Medical Student Cookbook Idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighYield32

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Students,

I am currently a Dietetic student about to complete my Master’s degree and I am dating an M2 going through studying for STEP 1. I had an idea the other day about creating a cookbook specifically for Medical Students who are crunched for the time yet still need to fuel their bodies for their long and arduous study sessions.

The cookbook would include an overview and importance of each of the macronutrients/vitamins/minerals for those who care; but, would be more focused on providing quick, healthy, nutrient dense recipes for meals and snacks. I know cooking/eating appropriately can take a back seat during stressful times, however, I think having healthy recipes would help.

Does this sound like something you would be interested in? If so, why and what would you like to see included?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Curious...Why make a medical student targeted cookbook? Is MS crunched for time different than single mother crunched for time, working 3 jobs crunched for time, studying for the bar crunched for time?

Is the angle supposed to be “brain food”?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Curious...Why make a medical student targeted cookbook? Is MS crunched for the time different than single mother crunched for time, working 3 jobs crunched for time, studying for the bae crunched for time?

Is the angle supposed to be “brain food”?

That would be part of the angle. It would also allow a more focused writing style. If I'm writing for medical students I know that it can be technical and I can include terms and information that the general population may not know or be familiar with. Whereas those who've studied medicine could easily understand what an Omega-3 fatty acid is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could see this working for physio topics. Not so much for micro and path.....

If you're going to do this, the information needs to be on a level of detail like First Aid (get a cheap, used copy to get an idea). It shouldn't be overly detailed nor should it be watered down. Kinda like the Alton Brown version of a med student cookbook. I don't know if that made sense.

Hello Students,

I am currently a Dietetic student about to complete my Master’s degree and I am dating an M2 going through studying for STEP 1. I had an idea the other day about creating a cookbook specifically for Medical Students who are crunched for the time yet still need to fuel their bodies for their long and arduous study sessions.

The cookbook would include an overview and importance of each of the macronutrients/vitamins/minerals for those who care; but, would be more focused on providing quick, healthy, nutrient dense recipes for meals and snacks. I know cooking/eating appropriately can take a back seat during stressful times, however, I think having healthy recipes would help.

Does this sound like something you would be interested in? If so, why and what would you like to see included?

This sounds super cool and I would love to see a medstudent/doctor cookbook with a more scientific approach.

Are you thinking of actually trying to publish a book and sell it or would this be more like a PDF guide that you'd post on the internet? If it's the latter I would love to see it posted here!

Hello Students,

It would be a good idea to collaborate with medical students. There are numerous clinical nutrition courses students are creating. That could serve as an avenue to increase your project’s popularity. Then, when you want to monetize this, a lot of it will be branding, because as @WhittyPsyche points out, this wouldn’t be anything that’s specifically for medical students.

This sounds super cool and I would love to see a medstudent/doctor cookbook with a more scientific approach.

Are you thinking of actually trying to publish a book and sell it or would this be more like a PDF guide that you'd post on the internet? If it's the latter I would love to see it posted here!

Well, before I put my time and effort into the creation of content I wanted to see whether or not it was something students would be interested in. I'm thinking of starting with blogging and providing free content for students.

It would be a good idea to collaborate with medical students. There are numerous clinical nutrition courses students are creating. That could serve as an avenue to increase your project’s popularity. Then, when you want to monetize this, a lot of it will be branding, because as @WhittyPsyche points out, this wouldn’t be anything that’s specifically for medical students.

Thanks for the idea; I'll have to look more into the clinical nutrition courses to see whether or not this is something that would tie in well.

Thanks for the idea; I'll have to look more into the clinical nutrition courses to see whether or not this is something that would tie in well.

A lot of these are student led initiatives. It shouldn't be too hard to get their attention. Thank you for thinking about us.

I think the more scientific angle is a great idea! Having a like 3/4 week meal plan at the end geared towards cheaper foods and using a few main ingredients in different ways would also be awesome! Meal planning takes a ton of time but most pre-written ones have grocery lists with like 50 ingredients/week (only slightly exaggerating) or are geared towards specific diets (keto, whole 30, ect)

I think this is more appropriate for a blog that I can read periodically rather than a book for people to buy. Just my 2cents

I think this is more appropriate for a blog that I can read periodically rather than a book for people to buy. Just my 2cents

Of course that’s what we all want. Although left unsaid, I think she wants it to be monetizable eventually. Slap doctor/physician onto something and it’ll be pretty marketable. Just look at the White Coat Investor. Things in his book aren’t really that profound, but he was the first one to come to the scene with a mainstream product that gained a lot of attention and I’m sure he’s reaping the rewards. She can then start her own website or blog as well as a social media channels and monetize with viewership as well advertise her original product simultaneously.

OP, definitely look into something that goes into a more scientific approach (cites studies from reputable journals as opposed to celebrity diet fad culture). This is where you’ll need some help from students as they can help with the editing/literature searching, etc. Cheap ingredients would be a plus too. I would definitely hustle to get this out there in the next year or so.

Last edited:
Would be interested if there was vegetarian options.

Particular problem i noticed:
Doing rural med rotations, there are like no places with veg food / grocery stores with frozen veg food.

Pre-med here but I would definitely use/buy this! I like to cook like 5 days worth of chicken at once with a different seasoning for each day so it doesn't get old, so maybe try to include similar recipes that are good for multiple days of reheating