Mental health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khrd2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been feeling a bout of depression and anxiety during my clinical rotations. I feel really hopeless and I feel stuck. I have not been performing well on my exams and on my rotations. I want to see my school therapist but I don’t have the time because of the rotation. How do people cope with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m really sorry that you’re going through this. I would make time for whatever appointments you need in order to get your mental health back on track. If you aren’t well then it’s going to be extremely hard for you to learn and almost impossible to help anyone. Take care of you first and then worry about school second. Your school should have a policy in place for being able to miss a certain amount of days per rotation. Aside from that you can pull your preceptor aside and ask for some times to see your therapist/doc.

Reactions: 1 users
Most schools/preceptors will allow you to attend doctors appointment.
Just make an appointment with the therapist at the end of the day and leave a little earlier from your rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to hear more about what your rotations have been like for you. What's been happening that led you to feel more hopeless? Feel free to DM me if you'd rather talk in private.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools want you to succeed. Let the Dean of Student Affairs know sooner rather than later. They can refer you to the appropriate resources and can let your course directors / clinical teams know that you need to be excused (which will be done discreetly without sharing the actual diagnosis). It takes courage and insight to recognize that you need help. So thank you for reaching out.