Messed up in community college 5 years ago - What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laughidiots

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first thread and I just have a few questions regarding my chances for med school. Sorry to be that guy.

My general info:
Year in college: Junior
Major: Social Work
Minor: Psych
Clinical experience: 5 years in a SNF therapy gym, outpatient gym, and ALF gym. (hands on contact with hundreds of patients in those 5 years )
University GPA: 3.6~
Life GPA: 3.5~
and....
AMCAS GPA: 2.97~

My interest in medical school started recently and I was somewhat comfortable in my chances until I learned that AMCAS does not forgive.

I started my college experience at a community college in 2012 with no real direction. Ended up with a handful of C's and a few F's due to just not showing up (I retook these classes and made A's). Since then I transferred to a four year college with a major in Social Work and minor in Psych and have made mostly A's and a few B's. Made the Dean's list three times. The only science class that I have taken is anatomy and physiology 1 (B). Before I was aware of AMCAS' no grade forgiveness policy, I thought my chances were going to be decent if I do well in future science courses. Now I'm not entirely sure that even doing those classes will be able to bring my GPA up enough.

So my questions are: Did 18-year old self in 2012 completely screw over 23 year old self in 2017 for a shot at medical school in the future? How much of an upward trend is considered in the application process? I have been considering going back and getting a second degree in biology after I graduate in December. Is the second degree worth it to boost my GPA, even though I already have over 120 credit hours? I know that the more hours you have the harder it becomes to move your GPA up. The biology degree would require me to pick up another 64~ credits. I have zero loans now, and would absolutely need to pick some up for the second degree. Something to consider I guess.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Much will depend on your MCAT score. If you can increase your cGPA and sGPA to 3.1 and score at least 505 on the MCAT then you would be competitive for some DO schools, mainly the newer ones. For MD if you increase your GPA to over 3.2 and score 514 or higher on the MCAT then your chances are approximately 40% for a MD admission. Either way you need additional credits to raise your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all. This is my first thread and I just have a few questions regarding my chances for med school. Sorry to be that guy.

My general info:
Clinical experience: 5 years in a SNF therapy gym, outpatient gym, and ALF gym. (hands on contact with hundreds of patients in those 5 years )
and....

My interest in medical school started recently and I was somewhat comfortable in my chances until I learned that AMCAS does not forgive.

I started my college experience at a community college in 2012 with no real direction. Ended up with a handful of C's and a few F's due to just not showing up (I retook these classes and made A's). Since then I transferred to a four year college with a major in Social Work and minor in Psych and have made mostly A's and a few B's. Made the Dean's list three times. The only science class that I have taken is anatomy and physiology 1 (B). Before I was aware of AMCAS' no grade forgiveness policy, I thought my chances were going to be decent if I do well in future science courses. Now I'm not entirely sure that even doing those classes will be able to bring my GPA up enough.

So my questions are: Did 18-year old self in 2012 completely screw over 23 year old self in 2017 for a shot at medical school in the future? How much of an upward trend is considered in the application process? I have been considering going back and getting a second degree in biology after I graduate in December. Is the second degree worth it to boost my GPA, even though I already have over 120 credit hours? I know that the more hours you have the harder it becomes to move your GPA up. The biology degree would require me to pick up another 64~ credits. I have zero loans now, and would absolutely need to pick some up for the second degree. Something to consider I guess.

Some schools have a 32 credit-hour policy. I found this thread: The 32 hour rule
Not sure if it's the most informative, but it's a starting point.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

My general info:
and....

As much as it sucks, it seems that is the way a lot of it works. Depending on your future goals, I would consider completing the prereq courses. Weighing your GPA during your degree as well as your future MCAT scores will give more answers. If you find you have an interest in health care, then you can weigh your GPA/MCAT at the end of your Bio dgree in terms of what is available to you. Perhaps you will have a solid shot at an MD. Otherwise, DO schools seem to be more forgiving with your GPA. Another viable option is to look at health care options outside of medicine - perhaps pharmacy or PA school.

As much as it sucks, it seems that is the way a lot of it works. Depending on your future goals, I would consider completing the prereq courses. Weighing your GPA during your degree as well as your future MCAT scores will give more answers. If you find you have an interest in health care, then you can weigh your GPA/MCAT at the end of your Bio dgree in terms of what is available to you. Perhaps you will have a solid shot at an MD. Otherwise, DO schools seem to be more forgiving with your GPA. Another viable option is to look at health care options outside of medicine - perhaps pharmacy or PA school.
Yeah, I'm considering to just continue on to therapy school (which has been the plan the past few years). I only need a few more classes for that and they seem to be a tad more forgiving. Who knows. thanks!