Merritt Hawkins Physician Incentives and Recruitment 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
What’s with those huge starting salary slashes. Up to 15%?
The numbers are very small. Some specialties are based on recruitment offers of 50 . What it doesn't speak to directly is what
T sort of additional compensation like percent matching 403b or how good insurance plans are etc. I would take it with a grain of salt.

"The 2019 Review reflects a continued resurgent demand for radiologists. Merritt Hawkins conducted 148 searches for radiologists in the 2019 Review period, an increase of 572% over 2013/14. Though radiology topped the list of Merritt Hawkins’ most requested search assignments in 2003, demand for the specialty subsequently dropped precipitously due in part to the 2007 recession and to the growing use of both domestic and offshore teleradiology services. Renewed demand for radiologists was inevitable, however, because imaging remains central to diagnostic and procedural work in today’s healthcare system, in which very little transpires without a picture. The importance of radiology is enhanced with each technological advance (including artificial intelligence) that makes imaging techniques more varied and effective. A Health Affairs study projected that as the population ages, demand for radiology services will grow about 18% between 2013 and 2025 (Radiology Business April 14, 2017). A study in Mayo Clinic 2019 Review of Physician and Advanced Practitioner Recruiting Incentives 34 Proceedings ranked radiologists fifth among 23 specialties as having the highest rates of burnout (Mayo Clinic Proceeding Dec 2015). While 47.7% of radiologists reported burnout in 2011, the number jumped to 61.4% in 2014. Higher rates of burnout in the specialty are attributed to increasing volumes, decreasing pay, and other factors examined in more detail in the Merritt Hawkins’ white paper Supply, Demand and Recruiting Recommendations in Radiology.

Combine this with improvements in the economy allowing for more elective procedures and the effect of population aging on utilization, and demand for radiologists was going to rise at some point. Rising demand for radiology also is notable as it suggests that even with the widespread use of teleradiology, which allows for the distribution of imaging studies to radiologists nationally and even internationally, healthcare facilities are again seeking the assistance of recruiting firms such as Merritt Hawkins to help them find radiologists. Demand now is at the level where facilities are seeking both more traditional, onsite radiologists and those working as teleradiologists. Teleradiology has gained momentum recently due to technological advancements that improve quality and the ability of radiologists to work remotely. The long-term supply of radiologists will be constrained by the fact that over half of all diagnostic radiologists (53%) are 55 years old or older, compared to 42% of all physicians, and significant attrition can be expected in the specialty."

Reactions: 1 users
gahdamnit, of course in 5 years when i'm looking for a rads gig, the pendulum will have probably swung back to **** market

Remember, if a recruiter is representing a job, there is usually a reason. The job is often been hard to fill. Good jobs, not always, are easier to fill. I have known several people who found this out the hard way.

Reactions: 1 users
These numbers for IM hospitalist and FM are in line with what I have heard/seen from people who are already graduated and from PGY3 who already signed contracts.

Reactions: 1 user
Those starting salaries seem to line up with what I've seen around here. Good to see rads is back up!