Medicine & Pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alfafa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there is no established combined program in the state in which you want to live, would it be advisable to match in one or the other say internal med and then do a residency in peds after the IM is completed or vice versa????:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i suppose you could. however doing a six year residency instead of four would be tortuous for me. i'm not that in love with any area that i would do an additional 2 years to be there. you could also consider family medicine depending on what your long term plans are.

You could. There are some Med-Peds attendings who did it that way (instead of doing a combined program)

There are several disadvantages though

It's 6 years instead of 4
You have to repeat intern year again when you do your second residency
You lose 2 years of "attending" income as you do another residency
Your 2nd residency may have funding issues from Medicare since you started and completed a residency already

Members don't see this ad :)
If there is no established combined program in the state in which you want to live, would it be advisable to match in one or the other say internal med and then do a residency in peds after the IM is completed or vice versa????:confused:

I don't think you can do this anymore. I know people did in the past but the rules have changed a lot. Accreditation issues and funding issues. If you want to do med-peds before you commit to a IM of Peds program you should probably ask someone who knows for sure. Check the NMPRA web page (www.medpeds.org) it may be there or a contact to someone who knows.