Messed up 10 years ago, got it together. WAMC AA:19, TS: 20. Illinois.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqly

Reaction score
PAT:21, QR: 18, RC: 18, BIO:18, GC:19, OC: 23
I’m non-traditional student who really messed up when I first started college in 2010. I understand it’s not an excuse because many have worked and did well in school but I eventually dropped out in 2012 because I was unable to manage my time which led to poor grades(I’m talking about F’s during my last two semester).

In lieu of school, I opened my own restaurant which did very well, I was able to expand my restaurant and then decided it was something I did not find very fulfilling despite decent income. So, I sold the restaurant to my sister and went back to school in 2018, I did better this time around graduating with cum laude. As an undergrad I worked as a university tutor for organic chemistry which have earned me 2 glowing evaluations from science professor, obtained more than 200+ shawdowing hours and was even picked up to work as a dental assistant earning another 2 evaluation from dentists.

I concerned because of my academic background from nearly 10 years ago which diluted my gpa if we’re talking about the both transcripts as a whole my gpa is a 3.11. If we’re just talking about my most recent transcript from UIC than it’s a 3.6.

Apologies in advance for terrible english, it's not my first language.

Members don't see this ad.

PAT:21, QR: 18, RC: 18, BIO:18, GC:19, OC: 23
I’m non-traditional student who really messed up when I first started college in 2010. I understand it’s not an excuse because many have worked and did well in school but I eventually dropped out in 2012 because I was unable to manage my time which led to poor grades(I’m talking about F’s during my last two semester).

In lieu of school, I opened my own restaurant which did very well, I was able to expand my restaurant and then decided it was something I did not find very fulfilling despite decent income. So, I sold the restaurant to my sister and went back to school in 2018, I did better this time around graduating with cum laude. As an undergrad I worked as a university tutor for organic chemistry which have earned me 2 glowing evaluations from science professor, obtained more than 200+ shawdowing hours and was even picked up to work as a dental assistant earning another 2 evaluation from dentists.

I concerned because of my academic background from nearly 10 years ago which diluted my gpa if we’re talking about the both transcripts as a whole my gpa is a 3.11. If we’re just talking about my most recent transcript from UIC than it’s a 3.6.

Apologies in advance for terrible english, it's not my first language.
your english looks better than mine!

you sound like you have learned and grown
did you apply broadly and wisely?

Members don't see this ad :)
your english looks better than mine!

you sound like you have learned and grown
did you apply broadly and wisely?
I do feel like I have learned a lot since but I’m concerned it may not be so apparent to admissions so I’m looking for some insight so I can better plan my next move, such a taking the DAT again or apply for a masters. So far I’ve applied to 11 programs, including within my state. I’m not sure what you mean by “wisely”? If you mean applied to programs that are within my reach, then yes.

Have you talked with any admissions staff at those schools?
I have when I was still working towards my undergrad a couple years ago and it all seem to be very cookie cutter responses. I didn’t get any definitive direction about my situation though just emphasis on DAT score and GPA. I will try my luck and reach out again.

I have when I was still working towards my undergrad a couple years ago and it all seem to be very cookie cutter responses. I didn’t get any definitive direction about my situation though just emphasis on DAT score and GPA. I will try my luck and reach out again.
What questions did you ask them? If you're asking cookie-cutter questions, you're going to get cookie-cutter answers. What did you learn about how they would look at your past history?