Medicare and obamacare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrock89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how exactly medicare works and is billed for PT's. Around the clinic, pt's dread of medicare patients vs bcs insurance or other ones. I was wondering why is that? Would we receive less money if the Obamacare passes too?

Members don't see this ad.

Google "Medicare" + "physical therapy" and you'll get the answer (from the horse's mouth [Medicare] itself).

This is not directed at the OP in particular, but more like a general observation. Too many people ask a question which can be easily answered in a few seconds by doing an internet search. Some of you may remember the Stone Age where researching anything meant a trip to the campus library and pawing through dusty index cards to locate a specific microfilm spool... Thank God those days are over. The internet makes looking up things so much easier. Use it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question, anyone have any answers/opinions?

The entire process of health care reform has affected every aspect of health care delivery. Obamacare (a.k.a. ACA) and subsequent legislation have modified therapy caps on an annual basis of 1,880 per year and 3,700 lifetime (I think).

More importantly, Obamacare has started a trend towards bundling services for payment. The ACA created entities called Accountable Care Organizations, which have pushed the entire industry to bundling services, in an attempt to squeeze the service providers. It will affect all service providers, including PT's, so we think PTs will have to partner with groups to bundle services. The APTA has a lot of good information about it.

I will follow-up with more analysis at a future date.

Last edited:
I was wondering how exactly medicare works and is billed for PT's. Around the clinic, pt's dread of medicare patients vs bcs insurance or other ones. I was wondering why is that? Would we receive less money if the Obamacare passes too?
I like above all reply.