Medquest Internal Medicine- Conrad Fischer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kboy2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

So I am considering purchasing Medquest videos where Conrad Fischer goes page for page through MTB Internal medicine.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and found it useful. I am still trying to decide whether to use MTB IM or SUTM. SUTM seems more comprehensive, but I dont know if that is something I will have time to review multiple times before Step 2, where as MTB seems more manageable.

Thoughts or experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

So I am considering purchasing Medquest videos where Conrad Fischer goes page for page through MTB Internal medicine.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and found it useful. I am still trying to decide whether to use MTB IM or SUTM. SUTM seems more comprehensive, but I dont know if that is something I will have time to review multiple times before Step 2, where as MTB seems more manageable.

Thoughts or experiences?

Hey,

I was wondering if you watched the videos and if you did, do you recommend them??

thanks in advance

Hey guys

Thoughts or experiences?
Hey,

I was wondering if you watched the videos and if you did, do you recommend them??

thanks in advance

I just finished reading the Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review, which I found pretty AWESOME. Can't comment on Fischer's text though since I didn't use it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished reading the Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review, which I found pretty AWESOME. Can't comment on Fischer's text though since I didn't use it.

hey @Phloston good to see you here mate. I went over ur CK experience, in retrospect would u recommend John Hopkin Internal Medicine review book for CK or is it a level ahead? I feel like just diving into kaplan Qbank and Uworld. found MTB pretty useless. What would you suggest?

hey @Phloston good to see you here mate. I went over ur CK experience, in retrospect would u recommend John Hopkin Internal Medicine review book for CK or is it a level ahead? I feel like just diving into kaplan Qbank and Uworld. found MTB pretty useless. What would you suggest?

Yeah mate, JH IM BR is a level ahead. I wouldn't recommend it for 2CK (although obviously concepts in medicine overlap and it wouldn't hurt you to read it). But the level of detail is definitely beyond the USMLEs. It's awesome if you want to grow, put it that way.

medstudy internal medicine books are fairly on point as well. if you polished off those bad boys you'd knock the stuffing out of CK. Much tastier than MKSAP I must say.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah mate, JH IM BR is a level ahead. I wouldn't recommend it for 2CK (although obviously concepts in medicine overlap and it wouldn't hurt you to read it). But the level of detail is definitely beyond the USMLEs. It's awesome if you want to grow, put it that way.

Any thoughts on MKSAP 16 for CK prep ?

Any thoughts on MKSAP 16 for CK prep ?

Yeah, I have thoughts on MKSAP actually:

1) MKSAP17 is coming out in two phases - part A (6 books) is released July 31st; part B (5 books) is released Dec. 31st. So all eleven MKSAP17 (the newest) books will be out in not too long a wait. Just be aware of that if you are considering the full MKSAP purchase, because they're really expensive, even if used.

2) I own the eleven-book MKSAP16 collection. Aware about 17 coming out this year, I was OK purchasing 16 just a couple months ago (for various reasons I won't elaborate on here). So the stack of books is sitting in my room. I've made random flips here and there so far, but haven't started reading them for real yet because I'm trying to get through my second pass of the JH book, and until I finish that (maybe in a few weeks' time), I refuse to begin MKSAP.

3) MKSAP is SO WORDY IT'S RIDICULOUS. I don't mean to say that in any negative way, as that statement does not relate to whether they are superfluous per se, but what I can say outright is that if you're the type who likes pictures, diagrams, flowcharts, etc., MKSAP is basically AS FAR away from that as you can get. I'm almost shocked at how they're pretty much just all text and nothing else. Iow, the structure of the books is like a novel. The same way as when you buy an apple it should come with a pack of floss, the MKSAP books should come with a pack of Adderall or Ritalin.

4) Finally, to answer your question: definitely do not use MKSAP for 2CK prep. They're residency level books so will not fit the purpose of the 2CK exam. My perception so far of what "residency level" means is a lot more regarding epidemiology, when to use certain drugs vs others, dosing regimens, non-elaboration of basic sciences (i.e., there's zero mention of MOAs and explanation of micro in the JH book, for instance, but that's a good thing because we know that already, but not good if you're prepping for 2CK where that reinforcement is healthy), more extensive lists of DDx, side-effects, and discussion of less common pathologies in high level of detail.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I have thoughts on MKSAP actually:

1) MKSAP17 is coming out in two phases - part A (6 books) is released July 31st; part B (5 books) is released Dec. 31st. So all eleven MKSAP17 (the newest) books will be out in not too long a wait. Just be aware of that if you are considering the full MKSAP purchase, because they're really expensive, even if used.

2) I own the eleven-book MKSAP16 collection. Aware about 17 coming out this year, I was OK purchasing 16 just a couple months ago (for various reasons I won't elaborate on here). So the stack of books is sitting in my room. I've made random flips here and there so far, but haven't started reading them for real yet because I'm trying to get through my second pass of the JH book, and until I finish that (maybe in a few weeks' time), I refuse to begin MKSAP.

3) MKSAP is SO WORDY IT'S RIDICULOUS. I don't mean to say that in any negative way, as that statement does not relate to whether they are superfluous per se, but what I can say outright is that if you're the type who likes pictures, diagrams, flowcharts, etc., MKSAP is basically AS FAR away from that as you can get. I'm almost shocked at how they're pretty much just all text and nothing else. Iow, the structure of the books is like a novel. The same way as when you buy an apple it should come with a pack of floss, the MKSAP books should come with a pack of Adderall or Ritalin.

4) Finally, to answer your question: definitely do not use MKSAP for 2CK prep. They're residency level books so will not fit the purpose of the 2CK exam. My perception so far of what "residency level" means is a lot more regarding epidemiology, when to use certain drugs vs others, dosing regimens, non-elaboration of basic sciences (i.e., there's zero mention of MOAs and explanation of micro in the JH book, for instance, but that's a good thing because we know that already, but not good if you're prepping for 2CK where that reinforcement is healthy), more extensive lists of DDx, side-effects, and discussion of less common pathologies in high level of detail.

Thanks a lot for the insightful comments..

I agree that using a book that long would do more harm than good..

Btw, MKSAP 16 has a 350 page book called "Board Basics".. what are your views on that ?

I saw the preview available here:

http://www.acponline.org/products_services/mksap/16/basics.htm

and I found it nice..

Thanks again for your insights..