Medscape Burnout Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

The results of this burnout survey by specialty are insane. How does gen surg have a better score than derm??

Members don't see this ad.

The results of this burnout survey by specialty are insane. How does gen surg have a better score than derm??
Not at all saying that GS is less stressful than dermatology, but derm can be a grind trying to get through 30-40 patients per day every day and make everyone happy, especially on top of the notes, paperwork, and administrative burdens. Yes, general surgeons work more and their hours are worse, but at the end of the day, most of their time is spent operating, which is something they presumably enjoy, and not spent writing countless notes and dealing with loads of patients. Dermatology may be 8-5 (+ evening charting), but those are some of the densest hours and a lot of that time is spent on things besides face to face patient time and diagnosis. I can see why dermatologists may be feeling burnout, despite having predictable hours.

Also, besides GS, the bottom 11 specialties on that graph all make sense as to why they are where they are. None of those were surprising except for GS.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how they tested for "burnout" and it's such a vague concept I suppose it's impossible to test it in any kind of objective, consistent way. However I was surprised at how much it differed from what the "lifestyle" specialties are usually considered to be, especially with radiology having such a high burnout rate and a lot of the surgery subspecialties like ENT and ortho rating so low.

ANytime you have corporations pushing you to do more and more and more and more yea there is gonna be burnout especially the fact that patients are not like moving meat.

These surveys are crap and vary wildly between years. Here's literally one year prior. There's insane changes like Nephrology going from top 3 to bottom 3. Absolutely wouldn't trust this.

This is what I always say. I just ignore medscape surveys. They're always poorly done and should not be used to make decisions about one's future specialty.

Last edited:
These surveys are crap and vary wildly between years. Here's literally one year prior. There's insane changes like Nephrology going from top 3 to bottom 3. Absolutely wouldn't trust this.

I’m going to echo this. PM&R was near the top last year. Now our burnout is 10% less in one year.

I don’t know who actually fills out these surveys. I generally ignore any medscape survey.

If the NEJM publishes a burnout study, then I’ll trust the results.

I’m going to echo this. PM&R was near the top last year. Now our burnout is 10% less in one year.

I don’t know who actually fills out these surveys. I generally ignore any medscape survey.

If the NEJM publishes a burnout study, then I’ll trust the results.
Yep I just go off the JAMA paper for work hours and the MGMA data book for accurate regional salary info. Medscape is useless

Reactions: 1 user
There was that JAMA article in 2018 on specialty burnout rates but it was only for residents. That tracked more with how people think of low-stress vs high stress specialties, with path, derm, and rads with the lowest burnout rates. I don't know of any good surveys involving attendings though.