Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I vote for light grey suit:)

Members don't see this ad.

Guys.... this is an interview, not a fashion show. You truly do not need a 700 dollar suit and 250 dollar shoes. Just wear a dark colored suit that fits decently and a plain, light colored shirt. NOT drawing attention to your clothing is more important than looking like the guy on the cover of GQ.

Reactions: 2 users
If you know your suit size, I'd highly recommend buying used off ebay. You can have the suit tailored to fit you for an additional 50-100 bucks and you'd have a solid suit for under 300. Some people don't like going this route, but used shoes on ebay are also cheap. Allen Edmonds park avenues can be had for 50-100 bucks and will last you the rest of your life if you take care of them.

Honestly, you need to dress well and conservatively. The person above saying it's not a fashion show is dead right. I love menswear but I worked as a research coordinator when I was applying and interviewing so money was tight. I got a HUGE bang for my buck by buying used. I ended up with a suit I can wear through med school and beyond for the same amount as I would have paid at menswearhouse etc.

Suit supply is a really good option as well, but you have to be familiar with their fits. For the same price, you can get a brooks brothers golden fleece suit on ebay. Those things cost like 2k new and the quality is pretty solid.

There are a few other brands that can be had pretty inexpensively for decent quality, J. Press, HSM (some of their stuff is good), Coppley, hickey freeman, and if you get lucky you can get zegna and canali for that price range too. Just watch out for old suits. They'll look odd if you get something older than 10-15 years since the lapels have changed a lot and it'll look like you're borrowing your dad/grandfathers suit!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1438027301.334230623.primary.original.jpg

Opinions on this for interview? I want to get a suit that would be interview appropriate, but not too formal for more casual events.
I have a charcoal suit already.

No socks. Bad shoes. Tie clip. Is that a pocket square I see?
I think it looks good on this guy, who is a 10/10, ridiculously handsome model.

Anyone else would look like an idiot in that suit.

I agree.
I'd rather see a good second-hand suit, tailored well, than a shiny, poorly made or ill fitting one.

If you know your suit size, I'd highly recommend buying used off ebay. You can have the suit tailored to fit you for an additional 50-100 bucks and you'd have a solid suit for under 300. Some people don't like going this route, but used shoes on ebay are also cheap. Allen Edmonds park avenues can be had for 50-100 bucks and will last you the rest of your life if you take care of them.

Honestly, you need to dress well and conservatively. The person above saying it's not a fashion show is dead right. I love menswear but I worked as a research coordinator when I was applying and interviewing so money was tight. I got a HUGE bang for my buck by buying used. I ended up with a suit I can wear through med school and beyond for the same amount as I would have paid at menswearhouse etc.

Suit supply is a really good option as well, but you have to be familiar with their fits. For the same price, you can get a brooks brothers golden fleece suit on ebay. Those things cost like 2k new and the quality is pretty solid.

There are a few other brands that can be had pretty inexpensively for decent quality, J. Press, HSM (some of their stuff is good), Coppley, hickey freeman, and if you get lucky you can get zegna and canali for that price range too. Just watch out for old suits. They'll look odd if you get something older than 10-15 years since the lapels have changed a lot and it'll look like you're borrowing your dad/grandfathers suit!

REALLY good advice here. If you can't afford a good new suit, go for a really good used suit, knowing you'll have to invest a little in tailoring but that the end result will be a much better solution. You'll need to allow a few weeks for this -- about 2 weeks for the suit to arrive and another 1-2 weeks for tailoring. But the value cannot be beat.

The trick to making this work is finding a suit jacket that fits in the shoulders and chest and is long enough in the sleeves and slacks length. So if you have a suit jacket that fits you reasonably well, measure it across the shoulders and pit-to-pit as well as overall length. Look at a few ebay listings to see how they're measured, and do that.

No socks. Bad shoes. Tie clip. Is that a pocket square I see?

I should have been clearer. The picture was obviously pulled from some website so everything else aside, opinions on just the suit color? I really would like a backup suit that passes for interviews and flexible enough for casual wear.

I'm not about to read every page in this thread, but maybe someone can help me. Would something like this be appropriate for a medical school interview? If it makes any difference I'm interviewing in the Southeastern US.
View attachment 207866
Reminded me of one of the greatest posts in SDN history

Strapping a dildo to your head with a belt would be less problematic than not wearing a tie to your med school interview.

I should have been clearer. The picture was obviously pulled from some website so everything else aside, opinions on just the suit color? I really would like a backup suit that passes for interviews and flexible enough for casual wear.
The color is fine.

REALLY good advice here. If you can't afford a good new suit, go for a really good used suit, knowing you'll have to invest a little in tailoring but that the end result will be a much better solution. You'll need to allow a few weeks for this -- about 2 weeks for the suit to arrive and another 1-2 weeks for tailoring. But the value cannot be beat.

The trick to making this work is finding a suit jacket that fits in the shoulders and chest and is long enough in the sleeves and slacks length. So if you have a suit jacket that fits you reasonably well, measure it across the shoulders and pit-to-pit as well as overall length. Look at a few ebay listings to see how they're measured, and do that.

Ebay actually makes buyers ship within 2-3 days to keep their status, so it usually gets to you within a week shipped USPS.

Re: measuring suits. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/how-to-measure-a-jacket/
To measure pants, just measure the waist with the pants laid flat and the inseam (crotch to end).

Sleeve length and inseam are pretty easy to alter if things are a bit long. If things are too short, you need to make sure that things have enough fabric to let out and this can be hard to do when buying online. Though most sellers list how much fabric is left by putting the info next to it. So if it says:
"Sleeves: 25 (+2)", it usually means that sleeves are 25 inches with 2 inches left in there. Usually that means a tailor can take them out 1-1.5 inches without affecting how things look. Same applies for pants, except you need more fabric if you want cuffs there (which is something I prefer with suits).

The color is fine.

Correct.

Basic question here, how mandatory is it to wear a two piece suit to interviews? I have a pretty kickass outfit consisting of brown dress pants, a blue sportcoat and dark brown Allen Edmonds w/shirt and tie of course. Would this be viewed as too casual? I have a medium gray two piece suit that will be my go-to outfit but just want to know if this is a viable backup.

I'm nowhere near this stage yet, but how are suspenders treated by interviewers?

Would it be considered professional to wear black/gray suspenders with a charcoal suit?

I disagree with gyngyn. Suspenders/braces are fine. If you wear them correctly you can't tell that they're on. If you have belt loops on your suit pants though, then why bother? It looks odd. Usually suit pants are specifically made for braces and have a place for brace buttons and no belt loops.

Wear. A. Suit.

How many times does this have to be said ???!!!!

Ad infinitum.

The other outfit sounds dope. Wear it out with your friends to the bar. Then wear a bloody suit to the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree with gyngyn. Suspenders/braces are fine. If you wear them correctly you can't tell that they're on. If you have belt loops on your suit pants though, then why bother? It looks odd. Usually suit pants are specifically made for braces and have a place for brace buttons and no belt loops.
Ok. How about don't wear suspenders in California?
It is more than 2 SD's from the norm.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. How about don't wear suspenders in California?
It is more than 2 SD's from the norm.

You wouldn't be able to tell if someone was wearing them. They're definitely more comfortable and like I said, you really can't tell. If you think no belt looks odd, then that's okay I guess. I wouldn't fault someone for wearing braces. If the pant has belt loops though... use them.

You wouldn't be able to tell if someone was wearing them. They're definitely more comfortable and like I said, you really can't tell. If you think no belt looks odd, then that's okay I guess. I wouldn't fault someone for wearing braces. If the pant has belt loops though... use them.
If I can't tell...then, I agree.

Thanks for your time, no thanks for the attitude
It's just that the question has been asked and answered many a time, so it's understandable if SS finds himself slightly frustrated by it. I too wish there could be more flexibility, but sadly medicine is a conservative field style wise.

I've read through a couple pages of this thread and want to ask if the following would be good to wear for an interview:

Navy suit
White dress shirt and white undershirt
Plain or pin stripe light blue tie
Navy dress socks that match the suit
Black shoes that match a black belt.
Black watch.

I'm unsure about what the color of the shoes and belt should be. Black or perhaps brown?

@gyngyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read through a couple pages of this thread and want to ask if the following would be good to wear for an interview:

Navy pantsuit
White dress shirt and white undershirt
Plain or pin stripe light blue tie
Navy dress socks that match the suit
Black shoes that match a black belt.
Black watch.

I'm unsure about what the color of the shoes and belt should be. Black or perhaps brown?

@gyngyn

A maroon tie gives contrast to a navy suit. Pin dots are a nice touch.
I like cordovan shoes with a navy suit, but black is fine.

Edit: I thought for a moment I was in the other interview thread when I saw pantsuit!

A maroon tie gives contrast to a navy suit. Pin dots are a nice touch.
I like cordovan shoes with a navy suit, but black is fine.

Edit: I thought for a moment I was in the other interview thread when I saw pantsuit!

Thanks. I went with a maroon tie and bought a light blue tie for an alternate. I decided on black shoes, the cordovan was too strong for my taste.

How do yall feel about this color?

Attachments

• c964dae8fe35ce96ef4c4ec60952499f.jpg
    c964dae8fe35ce96ef4c4ec60952499f.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 80
I need some advice, I have a really nice black/really dark navy suit. I also have a pair of beautiful black oxfords. Unfortunately, black on black seems a bit boring. Also the shoes chafe my pinky toe just a little bit and can get painful with more than an hour of walking. Does this mean my shoes are too small or too big? Or should I use some sort of cushion to prevent chafing? Some have suggested "moleskin".

If the sizing is an issue, I wouldn't mind getting a new pair of shoes. That being said I really liked the colors of either the plum or dark brown double monks found here.
https://meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4661#
https://meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4335#
What do you guys think about the color and would a double monk be appropriate footwear for interviews? I know they aren't the traditional oxfords but I enjoy being just a little bit different. Is it too much?

@gyngyn I enjoy your fashion advice! Any thoughts? Thanks :)

I need some advice, I have a really nice black/really dark navy suit. I also have a pair of beautiful black oxfords. Unfortunately, black on black seems a bit boring. Also the shoes chafe my pinky toe just a little bit and can get painful with more than an hour of walking. Does this mean my shoes are too small or too big? Or should I use some sort of cushion to prevent chafing? Some have suggested "moleskin".

If the sizing is an issue, I wouldn't mind getting a new pair of shoes. That being said I really liked the colors of either the plum or dark brown double monks found here.
What do you guys think about the color and would a double monk be appropriate footwear for interviews? I know they aren't the traditional oxfords but I enjoy being just a little bit different. Is it too much?

I recommend lace ups, not double monks.

You should never wear any color shoes other than black for a professional interview if you're wearing a black suit. If you're wearing navy, dark brown or cordovan shoes with matching belt are also acceptable.

You should never wear any color shoes other than black for a professional interview if you're wearing a black suit. If you're wearing navy, dark brown or cordovan shoes with matching belt are also acceptable.

Or better yet, don't wear a black suit.

Reactions: 4 users
What's the opinion on wearing a blazer and wool trousers or cuffed chinos?

It will show a lack of interest, research and/or good judgement.

that's a shame...i'd rather have a well fitting, well pieced together outfit than a shoddy constructed polyester lined black suit.

that's a shame...i'd rather have a well fitting, well pieced together outfit than a shoddy constructed polyester lined black suit.
I'd rather have someone buy a good used suit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding suits, would ministripes such as this be penalized? It's subtle, and I bought something similar but am unsure if I have to return it.
product~p~3747T_01~460.1.jpg

Hi quick question, I was planning to wear this tie with a standard navy suit/white shirt/brown shoes combo. The color combo works well imo, but I just wanted to get your guys' opinion on the little off-colored flecks in the tie. (obviously not talking about the microdot pattern) In person it looks good, but I'm just wondering if it's a bit too casual? The texture is very rough and slubby. I love this tie as a day-to-day wearer, but just curious if you guys think it's inappropriate for an interview. Rest of my outfit will be very conservative in both fit and style.
B1830_NT1284.jpg

Is there really much of a difference between a dark charcoal and a black suit? When people recommend a charcoal suit, is it on the lighter side towards grey or darker like black?

Is there really much of a difference between a dark charcoal and a black suit? When people recommend a charcoal suit, is it on the lighter side towards grey or darker like black?
In my experience, charcoal suits are just a few shades lighter than black, so definitely on the darker side.

I plan on going to a SuitSupply retailer nearby and picking up a Navy suit. I noticed that they have in-store minor alterations, would I still need to get it tailored separately? (excuse my ignorance I have never tailored a full suit, only a tux). Also, are there any styles of navy suits/brands from SuitSupply that anyone could please recommend? Solid navy.

I plan on going to a SuitSupply retailer nearby and picking up a Navy suit. I noticed that they have in-store minor alterations, would I still need to get it tailored separately? (excuse my ignorance I have never tailored a full suit, only a tux). Also, are there any styles of navy suits/brands from SuitSupply that anyone could please recommend? Solid navy.

If you have a normalize physique then you should be able to get a well fitting suit with only minor alterations (sleeve length, pants leg length, waist). If you have odd proportions (large midsection, very tall, very lengthy extremities, huge drop from chest to waist), you may still need to go to a tailor

I know nothing about fashion, but I bought a Lazio in navy and believe it to be fresh to death. I think which cut is best will depend on your body type.

You should always visit a tailor with a suit - at the very least, most suits need the pants hemmed. Unless you have a really standard body, there are always alterations that need to be done to make the suit fit better. You should go into it with a good understanding/thought of how you want the suit to fit and then have it tailored to fit your body. Very few off-the-rack suits fit perfectly prior to tailoring.

You should always visit a tailor with a suit - at the very least, most suits need the pants hemmed. Unless you have a really standard body, there are always alterations that need to be done to make the suit fit better. You should go into it with a good understanding/thought of how you want the suit to fit and then have it tailored to fit your body. Very few off-the-rack suits fit perfectly prior to tailoring.

If you have a normalish physique, you can find a suit that only needs pants hemmed / waist let our or taken in / sleeves adjusted. You shouldn't have to go and get all sorts of high skill tailoring done - just pick a different suit from the get go that fits better. Unless you have a tailor you trust, I wouldn't let one touch the collar / shoulders / remove sleeves / etc. Anything more involved than what was previously mentioned really

If you have a normalish physique, you can find a suit that only needs pants hemmed / waist let our or taken in / sleeves adjusted. You shouldn't have to go and get all sorts of high skill tailoring done - just pick a different suit from the get go that fits better. Unless you have a tailor you trust, I wouldn't let one touch the collar / shoulders / remove sleeves / etc. Anything more involved than what was previously mentioned really

I'm not talking about lots of tailoring - I'm talking about pants getting hemmed and sleeves adjusted, specifically. The torso of the jacket can almost always be made to fit better but the shoulders should always fit off-the-rack. That's because the shoulders are the hardest part to get adjusted so one might as well just get it right when one buys it. Now, I'm not saying that a suit off-the-rack would look horrendous if one does not tailor it to one's own body. I'm saying that the suit can almost always be made to fit better to one's body - how much you want it tailored will depend on how picky you are with how the suit fits.

I'm not talking about lots of tailoring - I'm talking about pants getting hemmed and sleeves adjusted, specifically. The torso of the jacket can almost always be made to fit better but the shoulders should always fit off-the-rack. That's because the shoulders are the hardest part to get adjusted so one might as well just get it right when one buys it. Now, I'm not saying that a suit off-the-rack would look horrendous if one does not tailor it to one's own body. I'm saying that the suit can almost always be made to fit better to one's body - how much you want it tailored will depend on how picky you are with how the suit fits.

I'm making the distinction because he asked specifically about tailoring in addition to minor in store alterations, which typically will include what you just said

@gyngyn

I would appreciate any input on this, is this conservative enough/appropriate? The shirt is a lighter purple

Attachments

• Sample Dress Attire.PNG
    Sample Dress Attire.PNG
    178.7 KB · Views: 201