MedMar recruitment emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringJDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting the MedMar recruitment emails from the various med schools? I'm just wondering whether receipt of these emails truly are indications of one's chances of admission or if they're just a school's attempt to show that it is trying to increase URM enrollment. So far I've gotten emails from Emory, EVMS, Pitt, Wake, Northwestern and some DO programs. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else getting the MedMar recruitment emails from the various med schools? I'm just wondering whether receipt of these emails truly are indications of one's chances of admission or if they're just a school's attempt to show that it is trying to increase URM enrollment. So far I've gotten emails from Emory, EVMS, Pitt, Wake, Northwestern and some DO programs. Thoughts?

If you are competitive for these schools and have loads of secondary money, then apply. My guess is that if you are not competitive, as soon as your secondary application fee is processed, you will get the rejection letter.

That MED-MAR registry is a money maker for some schools. If you want to contribute, then apply.

After I took the GRE and the MCAT I got letters from: Nebraska, University of Alabama-Birmingham, West Virginia, U Michigan, Midwestern U, NYU-Poly, Drexel, A Podiatry school, UAMS, University of Notre Dame, University of Colorado-Denver, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute etc.

Various graduate programs and medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also wondering about the significance of the Med-Mar letters. I've received mail/e-mail from SLU, Medical College of Wisconsin, Wake Forest, LECOM, Northwestern, Emory, University of Michigan, and Harvard Med (I'm not sure why they feel the need to recruit? :laugh:) I think that the purpose of the e-mails really varies from institution to institution. For instance, Northwestern offers to waive secondary fees and I doubt they would really do that for every single individual that signed up for Med-Mar (maybe?), which suggests to me that Northwestern is actively trying to recruit minorities and also that if one has received the e-mail, they may be competitive numberswise (at least on the mcat) for the school. Of course, actual admission would be contingent on the interview, PS, EC's, and other non-cognitive factors so to speak. For other schools, it may be as njbmd stated and that such schools are just using the Med-Mar for additional revenue, which is sad. I don't think this would be the case for all the schools though. I really doubt and my ego very much hopes (lol) that the likes of Harvard and UMichigan wouldn't be so pressed for revenue that they would try to generate additional revenue from Med-Mar, but rather use it as an opportunity to encourage potential applicants. My best guess is that the majority of schools send the recruitment letters to all minority applicants meeting the minimum Mcat scores required (for potential acceptance) to that particular institution.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread. When I registered for the MCAT, I checked the minority registry box and I was wondering if they actually send emails. It seems like some pretty good schools send out emails to prospective minority applicants. I was wondering what kind of MCAT score would make these schools want to contact you? 30+?

I was also wondering about the significance of the Med-Mar letters. I've received mail/e-mail from SLU, Medical College of Wisconsin, Wake Forest, LECOM, Northwestern, Emory, University of Michigan, and Harvard Med (I'm not sure why they feel the need to recruit? :laugh:) I think that the purpose of the e-mails really varies from institution to institution. For instance, Northwestern offers to waive secondary fees and I doubt they would really do that for every single individual that signed up for Med-Mar (maybe?), which suggests to me that Northwestern is actively trying to recruit minorities and also that if one has received the e-mail, they may be competitive numberswise (at least on the mcat) for the school. Of course, actual admission would be contingent on the interview, PS, EC's, and other non-cognitive factors so to speak. For other schools, it may be as njbmd stated and that such schools are just using the Med-Mar for additional revenue, which is sad. I don't think this would be the case for all the schools though. I really doubt and my ego very much hopes (lol) that the likes of Harvard and UMichigan wouldn't be so pressed for revenue that they would try to generate additional revenue from Med-Mar, but rather use it as an opportunity to encourage potential applicants. My best guess is that the majority of schools send the recruitment letters to all minority applicants meeting the minimum Mcat requirement for that particular institution.

Yeah the Northwestern fee waiver is what really peaked my curiosity. I got that offer as well. As a side note, I've noticed that the school's that contacted me are in the same areas as those schools that I've applied to. I can't remember if I indicated on MedMar the school locations that I was interested in or not. I'm questioning this because of the Pitt inquiry. I had no intention of applying to any Pennsylvania schools though I'm originally from Delaware. Perhaps that's what triggered that. I have no idea how MedMar works but none of the schools that I've responded to have rejected me...yet.

I was offered a free flight/visit and other things.

Yeah the Northwestern fee waiver is what really peaked my curiosity. I got that offer as well. As a side note, I've noticed that the school's that contacted me are in the same areas as those schools that I've applied to. I can't remember if I indicated on MedMar the school locations that I was interested in or not. I'm questioning this because of the Pitt inquiry. I had no intention of applying to any Pennsylvania schools though I'm originally from Delaware. Perhaps that's what triggered that. I have no idea how MedMar works but none of the schools that I've responded to have rejected me...yet.

That's interesting. Well, I got the e-mails/stuff without having filled an AMCAS so I don't *think* they're doing it by regional stuff or based on where you applied. To answer your question, mbm54, I think 30+ is a good bet to get some recruitment letters. If you look at the range of scores in msar, you'll see that these schools accept scores below 30+, so it might be possible to get a letter with lower scores..idk.

More importantly, though, why isn't there a URM Interview Invite thread or anything? Last year's group of URMs were more active......

Last edited:
I checked the Med-Mar box, but have yet to receive any emails :( I got a 30Q on my MCAT, but I'm wondering if it takes some time for the schools to send out the emails, considering I just received my score 10 days ago. Do they wait for your AMCAS to be verified? And I second starting a new invite thread.

I checked the Med-Mar box, but have yet to receive any emails :( I got a 30Q on my MCAT, but I'm wondering if it takes some time for the schools to send out the emails, considering I just received my score 10 days ago. Do they wait for your AMCAS to be verified? And I second starting a new invite thread.

10 days?lol....you're good. I know it took at least a few weeks after my mcat before I got anything. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Also, you don't need AMCAS verification to get recruitment letters/e-mails because I got the letters/emails without a verified AMCAS. Anyway, texasbelle87 started up the interview invite thread, but nobody is posting anything even though there have been alot of views lol.

Last edited:
I checked the MedMAR, recently(2wks) got upper 90's percentile, and have yet to receive anything, but am not URM.

I really want free flight offers.

I checked the MedMAR, recently(2wks) got upper 90's percentile, and have yet to receive anything, but am not URM.

I really want free flight offers.

turtlespeed... 1.) i'm not sure how web2linc got free flight offers. You'll notice that he (or she) mentioned taking BOTH the GRE + MCAT, so it is possible that free flights were for graduate programs (can you confirm web2linc?). I am highly doubtful any medical school in the country would offer a free flight to a minority and/or disadvantaged individual PRIOR to the interview stage solely on the basis of a good mcat score. 2.) turtlespeed, if you do not fall into MED-MAR categories, then it would be incredibly disingenuous on your part to sign up for MED-MAR. ultimately, such actions reflect rather poorly upon you as an individual and call into question your integrity and judgment (if that is the case).

Last edited:
You are eligible for Med-MAR if you meet the following criteria:
  1. You are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident visa holder, and;
  2. You self identify as a member of a racial or ethnic group currently underrepresented in medicine and/or economically disadvantaged.
Wouldn't turtlespeed qualify for medmar if he/she were only economically disadvantaged as noted above and not a URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes sir/mam! as you have kindly pointed out, that would be the case. Should he/she be disadvantaged, then my above points are moot....except for the free flight thing, which I still think would only occur post interview, should it occur at all (fee waiver is the highest i've gotten/heard about so far). if anyone else hears anything...post, then maybe we can generate a list of: 1.) schools that send recruitment letters. 2.) what they provide (i.e. fee waiver, flight/visit, etc.).

Last edited:
Thats kinda why I want the free flights. Will update if I get anything

Last edited:
I checked the Med-MAR box for the Sept 2nd MCAT. I received a recruitment email from OSU this week. Do AAMC send out MCAT scores to medical schools before they release them to applicants?

Yeah, I've been getting some of those too, but they seem pretty useless. Why does Harvard need to recruit me w/ a one page letter? I think I know about Harvard and had I wanted to apply, I would have.

Yeah, I've been getting some of those too, but they seem pretty useless. Why does Harvard need to recruit me w/ a one page letter? I think I know about Harvard and had I wanted to apply, I would have.

Lol dtl. While I think there are more effective means for minority recruitment, besides letters (i.e. minority recruitment weekends, fee waivers, personal calls, etc.), letters can work too if done effectively. I think Harvard and many of the schools are trying to send the letters in order to try to catch "the diamonds in the rough" so to speak. Those applicants who might be competitive for various institutions, but who for one reason or another may not realize how competitive they are or can be. I've been on the forums long enough to have seen very competitive applicants, particularly minority candidates, who seemed inclined to limit their applications due to underestimating their competitiveness or limited knowledge about the medical school application process. Such recruitment letters, at the very least, can serve as a potential impetus to convince such individuals to apply. Ultimately, I think the institutions sending the letters are trying to ensure that their applicant pool contains all the competitive minority applicants that may be out there. I think an acceptance letter from such schools would work much better though...:laugh:

Good point with the "diamonds in the rough" explanation.

I will say that for those schools I hadn't previously considered (read: SLU, MCW), the notifications prompted me to look into the schools a little more. I didn't apply in the end, but at least I got to procrastinate finishing some secondaries. :rolleyes:

Hey Silvera,

If you look on this forum, there is a thread related to this Med-MAR recruiting that you are referring to.

To answer your question, I got my scores July 17th, but did not get my first e-mails from certain schools that were recruiting me until after my AMCAS was verified (probably like 3 days after it was verified was the earliest). I would probably say that any MCAT score 30+ (or maybe a little lower than 30... like 28? idk) will get you a communication from these schools.

If your scores are good enough, you will receive both e-mails and letters. One school sent me both a letter AND two e-mails.

Do these communications mean that you will get in? No. It just means that, assuming EVERYTHING else in your application is STRONG (read: GPA, EC's, Letters of rec, etc.) AND that they like you as an applicant overall, then your MCAT score will be competitive enough that you should consider applying. It is by no means a guaranteed (or even suggested) acceptance.

Hi,

i took the mcat on septmeber 3rd and am in the Medical Minority Applicant Registry. i was wondering how long after taking the test were you contacted and whats sorts of scores did you. if i get contacted becuase of Medical Minority Applicant Registry does that mean i have a good chance of getting accepted? are opinions would be greatly appreciatated

I took the MCAT the same day as you. I got my first last night from Iowa. This is actually kind of cool cause they offered to extend their application deadline for me. Not applying this year, but I thought this was really awesome.

I am sure you will be vetted the same as other URMs. I like the service in that it shows who really vales diversity in their class.

I have not gotten any emails.. What is the MCAT cutoff? Do you all mind sharing the MCAT scores you all got?

I also got the University of Iowa the same day and just got U of Illinois for their MD/PhD program. But I think the vast of the emails should come 1+month after so its normal not to get many emails at this point

I got the email from Ill. for the MD/PhD program. Yeah, these emails are just spam. I was looking forward to the free flights etc.

I got the email from Ill. for the MD/PhD program. Yeah, these emails are just spam. I was looking forward to the free flights etc.
Well hopefully some in the future will provide waivers from secondaries etc.. Its been only a little more than 2 weeks so theres still time

Add Duluth and the Twin Cities to the list.

Are we keeping a running list? I got one from

Carver College of Medicine
WesternU- Podiatry School
Ill. MD/PhD
Duke
Iowa

These emails usually go to my junk mail.... so I have to search from them.

Are we keeping a running list? I got one from

Carver College of Medicine
WesternU- Podiatry School
Ill. MD/PhD
Duke
Iowa

These emails usually go to my junk mail.... so I have to search from them.

Washington St Louis. letter--add to the list

Got 1 from Harvard... not sure what to make of it.

I got one from Carver College of Medicine, one from Harvard and some podiatry schools

I got one from Harvard as well. So did two of my friends both of which are applying right now. One had an interview at Harvard yesterday. Do not think anything of the MedMar letters just apply if you want to. All they know is your MCAT score anyway. That is only one piece of the puzzle.

Emory
Wake Forest
U of MN
Ohio State
and some DO and podiatry schools

Yeah I only applied to the ones I was actually interested in.

Just FYI for the MCAT score thing: I got a 27 on my MCAT (I will re-take) and I have still received a bunch of letters in the mail from schools encouraging me to apply due to self-identified minority status.

For example, the Harvard Med one says "This letter is sent to you based on your MCAT scores, which were within the range of students who have been accepted at Harvard Medical School (HMS) in the past."

I thought this was strange.

I'm not URM
I don't remember checking MedMar, didn't even remember seeing it
Still got a recruitment letter from Harvard
What's the deal?

Maybe you checked it by mistake? Hey, at least you know your in the range of accepted students.

I also got a whole bunch, but they really mean nothing. I got one from Pritzker and still got rejected.