medicine or nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a_cube07

PLM College of Medicine
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is your stand 'bout doctors turning to nursing?

Members don't see this ad.

a_cube07 said:

Why would you wanna do that???

;)
uh,
it's their lives, their choices. in my mom's internal medicine department that she heads, everyone, everyone, except HER and another physician has taken up nursing. i'm a senior in a nursing school now but i plan to proceed to medicine after the board exam next year. :laugh:
while doctors have made medicine their pre-nursing...some of us still want to make our nursing our pre-med. :D
ironic? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
tupac_don said:
Why would you wanna do that???

many doctors nowadays take up nursing, and work abroad where they could earn much more

hi. i came from the philippines and here in florida taking up nursing...hopefully someday i would be able to go to med school...

im afraid that one day there would be an overflow of nurses again, and it would be hard to find jobs for nurses..

I guess it's a matter of what you really want to do/achieve in your life. If a doctor wants to get rich/get work easily in other countries, then being a nurse is a good option. But if a doctor really wants to help people...I think he should stick in medicine.

I'm actually being biased, because that is the growing trend in the Philippines, and it's a shame, because a lot of Filipino citizens are still underserved. I understand though, that some doctors have families to feed, or they're really just sick of the way things are run in the country, so they go into nursing. But I believe in the principle that if you want to get rich, you should have gone into something else in the first place --business, maybe -- not medicine. Medicine, more than a profession, is a service. At least right now, in this part of the world. :)

raya said:
I if you want to get rich, you should have gone into something else in the first place --business, maybe -- not medicine. I understand though, that some doctors have families to feed, or they're really just sick of the way things are run in the country, so they go into nursing.QUOTE]
+pity+
i agree. medicine is a calling. but maybe i can say that because i'm young, not married and i don't have children. our youth affords us the luxury of ideals today, and so far i still want to follow through with the ideal of going into medschool after i get my BSN degree this March. then again, maybe my mind will change. it's just different for each person really. and i think i have a good grasp of why doctors (especially the underpaid and extremely overworked government doctors) would want to become nurses and leave this country. :scared: i just don't know what it will be like for the rest of the Filipino people who can't afford private care. :(

Yes, it is really a challenge to be a doctor, and stay a doctor, in the Philippines right now. But I don't know...I've got faith that there are still well-meaning, courageous Filipino youth who can rise up to that challenge. :)
Good luck to you, maia. And congratulations on your graduation (even though it's still months off, but still...) :)

Hi,
In my country - Viet Nam, nursing seems to be the better way !!! :). Short and simple study, easy to find job, especially in the big hospital, because there is a large lack of nursing. Medicine ? uhummm, long time to study, difficult to get in the Uni, hard working, and hardly getting a good job:thumbdown: ......... But so many people wanna become a doctor, hic hic, me too. :smuggrin:

yeah, it's really depressing that this is the trend today in the Philippines. Personally, I don't feel good whenever I hear about a doctor who has gone back to school to take up nursing. But it's their choice; we also can't blame them if they really go down that road... :(

And nursing students in the Philippines are EVERYWHERE! :D

And nursing students in the Philippines are EVERYWHERE!

I agree. With more than 300 nursing school around, I don't believe that we will run out of nurses (though there will be shortage of experienced nurses).

I don't have a problem with MD to RN's as it is their human rights to look after their family.
If you really like to become a doctor, stay with medicine. It may not pay much but it is a fulfilling profession.

Geez it's too corrupt in the Philippines due to the politics. I hope it gets better someday. It's sad that many of the doctors are going into nursing but I understand the situation considering how hard life is in the Philippines. In a sense, another cycle of the "brain drain" is happening. Many of the doctors are going into nursing in order to go abroad and most of the brightest and best doctors the country has will probably leave if they had the chance. Who cares right? Well everyone in the Philippines should because it may further decrease the quality of health care in the country :scared: Sad indeed, very sad... :(

pmpndaflip said:
Geez it's too corrupt in the Philippines due to the politics. I hope it gets better someday. It's sad that many of the doctors are going into nursing but I understand the situation considering how hard life is in the Philippines. In a sense, another cycle of the "brain drain" is happening. Many of the doctors are going into nursing in order to go abroad and most of the brightest and best doctors the country has will probably leave if they had the chance. Who cares right? Well everyone in the Philippines should because it may further decrease the quality of health care in the country :scared: Sad indeed, very sad... :(
Really corrupt indeed. They rather keep their pork-barrel funds than do something about health care. What do you expect from a government that spend just 1 percent of it's budget on health care?(pathetic). I spoke with some NGO's and the gov't feels the budget is non-negotiable. To them, health care is not a priority and an expendable item. They just don't care as long as they get elected. You reap what you saw and you'll see sub-Saharan (Africa) statistics in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
maia said:
;)
uh,
it's their lives, their choices. in my mom's internal medicine department that she heads, everyone, everyone, except HER and another physician has taken up nursing. i'm a senior in a nursing school now but i plan to proceed to medicine after the board exam next year. :laugh:
while doctors have made medicine their pre-nursing...some of us still want to make our nursing our pre-med. :D
ironic? :scared:

hi guys,
im a 4th year nursing student graduating in sept. im also planning to proceed to medicine after the boards just like you maia when you posted this msg. :) so did you do it? are you now in med school? =) im taking the NMAT in december(though my parents dnt knw yet that im planning to..) they believe that the nursing profession is a better choice bec of the great demand for filipino nurses abroad.. i dont knw how to tell them but im planning to when theyre both in a good mood.hehe=) i think nursing and medicine are both fulfilling professions, just in different degrees and ways. i love taking care of people and whenever i do, i always wished i could do more. so i realized that the only way to be able to do this is to become a doctor! I admire & respect doctors. i wanna be one of them!=) i know that i will enjoy being a nurse (& all the benefits that go with it!hehe..)but i would really loooove to become a doctor... i think that being one will be the most fulfilling profession for me.. this is my own opinion though. i got nothing against doctors taking up nursing.=) i guess its just about what you really want and how much you really want something.. i guess doctors who turn to nursing just want to provide the very best of everything for their families who depend on them.. :)

butrfly116 said:
hi guys,
im a 4th year nursing student graduating in sept. im also planning to proceed to medicine after the boards just like you maia when you posted this msg. :) so did you do it? are you now in med school? =) im taking the NMAT in december(though my parents dnt knw yet that im planning to..) they believe that the nursing profession is a better choice bec of the great demand for filipino nurses abroad.. i dont knw how to tell them but im planning to when theyre both in a good mood.hehe=) i think nursing and medicine are both fulfilling professions, just in different degrees and ways. i love taking care of people and whenever i do, i always wished i could do more. so i realized that the only way to be able to do this is to become a doctor! I admire & respect doctors. i wanna be one of them!=) i know that i will enjoy being a nurse (& all the benefits that go with it!hehe..)but i would really loooove to become a doctor... i think that being one will be the most fulfilling profession for me.. this is my own opinion though. i got nothing against doctors taking up nursing.=) i guess its just about what you really want and how much you really want something.. i guess doctors who turn to nursing just want to provide the very best of everything for their families who depend on them.. :)

hi!
nice to hear from someone of a similar bent. ;)
currently, i'm trying to review for the Board xams and NMAT, and hope to take both this december, right after each other (i hope they don't happen on the same weekend!)
I agree with what you're saying, that it's the person who decides what she wants for herself or her family and shouldn't be condemned for her choices.

BTW, have you dropped hints to your parents 'bout your plans? Because dropping it all at once may be shocking for them or hard for you too...

Good luck with your plans!

maia said:
hi!
nice to hear from someone of a similar bent. ;)
currently, i'm trying to review for the Board xams and NMAT, and hope to take both this december, right after each other (i hope they don't happen on the same weekend!)
I agree with what you're saying, that it's the person who decides what she wants for herself or her family and shouldn't be condemned for her choices.

BTW, have you dropped hints to your parents 'bout your plans? Because dropping it all at once may be shocking for them or hard for you too...

Good luck with your plans!

i thought it was already like 3yrs ago when you posted the message about u planning to proceed to med after nursing..thats why i asked u if you are already a med student! hehe. anyway do you nw have a particular med school in mind where you wana get into?=) btw, im taking NMAT in december too! good luck to both of us!hehe :)

anyway, i'm choosing between UERM and UST. i know these 2 schools both use PBL. problem is, i dnt know much about what PBL really is and how it works. can anyone pls give me some info on this? and i'd really appreciate it if someone will compare these 2 schools for me. btw, im the type of student who prefer written exams over orals. i usually get nervous and scared when speaking in front of a crowd. will this be a big problem for me in med school? thanks a lot! :) :)

anyway, i'm choosing between UERM and UST. i know these 2 schools both use PBL. problem is, i dnt know much about what PBL really is and how it works. can anyone pls give me some info on this? and i'd really appreciate it if someone will compare these 2 schools for me. btw, im the type of student who prefer written exams over orals. i usually get nervous and scared when speaking in front of a crowd. will this be a big problem for me in med school? thanks a lot!
I know friends from both schools (a sister and a relative is from UST, lots of friends from UERM). Both are good schools. UST is integrated PBL, so it's not a full PBL like UERM. Problem-based learning is integrating your knowledge of different basic sciences (anatomy,physio,biochemistry) and applying it to solve or understand clinical settings/problems.
I know UST has a revalida which is an oral exam. You cannot go wrong with either school and these are solid choices. You can add FEU for more options.

I'm a dentist, and I am seriously thinking of taking up nursing next semester. unfortunately, I do not know much about that kind of "shifting careers", as I have yet to ask some people I know who are dentists who are now studying nursing.

I don't know if I am in the right forum, as I am a newbie. But I would like to consult the people around here as to what schools accept professionals to study nursing. I still would like to study my options, and of course be prepared mentally and financially, if and when the time comes.

Thank you. :)

Lyt said:
I'm a dentist, and I am seriously thinking of taking up nursing next semester. unfortunately, I do not know much about that kind of "shifting careers", as I have yet to ask some people I know who are dentists who are now studying nursing.

I don't know if I am in the right forum, as I am a newbie. But I would like to consult the people around here as to what schools accept professionals to study nursing. I still would like to study my options, and of course be prepared mentally and financially, if and when the time comes.

Thank you. :)
There's a lot of schools accepting "second-coursers" (that's what they call them) in the Phil. You can look at other forums like Pinoy Exchange (they have a web site) and go to their academic forum.

Thanks for the info.

Godbless. :)

So for those of you making the switch, would you not also practice medicine? How would you go through 4 years of med school plus residency and then do a nursing program and not practice medicine? Are countries like the Phillipines not in need of good physicians as well? I'm confused.

I have heard of a few people going from nursing to medicine but never the other way around. Why do doctors in Phillipines decide to go into nursing? Is it just so they can come to the US? I'm sure there is a way for them to come as doctors as long as they get certified in US though.

I read that there is a lot of government corruption going on but how does that affect a doctor that one would reconsider their profession and become a nurse? I would think a gov't would be supportive of doctors so they improve healthcare. therefore, providing some form of incentive to keep native doctors in the Phillipines.

??
confused as well

Ragamuffindave said:
So for those of you making the switch, would you not also practice medicine? How would you go through 4 years of med school plus residency and then do a nursing program and not practice medicine? Are countries like the Phillipines not in need of good physicians as well? I'm confused.
Most of them are still practicing as a doctor while taking abbreviated course for Nursing. Most don't even bother going into residency as you can barely live with residency allowance ($80-$150). There is an oversupply of doctors in the cities especially Metro Manila but there are a lot of underserved rural areas where there is no doctor or nurse. Philippine gov't budget for health is miniscule so if you work for the gov't in the rural areas, chances are you are earning much less. You have to be single or a martyr to survive. Most patients are too poor to pay their doctors and lots of time you are treating for free.

RST25 said:
I have heard of a few people going from nursing to medicine but never the other way around. Why do doctors in Phillipines decide to go into nursing? Is it just so they can come to the US? I'm sure there is a way for them to come as doctors as long as they get certified in US though.

I read that there is a lot of government corruption going on but how does that affect a doctor that one would reconsider their profession and become a nurse? I would think a gov't would be supportive of doctors so they improve healthcare. therefore, providing some form of incentive to keep native doctors in the Phillipines.

??
confused as well
There are Nursing students going to Medicine but the political and economic environment is too hopeless for some doctors that they decided to go to Nursing. Some are still trying to pass the USMLE and practicing in the US but a lot of these folks don't want to invest more money (due to age or family) in taking USMLE. Passing USMLE alone will not guarantee you a visa or a residency position (it's getting competitive), but passing the NCLEX will guarantee you a job and a US visa (an immigrant visa for some). Some are rationalizing that it's just a stepping-stone for them but they don't realize the hardship of working and studying for the USMLE until they try it. The Phil. gov't is useless when it comes to healthcare. They don't give it enough priority as it will really not help any local officials get elected. It has one of the lowest spending per capita in healthcare. The gov't is very short-sighted and would rather see healthcare professionals leave and send dollars than improve the situations of those who stayed in the country to practice.

raya said:
I guess it's a matter of what you really want to do/achieve in your life. If a doctor wants to get rich/get work easily in other countries, then being a nurse is a good option. But if a doctor really wants to help people...I think he should stick in medicine.

I'm actually being biased, because that is the growing trend in the Philippines, and it's a shame, because a lot of Filipino citizens are still underserved. I understand though, that some doctors have families to feed, or they're really just sick of the way things are run in the country, so they go into nursing. But I believe in the principle that if you want to get rich, you should have gone into something else in the first place --business, maybe -- not medicine. Medicine, more than a profession, is a service. At least right now, in this part of the world. :)

That's really easy to say. And i'm sure a lot of doctors who became nurses felt that way, that is until they had children and realized they didn't have the money to support them...

joani mitchell said:
That's really easy to say. And i'm sure a lot of doctors who became nurses felt that way, that is until they had children and realized they didn't have the money to support them...
It's also naive to say that going into business is the road to riches. For a few good entrepreneurs, it is true but there's a lot of failed small businesses around the country. Nursing is the way to go unless you have a lot of money to take chances via the USMLE.

...hi...

i'm new here..

it's sad that doctors nowadays prefer to be nurses than practice low-paying medicine...

but..i would like to agree that to be a doctor is not just a choice..its a calling...

I'm already 23, an employed Certified Public accountant at the biggest auditing firm in the country..

I woke up this morning hearing my calling...to help other people..to save lives...to be a doctor...

For the first time in my life..I'm 100% certain...and I don't want to wait another lifetime to fulfill this dream..

I have nothing against my profession..it's my choice..nd i have no regrets..i still enjoy doing my job...and its very lucrative...but something deep inside me is shouting to pursue my greatest dream...to be a doctor...and will definitely regret and blame myself if i wont pursue it now..

Downside: I don't know where to start..who to contact...where to go for help...
I'll be starting from scratch..literally..

I have taken only business subjects during my undergrad..some basic bio and chemistry subjects..all other else...accounting, math, calculus, trigo and auditing...all numbers..

Please help..i need guidance..

Anyone there will be of great help...

Maybe I'm a testament that neither money nor status can deter a true-hearted doctor..it's the passion to help and serve other people that drives people to be a to pursue the dream.

thanks,
please contact me..
i will greatly appreciate the tiniest help.:)
here are my digits:
0921-319-16-47

hi, go to a medical school and get their basic unit requirements then
get your old transcript and check if you have complete most of them.
Take the NMAT, get a good grade and you're ready to go. I had a classmate who finished architecture and even got her license and worked for a few years before going into med school. It sounds easy but it may take a while to complete the subject required. At any rate..23 is still relatively young for med school. Good luck.

:idea:

i say take nursing as your pre-med. (your name here, RN, MD)

:rolleyes:

I'm puzzled by that myself .... if your already a doctor wouldn't you be demoting yourself by being a nurse? However a family friend explained it to me like this:

1. Filipino doctors are required by law to serve the country for a minimum of 2 years (this does not apply to foreign medical grads) which prohibits them from leaving.

2. Philippine med-schools prepare their graduates to pass the philippine medical licensure exam not the USMLE, which is needed to practice medicine in the US, making it more difficult to get licensed. So if you want to pass the USMLE you have to work twice as hard as the regular med-student.

3. Hospitals and agencies recruit nurses to work in the US because it is easier to take one test (NCLEX) as opposed to three (USMLE step 1,2 & 3)

Bottom line is that filipino doctors take up nursing so that they can leave and make money abroad. I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing because I understand that they have families to support. But they should have thought of that before investing the time and not tho mention the money to become a doctor. Doctors are held in high regard in society I just think that it is a shame that they stuggled to get through med-school (which is no easy task) and then have nothing to show for it.

Filipino doctors are not required to serve the country for 2 years.

The real reason for doctors leaving is being ignored by the country and most especially (in my opinion) by the medical community ITSELF. A medical student needs additional 4 years education on top of the 4 years pre-medical course. And that cost a lot of money (i would say at least php500,000 not including books). After graduating, and serving 1 year of internship with perpetual 8 hour and 35 hours duty in a hospital without any (or very very little) "day-off" and practically no-pay. You finally get to become a doctor.

BUT THAT DOESN'T END THERE. Most are not satisfied with an MD degree and opt for a specialization. They only get paid a maximum of around 15k in government hospitals and minimum of 8k in private hospitals. Most choose to work in a private hospital for "excellent" training BUT you get little pay, perpetual duties (as usual), get very little in terms of benefits (if you're lucky the hospital is willing to give you one), you get no night differentials, no hazard pay even, and little or no pay increase.

Honestly MEDICINE IS A VOCATIONAL WORK, not a profiteering mission but for most doctors, this kind of selfless work always HAS A LIMIT.

If nobody will raise the standard of living for these physicians, they will be willing to stop working as a doctor and choose another profession (eg nursing abroad) where the pay is very good, work hours is lighter, and with hospital benefits and visa grants etc.... (everybody knows the perks)

at the same time, a resident physician who is earning 10k a month and aged 25 at the time, will start to look back and realize that his former classmates likewise of the same age, who did not go into medicine is already a professional/mananger/businessman elsewhere earning twice as much as he does, with all the benefits that goes along with a private company.

a fresh LAW graduate works less hours and with more pay even than a physician. :confused:

if you were in the same situation, even though you really liked medicine so much in the past....but then realize you could have done more for yourself and your family (financially and socially by spending more time with them instead of working in a low paying hospital) if you just took some other profession and worked for yourself..

....you would understand why most doctors would choose to leave such a well respected profession and just opt for a better pay elsewhere.

Doctors do have families and other people to take care too. They have the right to earn for themselves. :(

i might sound bitter about my own profession, i am a doctor after all. But thats the hard truth about medicine most people don't know about.

And like what most of us doctors say, "wala na tayo magagawa, masyadong malaki na nainvest magulang ko dito, its a little bit too late to quit right now".

At any rate, im still trying to make the most out of my profession. I might feel bad about my situation but im not giving up yet. So for those who are critisizing the fact why physicians are leaving the country...

...try to rationalize this..: why is a 50 year old doctor enrolled in a nursing school.... he must be very very desperate... right?

well..i know quite a few who are right now.. and im only 26. Will i wait till i reach that age and give up? :)

im still trying to answer that one .... ;)

andrew the man! kaw pala yun! as for your post the math is simple: you need cash and want to be "practical" to be able to get an easy passport abroad to join your other relatives or enjoy the land of milk and honey and leave this God-forsaken country....nursing. if you have that compassion to help and you are happy when people thank you for saving their lives or making their quality of life better...and it causes you tachycardia, with variant angina-like feeling....saraaaap ng feeling....medicine is the place to be.ü