medicine as postgrad... HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nt_keele

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.. i am lookin for info to apply as postgrad courses in medicine..
i am quite confused on wat to d, which unis to apply and so on..
the key point is that i really wanna get in..
hope that suone can give me sum advices on what to do..
cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... not sure what you're asking. In Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, etc... (i.e. places other than the US and Canada), medicine is an undergraduate course. In most places, you can apply after completing a primary degree, but they'd consider you doing a 2nd undergrad degree, instead of a post-grad degree (not that it matters much because for your purposes, you are completing a postgrad degree and you can use the title "MD") . There is talk in Ireland of medicine becoming a post-graduate degree, but that isn't in place yet.

actually i m looking for USA.. i would really like to apply there but i quite "scared"... from here seems well hard to get in.. and i don t get how actually a post grad course in MD last for. another point is about the MCAT.. is it really hard?
do u actually no some coutries better than otherone to apply as postgrad? i was just lookin for Uk (where i m doin my current degree) and USA.. (so far lo)
thanx :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... The MCAT covers biology, chemistry/organic chemistry, physics and a writing section. I hear it now covers some anatomy and physiology as well. To be honest, getting into a US medical school without doing an undergraduate degree in the US is nearly impossible... you might try to do a search for old threads on this topic, but they all say the same thing. You might even contact a few medical programs in the US to see what's required.

cheers.. u ve bin really helpful!! thanx

nt_keele said:
actually i m looking for USA.. i would really like to apply there but i quite "scared"... from here seems well hard to get in.. and i don t get how actually a post grad course in MD last for. another point is about the MCAT.. is it really hard?
do u actually no some coutries better than otherone to apply as postgrad? i was just lookin for Uk (where i m doin my current degree) and USA.. (so far lo)
thanx :)

At least 10 UK medical schools have 4 year graduate courses. The only trouble is the deadline's (October 15th) up for this year. You'll have to wait for next year.

dr strangelove said:
At least 10 UK medical schools have 4 year graduate courses. The only trouble is the deadline's (October 15th) up for this year. You'll have to wait for next year.

Yeah, i no.. i m still on my second year so i ll apply next Oct.. i no as well that there are so many postgrad courses.. and i really dunno where to apply!!!!!! HELP lol i am aiming to get a firs class but i dunno if that would assure a place (at least in sum places). are there actually unis in which is easier to get in???
all info about this are accepted..
cheers

nt_keele said:
Yeah, i no.. i m still on my second year so i ll apply next Oct.. i no as well that there are so many postgrad courses.. and i really dunno where to apply!!!!!! HELP lol i am aiming to get a first class but i dunno if that would assure a place (at least in sum places). are there actually unis in which is easier to get in???
all info about this are accepted..
cheers
Hi there.....
Your best shot is to get a 2.1 Hons or a first and apply to medical schools in the U.K. (4 or 5 year MBBS/MBChB etc.). It's virtually impossible (but not totally impossible..I know two Brits that succeeded this year) to get into a U.S. medical school either as a foreigner, with a foreign undergraduate degree or, as a foreigner with a foreign (not U.S./Canadian) undergraduate degree. Even after that, the fees alone will be upwards of $30, 000 (around 20,000 pounds) per year. If you're not a U.S. citizen/green card holder, you'll also be ineligible for any of the loans that North American students have access to. That's before even looking into the logistics of taking the MCAT or the application process. I'm really not trying to be discouraging....it's just that I've walked this path and, honestly, that's the harsh reality. Winning a place in any medical school is an achievement in itself but, in your case, It'll be 1000-fold easier for you to get into a British medical school. Now.....get your first and go for it! Best of luck, mate!
-SC

P.S. The MCAT covers material around/not much beyond A-Levels or CSYS in Scotland. Like Leorl alluded to, it's hard enough so that you only get a good score if your prepare diligently.