This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxhockey18088

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone waiting to hear back from UMiami, I called today. I was informed that notifications will be sent out to everyone tomorrow if you're still waiting to hear back after being interviewed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted as well.
Does anyone know if UM has a ranked list or not? If they do, does anyone know how they are ranked?

Waitlisted also. They indicated to me that it is ranked in some form, but were not able to disclose our specific placement on the list. I suppose it's just a waiting game at this point.

Did your response literally say "waitlist?" I was placed on "alternate status," but wasn't sure if that was the same thing?

For those who have been waitlisted, the incoming class has only filled 40 out of 60 seats. So in the next 2 weeks they will start letting more people in off the waitlist as people don't send in their deposit. Good luck to you all and hope to see you at the U in May.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hang in there guys, still plenty of time left between now and May 22nd, hopefully see yall there.

For anyone waiting to hear back from UMiami, I called today. I was informed that notifications will be sent out to everyone tomorrow if you're still waiting to hear back after being interviewed.

I just declined my seat at Miami so I hope this helps someone!

Where have you decided to go and do you mind posting your stats?

Did your response literally say "waitlist?" I was placed on "alternate status," but wasn't sure if that was the same thing?
I was also placed on Alternate List. What are your stats?

For those who have been waitlisted, the incoming class has only filled 40 out of 60 seats. So in the next 2 weeks they will start letting more people in off the waitlist as people don't send in their deposit. Good luck to you all and hope to see you at the U in May.

How do you know that they have only filled 40 seats? I have been trying to get information from admissions but they are not saying much.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know that they have only filled 40 seats? I have been trying to get information from admissions but they are not saying much.
he's looking at the UM facebook page for accepted students, technically they only filled 38 spots since 1 person in there is a first year and the other in there is an administrator.

he's looking at the UM facebook page for accepted students, technically they only filled 38 spots since 1 person in there is a first year and the other in there is an administrator.
I thought that was what he was looking at but wasn't sure. This wait game is killing me, Lol! Thanks for your response. I appreciate it!

Hang in there guys, still plenty of time left between now and May 22nd, hopefully see yall there.
I am new to the forum Have you been accepted to UM's DPT program?

Was offered a spot off the "alternate list" (waitlist) this morning. That came much faster than I expected. I'll be accepting!

Really confused right now. I am waitlisted at UMiami, MGHIHP, URI, and UNE. Stats below. Don't know why I am not getting in. GRE is only possibility. Please let me know your thoughts.

Undergrad: Exercise Science, Biology, Pre-Med
Undergrad GPA: 3.5-3.6 (depends on school-retakes)
Prereq GPA: 3.4-3.6 (depends on school)
Graduate: Exercise Physiology
Graduate GPA: 4.0

GRE: 153 Q, 148 V, 4.5 A

Observation hours: 4,000 total working as PT Aide with all hands-on experience (3,000 outpatient in 2 clinics, 1,000 in-patient)

Extracurricular/Awards: 4-year college lacrosse player (2-yr all conference), VP of health club, brotherhood chair phi gamma delta fraternity, volunteer at foodbanks in underserved area, mentor in big brother program, calculus award, dean's list, athlete of the year, volunteer for medical conferences

Jobs: PT aide, certified personal trainer, strength and conditioning coach/intern, research assistant

Acceptances: None
Waitlist: UMiami, MGHIHP, URI, UNE
Rejections: Northwestern, UFlorida, Belmont

Really confused right now. I am waitlisted at UMiami, MGHIHP, URI, and UNE. Stats below. Don't know why I am not getting in. GRE is only possibility. Please let me know your thoughts.

Observation hours: 4,000 total working as PT Aide with all hands-on experience (3,000 outpatient in 2 clinics, 1,000 in-patient)

Extracurricular/Awards: 4-year college lacrosse player (2-yr all conference), VP of health club, brotherhood chair phi gamma delta fraternity, volunteer at foodbanks in underserved area, mentor in big brother program, calculus award, dean's list, athlete of the year, volunteer for medical conferences

Jobs: PT aide, certified personal trainer, strength and conditioning coach/intern, research assistant

The only thing I can see that is holding you back is your GRE verbal score, with a 148 that is only in the 38th percentile, meaning you only scored higher than 38% of the people taking the verbal section, out of lets say 2 Million people taking the test. Your quant score of 153 is at the 51 percentile. Many people overlook the GRE as a meaningless test but in this world were everybody has around the same GPA, your GRE scores can really set you apart. The GRE is not a test of intelligence, it only measures how well you take the GRE, with that said, with proper preparation anyone can get phenomenal GRE scores.

Letters of rec is another big thing, hopefully they were stellar.

I got my fingers crossed for ya.

The only thing I can see that is holding you back is your GRE verbal score, with a 148 that is only in the 38th percentile, meaning you only scored higher than 38% of the people taking the verbal section, out of lets say 2 Million people taking the test. Your quant score of 153 is at the 51 percentile. Many people overlook the GRE as a meaningless test but in this world were everybody has around the same GPA, your GRE scores can really set you apart. The GRE is not a test of intelligence, it only measures how well you take the GRE, with that said, with proper preparation anyone can get phenomenal GRE scores.

Everyone told me to spend the $1500 to get a tutor and retake the GRE. I decided it was more beneficial for me to put this money toward getting a master's degree in something relevant so that once I get into PT school, I will be ahead of the game. AND if I don't get into PT school, having a good GRE score literally means nothing, while a master's degree opens up other doors.

If it makes you feel better I got denied at URI (interviewed in January) and UMiami (no interview), and have a lower GPA than you (3.2 overall) (3.3 prereqs), GRE of 154, 157, 4. So your stats did get you ahead of some of us!
I'm currently on 5 wait lists so I know how hard it is to wait.
I think getting in really depends on who else is applying to the same schools as you, like how many applicants (ie; 500 vs 800), are you in state vs out of state and does that school care about that, if the other applicants have better grades than you etc.
Also, your interviews could have played a role. I know my first interview was URI and I pretty much sucked. In general I feel like these schools have some sort of system they use to give the best applicants spots to get their programs stats up (even if they think, wow this person doesn't seem interested, or they have a great GPA like 4.0 and barely hours in a PT setting or something.)
Idk but have hope you can still get in off a wait list! & if you do have to reapply I would retake the GRE and get new recommendations. Also, apply to schools with lower average GPA acceptances. That is literally why I applied to URI bc I saw the average was like 3.2 for accepted students. But who knows, I'm sure it changes every year! Anyways, I feel your pain. Good luck :)

If it makes you feel better I got denied at URI (interviewed in January) and UMiami (no interview), and have a lower GPA than you (3.2 overall) (3.3 prereqs), GRE of 154, 157, 4. So your stats did get you ahead of some of us!
I'm currently on 5 wait lists so I know how hard it is to wait.
I think getting in really depends on who else is applying to the same schools as you, like how many applicants (ie; 500 vs 800), are you in state vs out of state and does that school care about that, if the other applicants have better grades than you etc.
Also, your interviews could have played a role. I know my first interview was URI and I pretty much sucked. In general I feel like these schools have some sort of system they use to give the best applicants spots to get their programs stats up (even if they think, wow this person doesn't seem interested, or they have a great GPA like 4.0 and barely hours in a PT setting or something.)
Idk but have hope you can still get in off a wait list! & if you do have to reapply I would retake the GRE and get new recommendations. Also, apply to schools with lower average GPA acceptances. That is literally why I applied to URI bc I saw the average was like 3.2 for accepted students. But who knows, I'm sure it changes every year! Anyways, I feel your pain. Good luck :)

Thanks for the input!! Good luck to you too!

Thanks for your input!

For those who got accepted on 3/1, when is the deadline for the deposit? I'm just trying to get an idea of when those of us on the waitlist should start hearing back.

For those who got accepted on 3/1, when is the deadline for the deposit? I'm just trying to get an idea of when those of us on the waitlist should start hearing back.
they give you 10 days after you receive the certified letter of acceptance.

Ten business days ?

Did not specify, I'm assuming regular days because they send you an email first and then 4-5 days later you will receive the certified letter in the mail, so technically you had time already to decided from the date of the email, if that makes sense.

Does anyone know how many people have put in their deposit (or how many people in the fb group?)

Does anyone know how many people have put in their deposit (or how many people in the fb group?)

looks like 47 members in the facebook group, i believe they are accepting 60 or 63 can't remember

Has anyone been accepted to UM off the wait list. Still waiting. Any insight would help.

Has anyone been accepted to UM off the wait list. Still waiting. Any insight would help.

^^ feeling the same way, wouldn't they start accepting people off the waitlist by now if only 47 people are in the group?

^^ feeling the same way, wouldn't they start accepting people off the waitlist by now if only 47 people are in the group?

Somebody was just added today so they are still actively pulling off the waitlist

Somebody else just got added today, so the list is actively moving!