Meeting with PD post-interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GracyEmboli

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a fourth year doing an away rotation at a program I'm very interested in. I know it's recommended to schedule a meeting with the PD while at an away rotation, but what if I already interviewed at the program? I didn't meet with the PD but I did interview with the associate PD. Is it still worth it to set up a meeting? What would I say? I feel weird asking to set up a meeting to chat about the program when I've already had a full interview day that did this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm a fourth year doing an away rotation at a program I'm very interested in. I know it's recommended to schedule a meeting with the PD while at an away rotation, but what if I already interviewed at the program? I didn't meet with the PD but I did interview with the associate PD. Is it still worth it to set up a meeting? What would I say? I feel weird asking to set up a meeting to chat about the program when I've already had a full interview day that did this.

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly but during your away did you work with the PD at all?

If not, maybe ask the PC or faculty that you worked with directly and see if it's still necessary despite interviewing already.

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly but during your away did you work with the PD at all?

If not, maybe ask the PC or faculty that you worked with directly and see if it's still necessary despite interviewing already.

I have not worked with the PD at all. I was just thinking, since the PD makes the final decisions when it comes to the rank list, it would be good to meet her at least one time, especially since I'm already here. I just don't know how to phrase the email. Typically people say they'd like to chat about the program, but I already had a full interview day so it doesn't feel right saying that lol. Any suggestions?

Also just to clarify, I didn't meet the PD during my interview day either. Literally have had 0 interaction with her.

I have not worked with the PD at all. I was just thinking, since the PD makes the final decisions when it comes to the rank list, it would be good to meet her at least one time, especially since I'm already here. I just don't know how to phrase the email. Typically people say they'd like to chat about the program, but I already had a full interview day so it doesn't feel right saying that lol. Any suggestions?

I think you could just say "I was wondering if it would still be okay to meet with the PD after the rotation despite it being interview season"

Dear so and so:

I recently interviewed at this program and am currently on a rotation here. I unfortunately never had a chance to meet with the program director. I was wondering if I could schedule a time to meet with her so I could hear about her perspectives and insights concerning the program.

Thank you!
si and si

I find it so odd that applicants are on such pins and needles during the application process that it muddies their common sense on how to handle simple interactions. Like asking to merely meet someone isn't going to get you banished to 'do not rank them' land or something. I'm not saying this is personal towards you...I've been there too (and it sucks).

Reactions: 1 user
Dear so and so:

I recently interviewed at this program and am currently on a rotation here. I unfortunately never had a chance to meet with the program director. I was wondering if I could schedule a time to meet with her so I could hear about her perspectives and insights concerning the program.

Thank you!
si and si

I find it so odd that applicants are on such pins and needles during the application process that it muddies their common sense on how to handle simple interactions. Like asking to merely meet someone isn't going to get you banished to 'do not rank them' land or something. I'm not saying this is personal towards you...I've been there too (and it sucks).

I apparently interpret things a lot differently than most people. I took the OP's post to say 'yo, I know I did an away rotation here and it's usually recommended to set up a meeting with the PD during those. But, I already interviewed. Is it still worthwhile for me to meet with the PD?'

So not 'should I bother the PD by asking to meet', but rather 'am I going to get any benefit from it?'

In either case, OP, I don't think there is any harm in asking to meet with the PD.