medical student - publishing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohyesbaby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this. I am just wondering - how is it possible that a medical student can publish articles on scientific journals?

If you join a research group for the summer, is it likely that you can publish under your name with the principal researchers???

What opportunities are there????

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is not easy to get a first-author publication in basic science research as a med student. This is because you have very little extra time. The only block of time most people have is 2 months between 1st and 2nd year. However, if you worked in a lab in the Summer and somehow found other time to work (weekends), it is possible to write a paper using a well-defined project. It is much easier to do some summer work and get your name on a paper, which still looks good.

As for clinical work, many clinicians have small projects using chart reviews that you can write up as the first author. You can also write a case report on an interesting patient. Many physicians have a few of these lying around.

It all depends on what you want. If you think you might be interested in basic research, then do a summer rotation.

Hi - thanks for the reply.

During the summer I have absolutely no work - i'm free for a few months. That's because in the UK, a few med schools still have the pre-clinical and clinical divide. And right now I'm still doing pre-clinical.

So I won't have to work at all during summer

So chart reviews - do they get published in journals too? How would I get my hands on them??

Are there other opportunities to publish in journals??