Miami - Jackson Memorial program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

behindthadeuce

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone already interviewed here that can give some input about it. I'm debating whether or not to go since the trip is kinda out of my way and expensive. Is it worth it??

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard from fellow interviewees that it's a good program to visit. Apparently it has one of the top Trauma experiences in the Nation.

I haven't interviewed there yet, but plan to in January.

I can speak to the Miami program as I am a CA3 here. Firstly, I will admit I am biased, however I think in the very near future it’s going to become one of the top programs in the nation. The level of improvement over the last five years is dramatic to say the least. The Chair is a very driven man and has done an outstanding job in building the departments’ reputation and an incredible faculty. We have multiple book and research publications from all departments – The oral board prep book ‘Board Stiff’ and ‘Board Stiff II’ were written by our PD’s.

Because we are such a large program there are some real benefits. Firstly, we are one of the only programs the nation that is unionized. Our didactic sessions are totally protected and separated by class with CRNA’s relieving residents. So instead of everyone attending the same lecture each week there is a separate CA1, CA2 and CA3 lecture. Also because of the size we get outstanding visiting lecturers. We work hard, but it’s not a workhorse program. Most days we are out by 3:00.

Jackson Memorial is a HUGE entity. I’ve seen postings here from other residents commenting on the cases they see at their program and I have to smile a little. I can tell you for certain at Miami you will see everything there is – and lots of it. We work the full array of transplants including entire month long rotations doing just livers. (Remember there are some programs in the nation that do no transplants at all, as well as several that are not attached to a trauma center. The diversity of cases here is absolutely amazing. It is one the main reasons I chose this program to begin with.

The OB department gets all the high-risk deliveries from entire area. (OB is one of the major strengths. Jackson works a tremendous amount of deliveries – with a very large portion being C- sections.)

The other strength is Trauma Anesthesia. Jackson operates the largest level 1 Trauma department in the entire region. We have several fellowships per year and many residents from all over the nation doing electives in that department.

It can feel a little insane at times, particularly for the new CA1’s, but they say some of the best surgeons come from combat hospitals. Well, for anesthesia we’re about the closest thing there is to that in this part of the nation.

I’ve also read here that one major complaint about other programs is the lack of intra-operative teaching. Residents being left alone in rooms while the attending does who knows what. I feel one the smartest things our Chair did was designed a kind of bonus system for the attendings. These bonuses’s are paid based upon the reviews the residents submit of that attending. It is done in such a way that no one knows who wrote the review – not even the Chairman or P.D. As a result we get enthusiastic teaching in the O.R. from almost every attending.

Lastly, Miami is a great place to live once you know your way around a little. South Beach is minutes away with all that area has to offer. Great beaches, nightlife, restaurants ect... The only real hassle is of course – the hurricanes. Last season was great. The one before as you know was a pain, but it’s apart of living in So. Florida.

As you can tell, I’m very happy to have done my residency at Miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
former chair of the education committee...and former section head of OB ...is my current partner...

I can forward any questions you have to her for you.

btw I did my fellowship at UVA a while back.

Can anyone comment on Critical care fellowship at Miami? Noted good pathology and trauma, but how is the fellowship run?

Comments?

Yes that's true. I should have been more clear. He left last July. A stand-up comic kind of guy - Very funny.

The new P.D. is Mike Lewis. He is off to a good start and is certainly pro-resident. It's easy to tell he is working hard with the Chair to bring the program to a new level.

A month straight of livers and I promise you will never want to see one again.

We do tons of em at Rush. Great for throwin in Lines and yer swan but man I don't like transfusing upwards of 50units/50units of FFP and PRBC's and then have to bust out the nova 7 at 6am 18hours into the case.

Never-the-less the experience will grow hairs on the young ones.

Can't wait to get there and interview. Have heard very positive feedback from anesthesiologist up here in NY about the program.