MHA for Med Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaredevilDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Benefits of MHA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A close friend of mine recently started one of the better MHA programs in the country. He believes this will make him a better candidate for medical schools? Is there any validity to this? Does the actual benefit of an MHA come later in life, when considering a hospital admin position or in private practice management?

It might especially if he does well.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else?

i took the plunge about 4 years ago right when universal healthcare / reform / etc was becoming a pretty serious issue.

got me a solid job, and got me into med school (and all my interviews seem to think i have a really unique background)

that being said, looks like a lot of people want to do the MHA/MPH in Healthcare admin route + work a few years in healthcare + go to med school, so i'm not sure it is so unique anymore.

I've got an MHA, my interviewer said it wasn't representative of rigorous graduate level science coursework though. If you want to work your way up the administrative ladder at a later point, an MHA or MBA is almost always a requirement. I'm still very glad I obtained mine.