MGH Interviews/Chances Article- Quote from Prog Dir

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deev04

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Came across a Boston Globe article on the impact of Trump's travel ban on residency program's rank lists. Contained a quote from the MGH PD with the number of apps/interviews, and info regarding nationalities of two people ranked (not sure how high). Not sure if these stats are common knowledge.

"Dr. Jatin M. Vyas, who directs the internal medicine residency program at Massachusetts General Hospital, said he received 3,700 applications for 45 residency positions this year. About 250 medical graduates were interviewed, and his final list of candidates, he said, includes one doctor from Iran and one from Iraq — two countries named in Trump’s executive order."
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ation-order/BTHCdec6aJtnbUBM178xyH/story.html

Article brings up some good points about the potential impact of the ban on rank list compilation. Will be interesting to see how many hospitals/PDs weigh their commitment to supporting qualified candidates from nationalities affected by the ban vs the practicalities of staffing concerns.

Members don't see this ad.

Came across a Boston Globe article on the impact of Trump's travel ban on residency program's rank lists. Contained a quote from the MGH PD with the number of apps/interviews, and info regarding nationalities of two people ranked (not sure how high). Not sure if these stats are common knowledge.

"Dr. Jatin M. Vyas, who directs the internal medicine residency program at Massachusetts General Hospital, said he received 3,700 applications for 45 residency positions this year. About 250 medical graduates were interviewed, and his final list of candidates, he said, includes one doctor from Iran and one from Iraq — two countries named in Trump’s executive order."
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ation-order/BTHCdec6aJtnbUBM178xyH/story.html

Article brings up some good points about the potential impact of the ban on rank list compilation. Will be interesting to see how many hospitals/PDs weigh their commitment to supporting qualified candidates from nationalities affected by the ban vs the practicalities of staffing concerns.

This has been discussed a bit in the spreadsheet: most places are either not saying anything or explicitly saying that it won't impact their rank lists.

Re: the number interviewed:matched, that seems consistent with the number I've heard for the truly "top" programs i.e. 4:1 or 5:1. I'd say 10:1 is more typical for the specialty as a whole.

most places are either not saying anything or explicitly saying that it won't impact their rank lists

Ya, I don't really see how faculty, hospitals, PDs, etc. can openly criticize the ban and speak to how much IMGs benefit our healthcare system and then openly admit to succumbing to the uncertainty and chaos caused by this administration.

Then again, maybe saying their hands are tied strengths their case? (doubtful our administration would care about this though)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, I don't really see how faculty, hospitals, PDs, etc. can openly criticize the ban and speak to how much IMGs benefit our healthcare system and then openly admit to succumbing to the uncertainty and chaos caused by this administration.

Then again, maybe saying their hands are tied strengths their case? (doubtful our administration would care about this though)

Honestly I think it would depend on the situation. In MGH's case they have apparently only 2 so even if both matched and were unable to get visas it probably wouldn't be the end of the world, but a PD who was ranking 10-20 (or probably) people from those countries would have to think long and hard as having 10 interns not show up for work sounds like a nightmare scenario.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed about top tiers not being the ones to really feel this dilemma.

However, don't smaller academic or community programs, especially in more rural areas, typically accept more IMGs? In this case, I would think the programs most likely to be impacted by the ban (re:accept IMGs) would also be ones really hurt by the loss of even one or two residents in a year.

However, don't smaller academic or community programs, especially in more rural areas, typically accept more IMGs? In this case, I would think the programs most likely to be impacted by the ban (re:accept IMGs) would also be ones really hurt by the loss of even one or two residents in a year.

FWIW I met people from the affected countries at several good programs albeit not MGH. I distinctly remember there were a couple of them at WashU just on the day I was there.

aPD has commented on this issue in the Gen Res forum. To summarize, he doesn't have anyone on his list from one of the 7 countries this year but if he did (and he has in the past), he would likely not rank them due to the uncertainty of them being able to get Visas and start on/near time.

MGH will be fine. It's small community programs who don't interview a lot of people and usually take a handful of interns from those countries that are in a tough spot. I can't blame them for not ranking these applicants. if you're running a 10 residents/year program you can't afford starting the year with 8 or even 9.
I met a student who was rotating at my hospital from one of the affected countries and it is as if his whole life/career is on hold right now until further notice.

Reactions: 1 user