Men's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in all honesty captainnerd, people at interviews usually look good. yes we are bland, but at the same time its kinda hard juggling so many different things.

I disagree. I'm a fourth year who (a) gives med school interview tours and (b) is interviewing for residency myself; I've been seeing a large number of interviewees lately. With any group of interviewees, the majority do not "look good" - most look "acceptable" at best with a solid number that look downright shabby (poorly fitting suit and/or crummy shoes) and another solid number wearing horribly chosen color combinations. There are usually one or two sharply dressed people per group at best. The groups tend to look more like kids playing dress-up than adults going on professional interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay; you've usually given advice I agree with, so I wasn't sure what was up.

Why don't you like purple? Or stripes? My favorite tie is purple with a nice fabric pattern and white stripes. =\

Stripes should be kept simple. Good luck finding a shirt with simple striping. I like stripes but only when they are simple. Which means only about 10% of my shirts are stripes. The average American probably has 70% of their shirts as stripes.

Most Americans like something called "mattress striping." Well, I'm not sure if they "like" mattress striping or if it's the only thing they can find on the market. Paul Smith admits that when he was first entering the design business, he had very little working capital so instead of going to shirting fabric producers, he got a lot of fabric from producers who generally produced inferior stuff for mattress sheets and bedding. And that's why they call it mattress striping. It's the ugly stuff used for bed sheets.

I have nothing against purple. But regal purple is rather dark. Too dark for a dress shirt. Dress shirts should be light in saturation when it is a solid dress shirt. The only time you're allowed to wear dark colors is if it is in a pattern such as when it is gingham or if the dark color is part of a stripe. A dark red shirt would be awful. But a white shirt with a dark red stripe is okay. Your tie and your socks should be the two places that you're allowed to really inject bold saturated colors. However, any pattern should contain white or a light color as a main part. A black and blue gingham would NOT be acceptable. A black and blue striped shirt would NOT be acceptable. A light pink shirt with gray stripes is acceptable but is less conservative than a white shirt with blue stripes. In essence, the more "white" a shirt becomes, the more conservative it is. Dark blue: no. Light blue: yes.

Matching is also something the avg person lacks. I see fellow students wearing microstriped shirts with microstriped ties all the time. I once saw a guy wearing a microstriped suit/microstriped shirt/microstriped tie. I told you; you Americans love stripes.

but as he said its an interview, some faculty are conservative
light pink is rather conservative. So is light lavenders and light purples. All light colors are generally conservative. Not as conservative as white or light blue. But still very conservative compared to what people this age normally wear. I see people in clinic wearing dark shirts or dark striping (black shirt with dark purple, silver, blue stripes) and wonder if they also wore that to interviews. And I've seen way too many saturated shirts to recall. Incredibly saturated green was the worst. I interviewed alone so I don't know what people wear to interviews. But from what I've seen at clinic, I'm a bit worried people have no sense of what is correct. And to think this takes much effort is not true. I don't read GQ or Esquire. I simply watch the news and see what politicians wear (generally not American politicians).

Last edited:
Oh.. the tie is purple. The shirt I'd wear it with is white or and almost-white lavender. I don't like dark shirts either. I can't remember if I posted a pic of it anywhere... I don't think I did =(

Can't stand stripes on more than one piece of the suit unless they're very different (very subtle blue pinstrips on suit versus thick stripes on tie and a solid shirt).

Members don't see this ad :)
captainnerd?
light pink is conservative? purple is conservative?
im not an expert but i dont think thats true..
i really dont think its a good idea to wear a pink or purple shirt to an interview.. right?
or am i wrong?

black suit/white shirt/solid tie = so boring

a good substitute for white is "ekru" (see link)

http://store.jacksonsmenswear.com/catalog/Dsc_6654.jpg

black suits are a bit flashy and a bit too "formal" (try dark gray or navy blue)
pin-stripes should be so subtle that they are not noticeable from several feet away

shoes:
burgandy/oxblood shoes go with ANY color suit
avoid black shoes with navy suit

if the school has distinct colors (i.e. electric blue/yellow), consider wearing a tie of those colors

I wore bright pink shirt with stripes.....

And I got in.

It was my only interview......

At the time, I didn't realize the importance of dressing up conservatively, so I just wore my grey pinstripe suit with a pink shirt I enjoy wearing, and I was the only one in the group who was not wearing black/dark suit with blue/white shirt.

But nobody cared. My first interviewer was an old MD and second was a young MD who just graduate last year.

So my suggestion is wear whatever colored shirt you want. I don't think it matters too much.:p

captainnerd?
light pink is conservative? purple is conservative?
im not an expert but i dont think thats true..
i really dont think its a good idea to wear a pink or purple shirt to an interview.. right?
or am i wrong?

Yes, light pink is conservative and light purple (more like light lavender) can also be conservative. If done correctly. Not as conservative as white or light blue. But still conservative compared to the crap I've seen. Mattress striping is never conservative. I think it is perfectly okay to wear light pink or light lavender. For the purpose of this thread and to simplify advice to pre-med students, it's probably best to just tell you guys to wear white and light blue. But light pink and light lavender is perfectly okay.

Fit has an amazing ability to make things appear more conservative. By having a shirt that fits well, it appears as though the person is well-off enough to have their shirts tailored, ironed, and pressed. Appearing sloppy gives the sense of being a thug.

I think luck is really important. If you get someone who doesn't care, then you can dress anyway you like. But what happens if you get someone who does care (and even if they don't care, how do you know the subconscious disagrees? How do you know what the subconscious is thinking? If you did, it wouldn't be the subconscious. If you refute the importance of the subconscious, then how do you explain the advertising industry?)? For some reason, my school puts a huge emphasis on presentation, maybe because optometry has a huge retail/business aspect to it (one of my professors owns a ton of windowpane odd jackets that look very expensive). All of the optometry professors seem to dress well. It's the associate professors that they hire to teach biochemistry and public health that seem to be way off.

Do you guys think there is emotional asymmetry when it comes to the way people respond to others' attire? Does seeing someone dressed well increase your positive emotions while seeing someone dressed poorly have no effect? Or does seeing someone dressed well produce no effect while seeing someone dressed poorly produce huge negative emotion? Or does both have an effect in their respective direction? Are these emotions quantifiable? If the studies that show obese people and unattractive people are subconsciously discriminated against, I'm pretty sure there's a subconscious affect to how people dress. Let's face it America, we're a pretty shallow country.

To Featherpen, ecru= no. Stay away from off-white. It looks like white that has been stained or worn down. White is a staple in the business world so if you can't stand it, tough. As for it being boring, the correct tie and pocket square can make your white shirt days interesting. Or wear a nice suit and your shirt will get none of the credit/attention. Sometimes, a flashy suit is best worn with a plain shirt or a flashy shirt requires a plain tie or suit.

Never wear a yellow tie. It can be done, but yellow is an awful color for men's clothing. It doesn't match well with anything. Google "yellow tie" and try to find a tie that is nice. It can't be done.

As for black suits, it has nothing to do with flashy. Black is generally reserved for very formal affairs such as evening wear or funerals. Black is simply a very poor investment. Black is not flashy. Black is formal. Interviews are business-like, not formal-like. Formal is going to awards, the ballet, the theatre, accepting awards, etc. These types of events may seem "flashy" but in actuality, they require everyone to dress the same. Black is simply a poor investment because dark gray is perfectly acceptable at funerals. At formal events, black must contrast with white. The reason why black is a poor investment is because black only seems to match with white. And no, black does not go well with black. In Japan, the black suit is a must-own.

And I disagree that boring necessarily means bad. Look how boring this guy is below:
attachment.php

Solid suit, solid shirt, simple tie with only two colors. Boring is good as long as fit is perfect.

Last edited:
Solid suit, solid shirt, simple tie with only two colors. Boring is good as long as fit is perfect.
Right, but fit can be really tough for guys on a limited budget. I wear 29x30 pants and it was nearly impossible to find anything that fit. Express has really good sizes, but not the right color to match my dark grey suit. Banana Republic has great sizes and fit, but crazy price. Etc. Etc. I wound up getting a Calvin Klein pair from Macy's that was pretty well priced at $40, but was a bit on a baggy/flowy side. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything better.

Blazers/jackets can be even harder to match, especially if you are skinny like me. I got lucky and found a really good grey blazer from Nordstrom's earlier in the semester and bought it on a whim. It was $200 but I wear it out to bars and stuff too.

I'm wearing this:
SHAD-MO189_V1-BIG.jpg

With this, except with really thin blue pinstripes
_5792205.jpg

Right, but fit can be really tough for guys on a limited budget.

A tailor can save you a lot of money (than going to bespoke or mtm). I think what you're wearing should be okay as long as it fits properly. Are you certain it fits correct?

I wear a 29x27 pants. I like my pants without any break (which is the way pants should be worn). I'm 5'5" so a bit on the short side and also thin. So I know how hard it is to find things that fit properly. Banana Republic has a house tailor and so does J Crew. I generally buy my pants at 30xwhatever (or 29xwhatever) and just bring it to a tailor to bring it to 29/30x27 or 29/30x28 depending on my mood.

Buy a suit that fits in the chest and bring it to a competent tailor to shorten arms and nip waist/sides or shorten quarters. Way cheaper than bespoke.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I do not have much insight into the technicalities of what is acceptable and what is not in the realm of formal/conservative suits for me. So here goes my query.

I am going to wear a dark/navy blue pinstriped suit (the pinstripes are very thin and can be seen on closer inspection). What would be the most appropriately colored shirt and tie for this? I have a tie with black-goldenish diagonal stripes. Is it a "conservative" fit for this pinstriped suit?

I bought a couple suits. One's a dark gray with pinstripes. The other is a dark, earthy green that's double breasted (that's right!). I fully intend on wearing that green suit with a supremely conservative ensemble that makes me look stuffier than the oldest doctor on the committee, but I will look good! :D

For my next interview I'm debating between:

doctor-scrubs-costume-1027.jpg

and

feb8a813e8ad9b4544f5dae8df.jpg

What is okay to wear outside of the suit for cold weather? There are various styles of coats, so I am wondering what is okay. Zipper wool coats with slanted pockets seems easy to find (and cheaper), but I wonder if this is the normal thing to wear with suits (versus button wool coat with horizontal pockets). Bah, I feel so silly worrying about these kinds of things, but I am completely new to all of this dressing up kind of stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never wear a yellow tie. It can be done, but yellow is an awful color for men's clothing. It doesn't match well with anything. Google "yellow tie" and try to find a tie that is nice. It can't be done.
have to disagree - i have a dark green wool suit that looks smashing with a yellow tie.

What is okay to wear outside of the suit for cold weather? There are various styles of coats, so I am wondering what is okay. Zipper wool coats with slanted pockets seems easy to find (and cheaper), but I wonder if this is the normal thing to wear with suits (versus button wool coat with horizontal pockets). Bah, I feel so silly worrying about these kinds of things, but I am completely new to all of this dressing up kind of stuff.

You see everything on interiew day with regard to outdoor garb. It doesn't matter to the adcom.

I have a question for any med students or adcom members on here,

I am part native American and have extremely long hair (below the shoulder) which I have grown for years as part of my heritage. Should I cut my hair to look more conservative before an interview?

I am part native American and have extremely long hair (below the shoulder) which I have grown for years as part of my heritage. Should I cut my hair to look more conservative before an interview?

Not necessary, at least at one school. Wear it in a ponytail. Up until a couple years ago I think we had a man with a ponytail on the adcom. We also had a student a few years ago who didn't cut his hair until residency interviews.

Native Americans have such awesome hair. I think it really adds to your "diversity" by representing your heritage in an appropriate way! Since LizzieM, who actually knows what she's talking about, seemed to say something similar, it sounds like you're in the clear! =)

Not necessary, at least at one school. Wear it in a ponytail. Up until a couple years ago I think we had a man with a ponytail on the adcom. We also had a student a few years ago who didn't cut his hair until residency interviews.

Thank you for this advice. With my unconventional application I'm really trying to make sure I take advantage of every opportunity. This includes making an excellent first impression when I am selected to interview.

I disagree. I'm a fourth year who (a) gives med school interview tours and (b) is interviewing for residency myself; I've been seeing a large number of interviewees lately. With any group of interviewees, the majority do not "look good" - most look "acceptable" at best with a solid number that look downright shabby (poorly fitting suit and/or crummy shoes) and another solid number wearing horribly chosen color combinations. There are usually one or two sharply dressed people per group at best. The groups tend to look more like kids playing dress-up than adults going on professional interviews.

Do you want to elaborate with some specific examples? Given how homogeneous the pool is and how difficult it is to mismatch colors on a full suit, it is hard to imagine that most of your interviewees are dressed poorly. I mean how bad the shoes or the tie must be to completely throw everything off?

And as far as a well fitting suit is concerned, usually the best fit is achieved by custom tailored suits and/or very expensive brands. I think it is important to keep in mind that not everyone can afford 1K+ suits. Probably such minute discrimination would be more common at the very conservative, more "prestigious" schools.

There is no excuse for badly mismatched colors, but is this a fashion pageant? And I think all that "blending in" deal has limitations at some point. I for one will be wearing my Dali tie with my non-black suit, and will have longer than average hair. As long as it is done tastefully, standing out makes a statement of it's own.

And as far as a well fitting suit is concerned, usually the best fit is achieved by custom tailored suits and/or very expensive brands. I think it is important to keep in mind that not everyone can afford 1K+ suits. Probably such minute discrimination would be more common at the very conservative, more "prestigious" schools.

I've interviewed a few guys in poorly fitting suits. In at least two cases that I remember quite well, they were poor students who had scraped up enough money to travel to my school. I found them quite charming. I wanted to take one home & feed him because he was so skinny and he didn't fill out the suit jacket. :) It certainly wasn't held against them and added some credibility to their self-identification as "disadvantaged" students.

Do you want to elaborate with some specific examples? Given how homogeneous the pool is and how difficult it is to mismatch colors on a full suit, it is hard to imagine that most of your interviewees are dressed poorly. I mean how bad the shoes or the tie must be to completely throw everything off?

I said most were dressed "acceptably", not most dressed poorly.

Bad ties and/or shoes can make an outfit look pretty terrible.

But, believe it or not I don't pay enough attention to fashion to recall specific examples (with the exception of one guy who was wearing a black pinstripe suit, black shirt, and black striped tie - that stood out in my memory). If you want specific examples - look at the many many pictures that have been posted on this thread.

I wish I had that kind of money. The most I've ever spent on a suit is $450 (this year, for my residency interviews), the only other suits I've ever worn were cheaper ones from Jos Banks. Basic tailoring is often included with a suit; alternatively a good tailor can alter your suit for usually <$50 and that is a great investment. I personally try to make sure that the suit jacket fits well off the rack (so that any alterations there are minor), and if I have to get the pants taken in or let out so be it.

Having well fitting clothes is not a privilege that belongs only to the "elite" - it just takes a small amount of time and/or effort.

There is no excuse for badly mismatched colors, but is this a fashion pageant? And I think all that "blending in" deal has limitations at some point. I for one will be wearing my Dali tie with my non-black suit, and will have longer than average hair. As long as it is done tastefully, standing out makes a statement of it's own.

As one of our advisors told us - you want to stand out on your interview day; but you want to stand out based on what you say, not how you are dressed.

Last edited:
I've interviewed a few guys in poorly fitting suits. In at least two cases that I remember quite well, they were poor students who had scraped up enough money to travel to my school. I found them quite charming. I wanted to take one home & feed him because he was so skinny and he didn't fill out the suit jacket. :) It certainly wasn't held against them and added some credibility to their self-identification as "disadvantaged" students.

The last guy I saw in a poorly fitting suit was wearing hugo boss (he had kept the armtag on - another faux pas discussed above); I don't think money was the issue for him.

Last edited:

:thumbup: Exactly my point. It is still possible that some adcoms, I hope a minority, would look at that with some negativity.

As one of our advisors told us - you want to stand out on your interview day; but you want to stand out based on what you say, not how you are dressed.

You're right, but we're not really talking about major deviations from the norm. It's just that it is not always bad to differ from the crowd with some little details, could even be a small pin. I think that sometimes that might actually help the adcom to remember you better (like you remembered that one black shirt/suit guy). As with everything though, the risks are high - if you make a good impression, then you will be remembered positively, but if you make a bad impression, then you are at risk for being especially remembered for it.

The last guy I saw in a poorly fitting suit was wearing hugo boss (he had kept the armtag on - another faux pas discussed above); I don't think money was the issue for him.

But obviously, he didn't have the upbringing to know that you take the little ribbon tag off of the sleeve of a suit jacket. It is possible, too, that he purchased it at a thrift shop or discount place. Years ago I bought a Burberry raincoat at a thrift shop in a well-to-do community. I paid about 5% of what it would cost new.

But obviously, he didn't have the upbringing to know that you take the little ribbon tag off of the sleeve of a suit jacket. It is possible, too, that he purchased it at a thrift shop or discount place. Years ago I bought a Burberry raincoat at a thrift shop in a well-to-do community. I paid about 5% of what it would cost new.

I guess it never crossed my mind to assume that everyone in a poorly fitting suit was poor... ;)

This conversation about looking poor is very interesting to me. I've always been broke but lately I'm getting killed to pay for applications. I started my interview shopping five months ago, carefully looking for the best items I could get from thrift stores. I've slowly gotten together a nice assortment of professional clothing that looks like it cost much more than it did.

I guess it never crossed my mind to assume that everyone in a poorly fitting suit was poor... ;)
Like Lizzy said, you can buy some very expensive brands at a fraction of the cost. Obvious places include Nordstrom Rack or TJ Maxx; however, the best place for these is Ross - just a month ago I bought an Armani shirt from there for around $25. Can you guess the original price? TWO HUNDRED! I buy brand names not to flaunt them (usually prefer no insignia), but because a.they last longer due to higher quality control and b.they fit much better.

But actually you bring up a good point. When students who can't really afford expensive brands are wearing them at an interview, they might send the wrong message to inexperienced adcoms who might think that the student was being deceitful in his application about his background. Not everyone is going to be astute and assume that the student went to Ross. It's best that both the students here and the adcoms keep this in mind.

One more thing: some poor families have parents that are so proud of their children's achievements that they will not spare anything and get them the best clothes possible for the interview in hopes of making them blend in. Do not be surprised if you see a poor fellow show up in an Armani suit that was bought at full price. The parents will now have an extra $2000 on their credit card debt. I have tried to change this trend with some friends I have and even within my own family in the past, but it is often impossible to get through. Parents who have not been able to help their children much financially seem to take a lot of pride in at least being able to provide the best clothes when the time is right.

Aside Q: I'd never noticed this before until some guy on our interview tours mentioned it to me. He asked why both buttons on my suit jacket were buttoned, and I asked why it mattered. He told me everyone wears it with just one button and I noticed, by looking at everyone in the following days, that he was right. Why is this?

I wore both because it made me look slimmer and taller, I didn't like the slack. The guy was kind of a smug douche but nevertheless, I did leave it at just one button for the rest of the interview day.

Is it wrong to wear both buttoned?
Also, is it good or bad to let a little bit of the cuff of your white shirt (1-2cm) show from the ends of your sleeves? Perhaps only if you are wearing cufflinks, otherwise keep the white hidden from sight?

Aside Q: I'd never noticed this before until some guy on our interview tours mentioned it to me. He asked why both buttons on my suit jacket were buttoned, and I asked why it mattered. He told me everyone wears it with just one button and I noticed, by looking at everyone in the following days, that he was right. Why is this?

I think it's because you only have to unbutton one button when you sit down. And you unbutton your jacket when you sit down because otherwise it bunches up. I hope my observation skills aren't totally off on this.

I wore both because it made me look slimmer and taller, I didn't like the slack. The guy was kind of a smug douche but nevertheless, I did leave it at just one button for the rest of the interview day.

Also, is it good or bad to let a little bit of the cuff of your white shirt (1-2cm) show from the ends of your sleeves? Perhaps only if you are wearing cufflinks, otherwise keep the white hidden from sight?

For whatever reason, we are to never button the bottom button of suit jackets. You could try on some three-button suits to see if you get that slimming effect. Just make sure to only button the top two...

Dunno why, but it looks extraordinarily nerdy to close both buttons. Don't do it...

That's perfectly normal, as long as NOT TOO MUCH of the shirt shows. Just a sliver; if it's more then you look like a pubescent 14 year old who just grew out of his old clothing.

I think it's because you only have to unbutton one button when you sit down. And you unbutton your jacket when you sit down because otherwise it bunches up. I hope my observation skills aren't totally off on this.

One day, the Prince of Wales decided to unbutton the bottom button. Then everyone copied him. That's how it started. It has become such a rule that nowadays suits are made so that when the bottom button is buttoned, the suit no longer feels comfortable. The quarters (or skirting) of the suit are cut away so from the buttoning point (that's where the true button is buttoned), the suit doesn't actually come close enough for the bottom button to meet up with the bottom buttonhole. To button the bottom button, you must pull the quarters close and this would cause the vents to open.

It is interesting to see an asymmetry of emotions by Lizzy. A very well dressed person would go unnoticed or have no impact on emotion but a very poorly dressed person would garner sympathy. Shouldn't a very well dressed person be lauded for their achievements or financial success? I dress well because I started my own business. I think it showed when I did my interviews. But I never mentioned that I owned my own business.

Shouldn't a school want a few rich students who , oh, I dunno, may contribute to the school's trust fund once they graduate?

It is interesting to see an asymmetry of emotions by Lizzy. A very well dressed person would go unnoticed or have no impact on emotion but a very poorly dressed person would garner sympathy. Shouldn't a very well dressed person be lauded for their achievements or financial success? I dress well because I started my own business. I think it showed when I did my interviews. But I never mentioned that I owned my own business.

Shouldn't a school want a few rich students who , oh, I dunno, may contribute to the school's trust fund once they graduate?

Truth be told, I knew these students' circumstances before I interviewed them (self-identified as disadvantaged, addresses, parents' education & employment, etc) and other information came out early in the interview that would clue me in to financial hardship. I've interiewed a couple hundred over the years and only two were from humble circumstances and had suits were poorly fitted. The well fed, well dressed, affluent are everywhere. What adds diversity to the mix (besides racial/ethnic diversity) is a variety of economic circumstances.

If you are able to be well dressed, you are fortunate and you may come off as confident, self-assured, and comfortable. If you have a family that doesn't even have the means (or credit) to buy you something and you make do with what you have or can find for a few bucks or borrow from a friend, then it won't be held against you and it might just get you the sympathy vote.

Having well fitting clothes is not a privilege that belongs only to the "elite" - it just takes a small amount of time and/or effort.

This poor sap has a tuxedo that is too long. And since it is too long, the location of the button (aka, the button stance, or buttoning point) is too low.
post_image-1202_elin_woods_00.jpg

Do not be surprised if you see a poor fellow show up in an Armani suit that was bought at full price. The parents will now have an extra $2000 on their credit card debt. I have tried to change this trend with some friends I have and even within my own family in the past, but it is often impossible to get through. Parents who have not been able to help their children much financially seem to take a lot of pride in at least being able to provide the best clothes when the time is right.

You're right, but we're not really talking about major deviations from the norm. It's just that it is not always bad to differ from the crowd with some little details, could even be a small pin. I think that sometimes that might actually help the adcom to remember you better (like you remembered that one black shirt/suit guy). As with everything though, the risks are high - if you make a good impression, then you will be remembered positively, but if you make a bad impression, then you are at risk for being especially remembered for it.

This amazes me. $2,000 for Armani? Is this Armani guy any good? Of course I'm being rhetorical. I still don't understand how Americans are so susceptible to marketing. The best things in life are never marketed. The best suitmakers do not advertise. The best stereo amplifiers (Krell, McIntosh) don't advertise (at least into the mainstream). It's not like buying a car or a tv where you can figure out horsepower and dot pitch and refresh rate. What is it about Armani that makes it "good?"

Am I superficial/material because I sought out a bespoke suitmaker that costs a lot of money but makes a product that will suit my body perfectly and will spend dozens of hours producing my suits? Or is someone who blindly buys an Armani suit that is made in a sweatshop in Malaysia superficial/material because they relied on name-branding?

Second, if the rewards/risk are so skewed towards, risk, then why risk it? If appears that a bad impression is created way easier than a good impression from clothes. Your clothes will only produce a marginal benefit if it is done well. While it is more likely that it will produce a huge negative result if done poorly. So why do I get such horrible responses when I tell people to simply stick with what works and to remain conservative?

Last edited:
That explains the late night drive -- he was on the way to his tailor! Yeah, that's the story. Tell it to the blond on his arm.

Actually, I believe he was rushing his approach to the hole (a hole not belonging to his wife) and he hit a water hazard. Then landed in some foliage. The double bogey almost left him six under. Tiger thought he could negotiate an easy lie (or lay). According to his wife, the hole was at the end of a dogleg. Talk about playing a round.

rachel-uchitel-meetup.jpg

If that's a dogleg, then that's one dogleg whose rough I would not mind getting lost in. And yes, I mean the lady on the left. And if you miss her hole, you'll just end up in her trap that is adjacent to her hole. And if you end up there, then you'll just stink. At golf.

I believe this is what you humans call, a quintuple entendre.

Last edited:
This conversation about looking poor is very interesting to me. I've always been broke but lately I'm getting killed to pay for applications. I started my interview shopping five months ago, carefully looking for the best items I could get from thrift stores. I've slowly gotten together a nice assortment of professional clothing that looks like it cost much more than it did.

This is a good approach. You don't need to go overboard buying something expensive for interviews. Just find something professional that isn't too ostentatious and you're good to go. If the thing you're remembered for is your outfit, something went wrong.

If wearing something particularly nice is a confidence-booster and helps you thrive in the interview, perfect. Other than that, I don't think it makes much difference.

When I interview an applicant, I might notice a nice suit or a poorly tied tie, but I forget all about it once the interview begins, and nothing's further from my mind when the evaluation occurs afterward.

have to disagree - i have a dark green wool suit that looks smashing with a yellow tie.

Post pictures. I've never seen a green suit and yellow tie so I wouldn't know what it looks like. So if you post pictures, we can get a better understanding of whether what you're saying is valid or not.

Looks like Jos A Bank is advertising on this site. Get a good deal and help out the forum.

Yeah, a few weeks ago they had a ridculous sale, something like "buy 1 get 3 free".

For anyone in the Central Florida area, Suit City in Orlando had some great buy one get one free deals on decent suits. Yesterday I ended up getting 4 for $200 yesterday, one black, one brown, one tan, one olive (which with my skin tone looks deceptively grayish). They measured me and made adjustments to the suit without charging extra so it was a great deal all around. I have no idea when the sale actually ends, but I'd say if you need a suit and have free time, take a drive out and browse. (Note: I personally didn't find their website's choices to look very appealing; the actual store had a way better selection, though).

Also if you're 5'6" and relatively fit (not skin and bones, but not too big) like me a 36S suit jacket might work on you.

That's my random input for today.

For anyone in the Central Florida area, Suit City in Orlando had some great buy one get one free deals on decent suits. Yesterday I ended up getting 4 for $200 yesterday, one black, one brown, one tan, one olive (which with my skin tone looks deceptively grayish).

Black, brown, tan, olive? I sure hope you already own blue, gray, charcoal already. Cause black, brown, tan and olive seem to be rather odd choices for suit colors.

Black, brown, tan, olive? I sure hope you already own blue, gray, charcoal already. Cause black, brown, tan and olive seem to be rather odd choices for suit colors.

They're all colors I've seen quite a bit, actually. Black is pretty much the default color when you think suit, so I'm not seeing the oddness there. It's something one generally wants to have in the event of a wedding, funeral, or otherwise sub-tux formal occasion. I see dark brown suits just about as often as I see blue ones, and I think they convey close to the same level of professionalism. Tan isn't too unusual either, though more so than the previous mentions. Olive I'll definitely give you, but like I said it manages to compliment my skin tone very well due to its subtle, almost gray hue. It wasn't a color I walked in considering. I saw it, tried it, showed it to people, and it just worked too well not to use.

The lighter grays are a little overplayed IMO and just honestly don't look as good on me as other colors (something that looks good on most people won't necessarily look good on you, or in this case, me). Charcoal is just a very dark gray and is easily substituted with a full black.

They're all colors I've seen quite a bit, actually. Black is pretty much the default color when you think suit, so I'm not seeing the oddness there. It's something one generally wants to have in the event of a wedding, funeral, or otherwise sub-tux formal occasion. I see dark brown suits just about as often as I see blue ones, and I think they convey close to the same level of professionalism. Tan isn't too unusual either, though more so than the previous mentions. Olive I'll definitely give you, but like I said it manages to compliment my skin tone very well due to its subtle, almost gray hue. It wasn't a color I walked in considering. I saw it, tried it, showed it to people, and it just worked too well not to use.

The lighter grays are a little overplayed IMO and just honestly don't look as good on me as other colors (something that looks good on most people won't necessarily look good on you, or in this case, me). Charcoal is just a very dark gray and is easily substituted with a full black.

Black is an awful color for a suit in terms of investment value. The only acceptable place would be a funeral. You can get away with charcoal to a funeral. Black is verboten at weddings unless in tuxedo form. In essence, black is frowned upon because it doesn't match well with other colors. It is morbid. Unless you plan on moving to Japan where black suits are de rigueur, a black suit should never be worn to a business environment.

Brown is an odd jacket color. By "odd jacket" I mean a sport coat (with no matching pants). By "odd jacket" I don't mean "hey, that's an odd color." There is a phrase amongst the well-dressed that goes "brown is for farmer." The color brown lends itself to interesting weaving like herringbone or glen plaid. However, in the form of a suit where the wool is simply worsted weaved, brown is, well, for farmer.

Of all those, the tan seems to be the most acceptable. Yes, before black.

I'm guessing it's a Florida thing?

210841.jpg

Last edited:
Black is an awful color for a suit in terms of investment value. The only acceptable place would be a funeral. You can get away with charcoal to a funeral. Black is verboten at weddings unless in tuxedo form. In essence, black is frowned upon because it doesn't match well with other colors. It is morbid. Unless you plan on moving to Japan where black suits are de rigueur, a black suit should never be worn to a business environment.

Brown is an odd jacket color. By "odd jacket" I mean a sport coat (with no matching pants). By "odd jacket" I don't mean "hey, that's an odd color." There is a phrase amongst the well-dressed that goes "brown is for farmer." The color brown lends itself to interesting weaving like herringbone or glen plaid. However, in the form of a suit where the wool is simply worsted weaved, brown is, well, for farmer.

Of all those, the tan seems to be the most acceptable. Yes, before black.

I'm guessing it's a Florida thing?

210841.jpg

Maybe you guys just can't pull off black suits..

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.