Medical Mentioning (potentially) negative aspect of recommender in personal statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been volunteering at a neurology clinic for 2 years as a medical assistant. I'm using a specific example from this experience. The neurologist is extremely busy and usually schedules 20-30 patients in a 3.5 hour time span; this results in patient interactions that are very short and to the point ("Do you need a medication refill? Ok, sounds good. See me back in 2 weeks [leaves]). Many of these patients also need someone to talk to about what's going on in their life, or the struggles with their condition (patient population is very low SES). Many times, I'll take an extra 5-10 minutes to listen to them vent and empathize while the doctor takes care of paperwork.

Writing about this in my PS necessitates talking about the neurologist's bad bedside manner (which has benefits, insofar that more patients can be seen and served - I understand this and will include it). But I'm not sure if this would reflect negatively on me for discussing this about a mentor and teacher.

The person in question will not be reading my personal statement btw.
I dunno, I don't think it's "necessary" to throw the neurologist under the bus. Just say that you learn from these patient experiences, the patients seem to benefit from speaking with you, and leave out the part where the neurologist only sees them for a couple of minutes.

I would expect that when you ask for an LOR, the neurologist will ask to read your personal statement.

Members don't see this ad.

Idunno, I don't think it's "necessary" to throw the neurologist under the bus. Just say that you learn from these patient experiences, the patients seem to benefit from speaking with you, and leave out the part where the neurologist only sees them for a couple of minutes.

I would expect that when you ask for an LOR, the neurologist will ask to read your personal statement.
Agree 1000%

Status
Not open for further replies.