Medicine-Related Work/Volunteering/Research Opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSG2018

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a first year medical student going on second from Jordan, I want to know if it is possible for me to find something medicine-oriented to do in Canada during my vacation, like research or working in a hospital (I can work for no pay) or volunteering in something medical because there aren't many things like that in Jordan. I want how and when to apply, or at least where to find such things.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a first year medical student going on second from Jordan, I want to know if it is possible for me to find something medicine-oriented to do in Canada during my vacation, like research or working in a hospital (I can work for no pay) or volunteering in something medical because there aren't many things like that in Jordan. I want how and when to apply, or at least where to find such things.

Thank you

If you are from Jordan your best bet would definitely be in Toronto. Vancouver is more or less closed off and very bureaucratic and Montreal again is limited unless you can speak French. In Toronto you should check this website out: http://blogs.studentlife.utoronto.ca/lifeatuoft/2009/11/06/so-you-want-a-summer-research-position/

Its written for UofT students but applies to anyone looking for something in Toronto. If you are a Canadian citizen it would help things especially when you apply for formal programs. If you aren't apply informally. Send emails to profs and doctors en masse looking for a summer job. Send them your resume and maybe a cover letter. This way you will find a job.

If you are from Jordan your best bet would definitely be in Toronto. Vancouver is more or less closed off and very bureaucratic and Montreal again is limited unless you can speak French. In Toronto you should check this website out: http://blogs.studentlife.utoronto.ca/lifeatuoft/2009/11/06/so-you-want-a-summer-research-position/

Its written for UofT students but applies to anyone looking for something in Toronto. If you are a Canadian citizen it would help things especially when you apply for formal programs. If you aren't apply informally. Send emails to profs and doctors en masse looking for a summer job. Send them your resume and maybe a cover letter. This way you will find a job.
First of all, thank you very much for your reply, it's very appreciated.

Second of all, I don't have a Canadian citizenship and if I'm to write a CV, it won't include much, I lived a pretty secluded life up until last year. So far, I have only done voluntary work and IFMSA-related events. I have recently been assigned to a medical research but it hasn't started yet. Is sending them E-mails still worth a shot?

Thank you so much again :)

Its always worth a shot because quite practically unless you already know doctors in Canada (then the obvious would be to email them first) you don't really have much other option. Voluntary work is already a good thing. You can mention that you will be doing upcoming research if you are applying for a research job.

Be prepared for a lot of no replies or nos, but if you send a lot you will get one reply. Offer to interview over skype or in person (if you are available to go to them) that will help with offers.