Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people who don't know tie knots what kind is acceptable. I typically wear a full windsor knot. Will that be a good knot to stick with or should I go with the four in hand?

Members don't see this ad.

For people who don't know tie knots what kind is acceptable. I typically wear a full windsor knot. Will that be a good knot to stick with or should I go with the four in hand?

Windsor is best if your collar has at least a moderate spread since it's a wider knot. Four-in-hand works best if you have a narrower point collar.

url

url

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Windsor is best if your collar has at least a moderate spread since it's a wider knot. Four-in-hand works best if you have a narrower point collar.

url

url
I wear a half-windsor or four in hand (I am small so a wide collar looks bad). Depends on the tie. Thinner materials sometimes have too small of a knot with the four in hand. Always dimple.

FlowRate, what type of dress shirt is appropriate with a suit? I know this is mostly splitting hairs, but since I need to get a dress shirt and I realized there are a bunch of different collars around, I figure I'll do it right the first time. I read somewhere that you're supposed to use a spread collar with a suit, and absolutely no button collar?

I wonder if anyone has worn scrubs to an interview. Highly likely they would not even bother interview you, but you'd have to think they appreciate the initiative.

If Captainnerd doesn't come back I'm following flowrate's advice. Solid

agreed.
Visit styleforum.net , There's a lot of good ideas for suits/ties/shoes/ps'. Granted, most of the people on there make well above the average Joe, but it's a nice place to get ideas from. Captainnerd swears/swore by this site.

Full windsor is considered big and douchey. I think even LizzyM commented to that affect one time. Half windsor, (double sometimes) four-in-hand, and (double or single) Pratt are good choices.

url

url

This is good advice.

Some people in the fashion/style groups insist Four-In-Hand only because, if you tie it well, it looks good, but not try-hard, whereas the windsor is symmetric and therefore fussier.

I wear a half-windsor or four in hand (I am small so a wide collar looks bad). Depends on the tie. Thinner materials sometimes have too small of a knot with the four in hand. Always dimple.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Thickness of tie fabric is a good metric.

FlowRate, what type of dress shirt is appropriate with a suit? I know this is mostly splitting hairs, but since I need to get a dress shirt and I realized there are a bunch of different collars around, I figure I'll do it right the first time. I read somewhere that you're supposed to use a spread collar with a suit, and absolutely no button collar?
I prefer spread collar. There are actually over 20 types of collars, but most people simplify them to the three most popular--spread, point, and button-down. Button down is not typically to be worn with a tie and is not formal enough for an interview. I think point collars look nerdy. Spread collars are in right now.

True. More time should be spent on preparing for the interviews. An acceptance isn't based on the suit. Keep it clean, simple, pressed, etc.

Dressing up for an interview isn't rock science or some art to master. Keep it simple. As long as you don't look like you're wearing your dad's suit, it's fine. Most kids have black suits (75-85% as some of you said) and it didn't stop them from getting acceptances. I agree with most of CodeBlu's posts.

And this probably applies to over half of you in this thread...

having just gone on a hunt for an interview shirt this weekend, I will offer an endorsement for the Brooks Bros non-iron slim fit. either Ainsley or point collar will work great.

I'm on a budget like most people here so I tried a department store first. found a decent fitting shirt on sale for about $20 and came close to buying it, but I'm glad I noticed the horrific sewing. it may have cost < 1/4 of the BB shirt but the interview is not the time to be pulling out a 55% poly shirt that is about to fall apart. but when I need some to wear on the wards or elsewhere for med school obligations, I know where I'll go.

$93 isn't cheap for a shirt, but if you look at it as an investment in your wardrobe it may be more justifiable. depending on the frequency of wear and how well you maintain it, it could very well still be going strong in your residency interviews.

I would definitely recommend watching Mad Men for examples of good business style.
mad-men-2.jpg

having just gone on a hunt for an interview shirt this weekend, I will offer an endorsement for the Brooks Bros non-iron slim fit. either Ainsley or point collar will work great.

I'm on a budget like most people here so I tried a department store first. found a decent fitting shirt on sale for about $20 and came close to buying it, but I'm glad I noticed the horrific sewing. it may have cost < 1/4 of the BB shirt but the interview is not the time to be pulling out a 55% poly shirt that is about to fall apart. but when I need some to wear on the wards or elsewhere for med school obligations, I know where I'll go.

$93 isn't cheap for a shirt, but if you look at it as an investment in your wardrobe it may be more justifiable. depending on the frequency of wear and how well you maintain it, it could very well still be going strong in your residency interviews.

BB Extra slim fit is great for anyone with an average or skinnier body type :). Can eBay to see if there are any BB shirts on there. Cheaper alternatives include Nordstrom Rack's Nordstrom-branded "Trim" (double check on that in the store) fit shirts.

I would definitely recommend watching Mad Men for examples of good business style.
mad-men-2.jpg
The ties are a little short here. But yeah, madmen brought back the pocketsquare in the public eye.

mad-men-2.jpg
All of those ties are way too short. A tie should lie not below the belt buckle, and not above the waistband. Also, double breast is a no-no for interview. The guy in Grey is perfect except for the tie, but his is really close to being acceptable.

RE: collars. That is kind of splitting hairs some-what. Don't do a different color than the shirt. White collar on blue shirt is a no. Spread collars are nice, but if you have a small neck they can look weird (they point out at your shoulder instead of down and out a bit). Point collars are dressy, button collars are okay but considered by most to be a bit more casual. In terms of fabric, it is really preference. I prefer a thicker oxford to the more light weight broadcloth. I don't buy super expensive shirts, I just buy shirts more frequently, and do the terrible care for them of washing them not dry cleaning.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed.
Visit styleforum.net , There's a lot of good ideas for suits/ties/shoes/ps'. Granted, most of the people on there make well above the average Joe, but it's a nice place to get ideas from. Captainnerd swears/swore by this site.
Some of it is nice there but you have to weed stuff out. Some people are very fashion-y and you don't want to be fashionable. captainnerd talked about that in the past. You want style, not fashion. Make traditional look good and you will be noticed.

Always have your clothing well tailored and be prepared to tell them how you want it done. Some tailors are used to doing what the average person asks for, which does not look nice at all. There should be little to no break in your pants. You want the undershirt to show in the sleeves of the coat a bit.

I prefer spread collar. There are actually over 20 types of collars, but most people simplify them to the three most popular--spread, point, and button-down. Button down is not typically to be worn with a tie and is not formal enough for an interview. I think point collars look nerdy. Spread collars are in right now.

thanks for the help :thumbup:

thanks bucks, i was looking at BB and didn't know which collar to get. $93 is a |-|ell of a lot of money for a single shirt though, esp. w/ the amount of wear and tear a shirt gets compared to a suit jacket. any other cheaper places you saw decent shirts at?

thanks for the help :thumbup:

thanks bucks, i was looking at BB and didn't know which collar to get. $93 is a |-|ell of a lot of money for a single shirt though, esp. w/ the amount of wear and tear a shirt gets compared to a suit jacket. any other cheaper places you saw decent shirts at?
Seriously, check out Nordstrom rack if you have one nearby (or online). I bought a trim fit, non-iron shirt there for like 39? the other day. Really nice shirt, too. Great fit.

Some of it is nice there but you have to weed stuff out. Some people are very fashion-y and you don't want to be fashionable. captainnerd talked about that in the past. You want style, not fashion. Make traditional look good and you will be noticed.

Always have your clothing well tailored and be prepared to tell them how you want it done. Some tailors are used to doing what the average person asks for, which does not look nice at all. There should be little to no break in your pants. You want the undershirt to show in the sleeves of the coat a bit.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Ask andy about clothes is another good forum. The guys there are older than at styleforum and so dress more conservatively (appropriate for interviews). Beware of the guys who dress a little too foppish there though, those looks aren't appropriate for interview. Also, AAAC has a good number of old guys trying to learn how to dress, so try and weed those out too (you can tell those by seeing the comments of others).

This is going to sound like an advertisement but I'm just excited after hearing about this website from styleforum, called moderntailor.com. You put in your measurements (recommended to be based off your best fitting shirt) and customize absolutely everything, from fabric to cuff style. It's cheap compared to brand names and you're guaranteed the fit you want. They get good reviews on styleforum for making shirts to the exact specs you give them. The downsides are that you don't get to feel the fabric before it gets made, and it takes 2-3 weeks to deliver because 1) it's custom made and 2) they're in Shanghai. However, you can buy fabric swatches and they give you n $10 coupons for future purchases equal or greater to the money you paid for the swatches.

I haven't tried it yet but I plan to for my next shirt, based off the measurements from this shirt I got tailor made in Shanghai but feels just a tad too constricting.

New customers get a "trial" discounted shirt (black or oxford blue for $20, white for $25). Shipping is ~$7. The cost of other shirts varies depending on the fabric, of which there are over 1000, and range from $40 to $190.

Given all these choices, I need advice:
Classic vs cut-away collar?
Common vs stiff vs soft collar lining?
Collar stays? Removeable?
Cuffs: round vs square vs cut corner vs portofino (???) vs french vs convertible square+french?
Match/contrast color of buttons with color of shirt?
Front pocket?
Front placket vs no placket?
Why is a 'back split' recommended for herringbone and striped fabrics?
Back plain or darts or pleats? For a slim guy.
Bottom round or straight or cut or straight cut? I was thinking round was for if you're wearing it untucked.

Last edited:
This is going to sound like an advertisement but I'm just excited after hearing about this website from styleforum, called moderntailor.com. You put in your measurements (recommended to be based off your best fitting shirt) and customize absolutely everything, from fabric to cuff style. It's cheap compared to brand names and you're guaranteed the fit you want. They get good reviews on styleforum for making shirts to the exact specs you give them. The downsides are that you don't get to feel the fabric before it gets made, and it takes 2-3 weeks to deliver because 1) it's custom made and 2) they're in Shanghai. However, you can buy fabric swatches and they give you n $10 coupons for future purchases equal or greater to the money you paid for the swatches.

I haven't tried it yet but I plan to for my next shirt, based off the measurements from this shirt I got tailor made in Shanghai but feels just a tad too constricting.

New customers get a "trial" discounted shirt (black or oxford blue for $20, white for $25). Shipping is ~$7. The cost of other shirts varies depending on the fabric, of which there are over 1000, and range from $40 to $190.

Cuffs: round vs square vs cut corner vs portofino (???) vs french vs convertible square+french?
Front pocket?
Bottom round or straight or cut or straight cut? I was thinking round was for if you're wearing it untucked.
These technical questions I won't be much help on other than no french cuff.

Front pocket?
If you're buying a MTM shirt, you should buy what looks good to you. It's hard to go wrong with most of those options. Have a real tailor take your measurements for you tho. I will answer a few of your questions:

I'm assuming all of this is for an interview/business dress setting.

Avoid the button-downs. Cut away looks great and conservative. Two-button collars I think are cool, but they're a little fashion-forward right now.

I like cut cuffs. If you don't, buy round. Don't get french or straight cuffs.

You want removable collar stays. This is in case they break or you want stiffer/softer ones.

Match the buttons if this is for an interview shirt. Contrast is a more informal look (unless you buy a tux shirt with silver buttons, for example, but you're not doing that).

Plackets reinforce the most stressed part of your shirt. If you would prefer to replace a button instead of your shirt, get it with a placket.

Typically, front pockets are less formal. Also, I rarely use my front dress shirt pockets and I think they're ugly (I must admit that I buy many shirts with pockets because most off-the-rack shirts have pockets.)

I'm not sure what the back split is about. I think it's so the fabric lines up better. IDK.

If your shoulders are narrow, get it plain or darted. Broad go with pleats. Just my opinion. It's related to how much extra fabric you need to move freely.

Straight cut (and round cut) are for untucked. Round and straight are for tucked. I'm not sure if straight (uncut) is as long as round (uncut). If it is, I would actually go with straight personally. That's just because I need longer shirts and sometimes my round cuts come untucked on my not-custom shirts.

so red ties are a big no no rite? and are the following all appropriate: gray, blue, purple, forest green

so red ties are a big no no rite? and are the following all appropriate: gray, blue, purple, forest green
Yeah red ties are power/aggression ties. Lots of interviewees will wear them. I was actually talking about interview dress with a fellow interviewee once and mentioned not wearing red ties. I looked to my right and 10 of the guys were wearing red ties. Lol oops.

Those colors are all good :thumbup:. Black, too, if you're wearing a lighter suit (gray).

got it. what are your guys thoughts on pocket squares that match the tie color? too fashionable?

Classic vs cut-away collar? up to you. cut-away looks a bit more modern, but still within the realm of classic style so it won't become dated.
Common vs stiff vs soft collar lining? up to you.
Collar stays? Removeable? either
Cuffs: round vs square vs cut corner vs portofino (???) vs french vs convertible square+french? round or square.
Match/contrast color of buttons with color of shirt? white mother of pearl - first option. (assuming white shirt)
Front pocket? optional
Front placket vs no placket? definitely placket - use the standard option in the middle
Why is a 'back split' recommended for herringbone and striped fabrics? see below
Back plain or darts or pleats? For a slim guy. not really sure on this one. given your body type I think you might be fine with a plain back.
Bottom round or straight or cut or straight cut? I was thinking round was for if you're wearing it untucked. correct - straight cut if you're going to only be wearing it tucked in.

cool site - never heard of them before but I will definitely have to look into them.

I came really close to buying my suit from Indochino. My next might just be from them. I wonder if anyone here has had experience with them?

oh re: the split back (also called a yoke), the split helps the maker align the pattern so that the strips run consistently up one sleeve, across the yoke, and down the other. see photos below. the detail you see at the shoulders and in the yoke is a sign of quality workmanship.

(I definitely want to get some clothing from this guy in the future. unfortunately, bespoke is a bit out of my price range at the moment.)

Mens_Shirt_Back_Details.jpg

Tailored_Shirt_Shoulder_Detail.jpg

I pretty much only use a white square with a square fold. It looks best IMO.

Like this:
erez

I also prefer blue or green ties for interviews. Matching eye color gets the ladies attention too.

Last edited:
I pretty much only use a white square with a square fold. It looks best IMO.
Agree

I also prefer blue or green ties for interviews. Matching eye color gets the ladies attention too.

What if you're a black guy with dark brown eyes:D

So hey. Small question:

Bow ties?

I know they're nerdy, but I rock the nerd, so. Thoughts, feelings?

So hey. Small question:

Bow ties?

I know they're nerdy, but I rock the nerd, so. Thoughts, feelings?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPGTizdGwSc[/YOUTUBE]

That said i have no idea about interviews. never really seen them at one

Yes exactly. I have a tweed jacket too, but I think that might be too much.

Seriously though: bow ties?

Yes exactly. I have a tweed jacket too, but I think that might be too much.

Seriously though: bow ties?

From what I have seen in industry interviews, i never saw one.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPGTizdGwSc[/YOUTUBE]

That said i have no idea about interviews. never really seen them at one
I really want to e-punch you for getting to the "bow ties are cool" thing before I could.

As cool as they are, they are for THE doctor, and not the applicant. sorry. :-/

As I read through this thread, I couldn't help but notice how much money you guys are spending on suits... you guys need to shop more intelligently...here's some tips when you are going to buy things:

-First go check out a thrift store. I know that not all people are comfortable with the concept of buying used clothing but if you think about it, once you put on that brand new suit you purchased for 500+ dollars, now it is considered used. Getting back to the point, go to your local thrift store and look for some suits.

-Second, if you are not lucky enough to find any suits, look for a suit jacket. Here's a true story...I went shopping at my local thrift store and came across a Macy's Suit Jacket that runs from 150-300 dollars. Guess what, I bought it for 5 bucks. Definitely a steal.

You can pick up some nice ties from the thrift store for 50 cents to 3 bucks. Definitely worth it!

- Third, Assuming that you only found a suit jacket without the slacks, make a trip to burlington coat factory or really to any store that sells slacks. I'm all for shopping cheap, but I'm not a fan of purchasing pants from thrift stores. Personally, I'd buy these new. You could find a nice pair of slacks for about 30 dollars.

At the store you purchased your slacks, pick up a pair of dress socks as well. These should run you about 3-8 bucks.

You could even pick yourself a nice dress shirt. Nothing speaks class like a nice conservative white dress shirt. This should run you about 15 bucks.

- Fourth, make a trip to your local shoe store (i.e. burlington coat factory, MJM...) and pick yourself a nice pair of dress shoes. I'm a big fan of point toed shoes (I'm a big fan of patented leather wing tipped shoes, but that is insignificant to my post ), since they are very classy. These should run you anywhere from 40-70 bucks.

An entire out fit for the interview season would cost me less than 100 bucks...so the moral of the story is to shop FRUGALLY!

I really want to e-punch you for getting to the "bow ties are cool" thing before I could.

As cool as they are, they are for THE doctor, and not the applicant. sorry. :-/

Sowwy :oops::( .

^While buying thrifty is great, I had a slightly different philosophy while buying a suit. Since I pretty much havent grown in the past 6 years and my weight has stayed constant the same amount of time, I wanted a very nicely fit suit that I wouldn't only use for interview season, but also for future professional events. The way my shortish physique is, a good super fitted suit will last me ages. I considered it an investment for the future use.

As I read through this thread, I couldn't help but notice how much money you guys are spending on suits... you guys need to shop more intelligently...here's some tips when you are going to buy things:

-First go check out a thrift store. I know that not all people are comfortable with the concept of buying used clothing but if you think about it, once you put on that brand new suit you purchased for 500+ dollars, now it is considered used. Getting back to the point, go to your local thrift store and look for some suits.

-Second, if you are not lucky enough to find any suits, look for a suit jacket. Here's a true story...I went shopping at my local thrift store and came across a Macy's Suit Jacket that runs from 150-300 dollars. Guess what, I bought it for 5 bucks. Definitely a steal.

You can pick up some nice ties from the thrift store for 50 cents to 3 bucks. Definitely worth it!

- Third, Assuming that you only found a suit jacket without the slacks, make a trip to burlington coat factory or really to any store that sells slacks. I'm all for shopping cheap, but I'm not a fan of purchasing pants from thrift stores. Personally, I'd buy these new. You could find a nice pair of slacks for about 30 dollars.

At the store you purchased your slacks, pick up a pair of dress socks as well. These should run you about 3-8 bucks.

You could even pick yourself a nice dress shirt. Nothing speaks class like a nice conservative white dress shirt. This should run you about 15 bucks.

- Fourth, make a trip to your local shoe store (i.e. burlington coat factory, MJM...) and pick yourself a nice pair of dress shoes. I'm a big fan of point toed shoes (I'm a big fan of patented leather wing tipped shoes, but that is insignificant to my post ), since they are very classy. These should run you anywhere from 40-70 bucks.

An entire out fit for the interview season would cost me less than 100 bucks...so the moral of the story is to shop FRUGALLY!

Are you trolling? Mismatched suits? Point-toed patent leather wingtips for an interview?

Give me a break.

Don't listen to this guy. Thrifting is great, but it takes real knowledge of clothing to pull it off and not look like an idiot at your interview. This guy doesn't have it since he's buying his suit tops and bottoms completely separately. (they should be made of the exact same fabric, which is why they come as a set; people can tell)

Last edited:
says the guy who was thinking of wearing a bow-tie to an interview...

Bow-ties are cool. :p

I wish I could wear one to an interview, but I know that I mustn't.

Are you trolling? Mismatched suits? Point-toed patent leather wingtips for an interview?

Give me a break.

Don't listen to this guy. Thrifting is great, but it takes real knowledge of clothing to pull it off and not look like an idiot at your interview. This guy doesn't have it since he's buying his suit tops and bottoms completely separately. (they should be made of the exact same fabric, which is why they come as a set; people can tell)

Agreed. don't bother with thrift stores for the interview unless you know what you're looking for and your city has a large population of people with good taste in clothing. I live in a mid-size city and the selection in my size is paltry at best. Ignore the stuff that's crap and the selection goes to practically zero.

That said, I would do a search for men's consignment stores in your area. I happened across one last week and was fairly impressed. They have a much smaller physical footprint than Goodwill, but they are much much more selective about the items they accept. Plus, the place doesn't smell like a thrift store. I found a BB tie in great condition for $16 - easily the best find I've come across between all of my local thrift stores, and I didn't have to sort through a bunch of garbage to find it.

I smile at the comments people making about "dont listen to this guy." First of all, I've been wearing suits for a long enough time, to know what I'm talking about. Take my advice or not, but fabrics do not have to match. You dont have to be the cookie cutter applicant at the interview where you match everything from your socks to your undies.

Second, I never told anyone to buy wing tipped shoes. I was mentioning how much I liked them. And if you're going to post pics on wingtipped shoes, dont try to find the most ugly picture...this is more appropriate...

resize

And for all of you idiots who dont appreciate my advice, you'll be the one looking like idiot.

I smile at the comments people making about "dont listen to this guy." First of all, I've been wearing suits for a long enough time, to know what I'm talking about. Take my advice or not, but fabrics do not have to match. You dont have to be the cookie cutter applicant at the interview where you match everything from your socks to your undies.

Second, I never told anyone to buy wing tipped shoes. I was mentioning how much I liked them. And if you're going to post pics on wingtipped shoes, dont try to find the most ugly picture...this is more appropriate...

And for all of you idiots who dont appreciate my advice, you'll be the one looking like idiot.
Everyone in the world has been wearing clothes for most of their life. That doesn't make older people automatically more apt to tell you what is accepted business dress; this is the logical fallacy of the appeal to authority (this particular version is especially fallacious). Quite simply, you are wrong, a suit by definition has matching jacket and pants.

Those shoes, while attractive, are not at all appropriate for a medical school interview.

If I was a student interviewer and you showed up to a med school interview with mismatched jacket and pants and those shoes, I would probably take everything you said with an extra grain of skepticism.

Everyone in the world has been wearing clothes for most of their life. That doesn't make older people automatically more apt to tell you what is accepted business dress; this is the logical fallacy of the appeal to authority (this particular version is especially fallacious). Quite simply, you are wrong, a suit by definition has matching jacket and pants.

Those shoes, while attractive, are not at all appropriate for a medical school interview.

If I was a student interviewer and you showed up to a med school interview with mismatched jacket and pants and those shoes, I would probably take everything you said with an extra grain of skepticism.

I dont know if both you and I are speaking the same language, but I'm speaking english. I've told you twice that I never told anyone to wear those shoes.

Second, u dont have to match pants with jacket. but that takes confidence

resize

first, just because you wear suits doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. walk into any American business environment and you'll see that this is the case.

it is common knowledge that suit jackets and pants are to be of the same fabric. you seem to be confusing sport coats with suit coats. sport coats are not meant to be worn with matching pants and should be worn with pants which offset and contrast the color, pattern, and fabric of the coat. it is not as simple as pulling whatever jacket and pants you want off the rack, as your post would seem to suggest.

A suit matches, fabric, color, manufacturer, age. You buy it as a suit.

A sport coat is a coat. Typically you wear it with pants that do not "match" in really any of the above categories.

For an interview, you wear a suit.

do as u please

lol at the sports coat guy.

On a more serious note, what kind of underwear (boxers, briefs, etc) should one wear? Any thoughts on going commando?

Reactions: 1 user