Medical University of the Americas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke to a representative from that school and she broke down everything in a simple manner. I am graduating next year with a BA. And I did not have any science preqs other than the first general chemistry and biology. I did average, C. That was a bad grade. She told me I could complete the premeditated program in 8 months and got to the MD program. I have a 3.6 GPA, and a lot of experience in health related work.

How hard is it to get into this school?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly if you have a pulse you'll probably get in. The problem is you need a science background to succeed in medical school and on boards. Don't go to mua for a shortcut. Your odds of success are slim. Do the science prerequisites and apply to US programs, MD or DO. Anything other than Caribbean.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke to a representative from that school and she broke down everything in a simple manner. I am graduating next year with a BA. And I did not have any science preqs other than the first general chemistry and biology. I did average, C. That was a bad grade. She told me I could complete the premeditated program in 8 months and got to the MD program. I have a 3.6 GPA, and a lot of experience in health related work.

How hard is it to get into this school?

Hey there I know this is a few months too late, but MUA is an amazing school I am enrolled to begin there in May of this year. People have this negative stigma towards Caribbean schools and trust me I have spoken to several physicians, professors, and other medical professionals and Caribbean docs are the same as US school docs. The only stigma is the so called "pre-med" trust me I have heard it all like what the other guy said here something about a "just a pulse to get in". Either way a doctor from Harvard is the same as a doctor from Ross, MUA, Saba and all accredited caribbean schools. People get hung up on the name so much when in reality if you are smart you will make it if not you won't. So if you beileve you can do it, MUA is an excellent choice just like all US and accredited Caribbean schools. Don't listen to negative stigma people who don't know what they are talking about. I know a physician who went to Ross and got a fellowship at Harvard for gastro so like I said make ur own decisions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there I know this is a few months too late, but MUA is an amazing school I am enrolled to begin there in May of this year. People have this negative stigma towards Caribbean schools and trust me I have spoken to several physicians, professors, and other medical professionals and Caribbean docs are the same as US school docs. The only stigma is the so called "pre-med" trust me I have heard it all like what the other guy said here something about a "just a pulse to get in". Either way a doctor from Harvard is the same as a doctor from Ross, MUA, Saba and all accredited caribbean schools. People get hung up on the name so much when in reality if you are smart you will make it if not you won't. So if you beileve you can do it, MUA is an excellent choice just like all US and accredited Caribbean schools. Don't listen to negative stigma people who don't know what they are talking about. I know a physician who went to Ross and got a fellowship at Harvard for gastro so like I said make ur own decisions!
How do you know it's an amazing school if you haven't even started attending it...?

Reactions: 1 user

It's definitely a hard choice to make but I agree with some of your points. I'm gonna apply anyways. Really I got nothing to lose. If I can't get back into USA then there are several other countries to go.

But in the meantime I will search other things.

It's definitely a hard choice to make but I agree with some of your points. I'm gonna apply anyways. Really I got nothing to lose. If I can't get back into USA then there are several other countries to go.

Can you list some examples?

Wow, amazing. I'm simply speechless at this point. MUA must have a genius marketing department.

When you apply to residency you'll discover if this is true or not.

Take that to ValueMD and get outta here

Oh, my sweet summer child...

Don't go to MUA.

Ignore these people trust me, I have been told like I said by several physicians that Caribbean schools are the same. In the end it comes down to how smart you are if you make it. If you don't make it in Caribbean you wouldn't have made it in US anyway.
https://www.mua.edu/images/residency/2016_MUA_Residency.pdf
A lot of the people that bash Carib schools don't know what they are talking about. Someone else in a different thread commented something to this effect and they were an attending "The only way some of these people will get into medical school is to volunteer to be a cadaver!" Good luck and do research on the sites and speak to physicians don't believe false stigma of people on here

Holy crap you guys are extremely hostile. I posted this thread. The guy gave me his opinion, and you guys gave me your opinions. I will take both and believe me I'm leaning toward staying in USA but the thought of being a student in carrib isn't a hellish idea. My primary care doc went to MUA. So it's possible to come to USA but extremely difficult.

No need to insult the man. Wth. It's not like he insulted you:cow::eek:

Holy crap you guys are extremely hostile. I posted this thread. The guy gave me his opinion, and you guys gave me your opinions. I will take both and believe me I'm leaning toward staying in USA but the thought of being a student in carrib isn't a hellish idea. My primary care doc went to MUA. So it's possible to come to USA but extremely difficult.

No need to insult the man. Wth. It's not like he insulted you:cow::eek:

Because s/he is giving you really bad, really unfounded advice without any direct experience with Caribbean schools.

On what grounds do you say this?

On the grounds that I'm a recent Caribbean medical school graduate that successfully navigated the process without any red flags, on schedule, secured my top residency choice, and have been following Caribbean medical education for the past 6 years. There are only two Caribbean medical schools currently that give you better-than-even odds of securing a residency, and those are SGU and Ross. If you're considering another school in the Caribbean, then you are setting yourself up for failure. The statistics are available, and have been hashed and rehashed on this forum dozens of times since the Charting the Outcomes stats were released. An n=1 anecdote of a successful graduate from >4 years ago is not a good metric to use to sell MUA. Telling people "If you try hard, you can achieve all of your hopes and dreams!" is a nice platitude, but when it comes to medical education it is simply not true. Sometimes your best isn't good enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, another MUA thread lol.

Check out my first post and you can find out all you want about MUA from that post.

Being objective though, I will tell you this much.

The MUA pre-med program is small which could be good because you get to know everyone in your class really well and you continue that bond as you progress through the med program. From what I saw when I was there, most all of the pre-meds were killing it in med 1. A lot of the pre-med coursework is similar to the med 1 term. Now once those pre-meds got to med 2 and 3, things started to slow down a bit and even they started to struggle like everyone else. So in summary, MUA pre-med will do a great job at getting you through at least your first term of medical school.

You do realize that if you don't make it through MUA, those pre-med courses have no value because the pre-med portion of the program is unaccredited right? That's a huge risk considering people drop like flies at this school.

Assuming you are serious about applying I would really tell you to not apply. That school will not get you anywhere unless you can look in the mirror and say you are a solid student with solid study habits and test-taking skills.

Wow, another MUA thread lol.

Check out my first post and you can find out all you want about MUA from that post.

Being objective though, I will tell you this much.

The MUA pre-med program is small which could be good because you get to know everyone in your class really well and you continue that bond as you progress through the med program. From what I saw when I was there, most all of the pre-meds were killing it in med 1. A lot of the pre-med coursework is similar to the med 1 term. Now once those pre-meds got to med 2 and 3, things started to slow down a bit and even they started to struggle like everyone else. So in summary, MUA pre-med will do a great job at getting you through at least your first term of medical school.

You do realize that if you don't make it through MUA, those pre-med courses have no value because the pre-med portion of the program is unaccredited right? That's a huge risk considering people drop like flies at this school.

Assuming you are serious about applying I would really tell you to not apply. That school will not get you anywhere unless you can look in the mirror and say you are a solid student with solid study habits and test-taking skills.
What have you been up to recently? I withdrew from SGU and back in the states

What have you been up to recently? I withdrew from SGU and back in the states

Just trying to figure out what to do next man. Wanted to do my part to make sure prospective applicants hear a first-hand account of what happens when the Caribbean doesn't work out.

Just trying to figure out what to do next man. Wanted to do my part to make sure prospective applicants hear a first-hand account of what happens when the Caribbean doesn't work out.
I got into some masters linkage program so you could look into that.

I got into some masters linkage program so you could look into that.

The big problem with my situation is that I applied with low stats. So I'd have to actually retake the pre-req's first and the MCAT to show any program that I am serious. Beyond that I would probably have to at least take some upper level coursework or even a masters in addition. Maybe DO could be a possibility after all of that but, and I know it sounds crazy, If I can get a 3.6 or better in the pre-reqs and do reasonably well on the MCAT, I was going to give SGU a shot. I know, here I am saying don't go Caribbean but if you play your cards right and you know exactly what you are doing, you can become a doctor down this route if you know how these schools work. I didn't fully understand that the first time around. And by "these schools" I'm really only referring to SGU right now.

For any of those plans to workout though, a lot has to happen in the next two years and I'm not getting any younger and it will get very expensive. So a lot to think about on my end. I have an interview with the director of a local post-bacc program on Friday. I kinda want to get his advice first on my whole situation and his advice might very well be to walk away. We'll see.

Last edited: