Mentors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXEMC344

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently lost a patient who had been a prominent surgeon in his day, a long, long, time ago. His resident, whom I have worked with for 21 years, was present, and it was so obvious the impact that this old school surgeon had on his life. Whom are your mentors?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering why no one was responding. I thought it was a good idea for a thread. I understand. Perhaps the question should be "What did your mentors teach you, both about life as a surgeon and about daily practice as a surgeon?".

We all learn technical skill from a lot of different people along the way. But I most learned how to talk to and treat patients and how to respond when bad things happen from my mentor. All surgeons have things go sideways sometimes. Sometimes our fault and sometimes not. But standing up and handling that with dignity and without sharing blame, even if warranted, is huge. I will remember that all my life. And I think my patients appreciate my candor before and after an operation. In the good outcomes and the bad ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine taught me to be dedicated while at work but also be dedicated to stuff outside of work and have fun. He would patiently let me struggle through a case (as long as it was safe) so I could figure out how and how not to do things. He talked about finance and investments with us and helped review contracts and job offers for anyone who asked. He also rescued me from the employed position that was trying to force me to do a fellowship if I wanted to stay there.

Along with the answer that people are less inclined to compromise their anonymity, I can personally say I can't name any faculty I worked with that I'd consider a "mentor". Unfortunately, a lot of people I worked with in training were very flawed people, and I don't necessarily see myself looking to emulate their behaviors in or out of the OR.