Meet the private doctor to the wealthy — at $40,000 a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLoneWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Come to think of this, it always felt awkward to be reimbursed $50 for a Stellate block with fluoro or less than $20 for an intercostal block with fluoro. Risky procedures with difficult patients for almost free vs some suit making serious $$$ for shaking hands and scripts. This system is so broken.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What’s broken?

Wealth has its perks. Way they travel, eat, live, and yes access to things like healthcare.

I see nothing wrong with this. Do you?

I have thought about this and think doing pain management for the ultra-wealthy/celebrity types could be a nightmare despite the improved income and shedding most of the current work headaches. I think the pressure to do something in these concierge type practices could easily lead to inappropriate tests/treatments. Could you imagine saying, yeah you need to accept this and move on, and don't forget we need your 40k.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What’s broken?

Wealth has its perks. Way they travel, eat, live, and yes access to things like healthcare.

I see nothing wrong with this. Do you?

no, whats broken is we only get $20 for an ICNB.

as far as the concierge care, that pressure exists for PCPs, too. my friends who have it, just call the doc when they want an Rx for antibiotics, tamiflu, occasionally opioids, etc. and they get it, no questions asked

i see a lot wrong with a system where some people can buy whatever they want while others go bankrupt over otherwise minor health concerns while us physicians who have to fight for scraps of payment for medically indicated treatments.

but other than that, a 2 - or in this case, 4 tiered - healthcare system is what one expects with our economic system, and it works really well for the 1%.
cie la vie.

Some people will sign up just because it is expensive. I remember hearing someone lecture about stem cell injections in facet joints vs RFA. She said in her population the patients want the more exclusive and expensive option vs the one that is covered by insurance.

Reactions: 2 users
Some people will sign up just because it is expensive. I remember hearing someone lecture about stem cell injections in facet joints vs RFA. She said in her population the patients want the more exclusive and expensive option vs the one that is covered by insurance.

I worked with a group where the owner did those. Bone marrow aspiration kits and a cheap centrifuge. $5000 per joint injection and $10,000 per spinal injection. Government stepped in and told him to stop...he fought it and lost then was forced to stop. Did he go back to work making scraps...no...hired new grads to work the fluoro rooms while he chilled at home.