medical schools with high acceptance - need a list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovepink89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm at the point in my app where i need to choose which schools to apply to and my stats are NOT good. As in it will only be by the grace of god that I will get into one. basically my gpa is below a 3.0 but my mcat is above a 30. I have a really good P.S. and good letters of recommendation, research, volunteering abroad, etc. etc. Which schools are known to look more at the "whole package"? Are there any that won't just throw my application out the window? Money isn't really an issue so I'm ok applying to a bunch of schools...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm at the point in my app where i need to choose which schools to apply to

I'd suggest beginning with applying to all the Caribbean schools, then all the DO schools, and finish up with all of the MD schools. That should about cover what your stats present you as getting at least one acceptance.

Hello, I'm at the point in my app where i need to choose which schools to apply to

Not this thread a again. Ask yourself why is everyone so stressed about getting into medical school? I don't know maybe because over half don't get in. So if there was a medical school with a high acceptance rate wouldn't all the ones that didn't get in go there? If so then that school is the most competitive to get in to all of a sudden. Excluding the caribbean but good luck matching into a residency. My point is THERE ARE NONE!!!!! (in the united states)

Members don't see this ad :)
Below 3.0 gpa put you at a real disadvantage at md schools. Be sure to apply to plenty of DO school they are the one that might put aside ur low gpa

I'd suggest beginning with applying to all the Caribbean schools, then all the DO schools, and finish up with all of the MD schools. That should about cover what your stats present you as getting at least one acceptance.

competitive schools = caribbean, reach schools=DO.

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) US MD schools have a 3.0 cutoff.

Why exactly is your GPA so low, and when did you realize you wanted to go to med school? At least make sure that you have (nearly) all A's in pre-req/upper level classes. There are some success stories out there (and obviously some unfortunate situations), but sometimes I wonder how much some people really think this through.

Here's a list of all med schools with high acceptance rates:

Hope that helps!

Seriously you will have a next to never chance of getting in to a US school with below a 3.0

If money isn't an issue you should be looking at special masters programs instead of wasting time applying to med schools. A sub 3.0 gpa isn't going to get you anywhere.

Don't apply, save your money. If you MCAT is 30+, you better off repair your gpa a little bit through UG/Grad courses.

Hello, I'm at the point in my app where i need to choose which schools to apply to and my stats are NOT good. As in it will only be by the grace of god that I will get into one. basically my gpa is below a 3.0 but my mcat is above a 30. I have a really good P.S. and good letters of recommendation, research, volunteering abroad, etc. etc. Which schools are known to look more at the "whole package"? Are there any that won't just throw my application out the window? Money isn't really an issue so I'm ok applying to a bunch of schools...

:confused:
Arkansas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply unless you are open to the idea of improving your GPA via an SMP or a post-bac (preferably an SMP given that it's sub-3.0).

I guess you could apply to a bunch of DOs but your chances of getting into those would be slim, even with your MCAT score.

With a <3.0 GPA, you have virtually no chance of being accepted to any US medical schools. Stellar MCAT/rec letters/extracurriculars will not make up for this. Your best move is to complete a post-bacc or special masters program to raise that GPA.

If you need proof, go buy a copy of the MSAR (you can just get online access) and look through all the school's average accepted GPA. No school even comes close to <3.0.

Buy this book:

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

For the quantitative questions.

Avoid SDN for the subjective, including this:

"There is no such thing as a 'really good' personnel statement. A personal statement might tip the balance in your favor, but it's not going to open doors that would have otherwise been closed to you."

Being URM puts you at a significant advantage. You should get in to a top 40 allo.

Here are some stats:

GPA <3.0 (just under)
sci GPA 2.6
MCAT 33
research (national conference poster presentation)
volunteer
shadowing
1/8th native american

I'm guessing based on this thread US MD's are out....

Questions:
1) What about US DO's? Is there even a remote chance?

2) Are there any other foreign medical schools where this has a fighting chance? Europe? Caribbean? Israel?

3) Will native american status compensate at US DO's?

1/8th native american?? My cat is > 1/8th native american. LOL Why don't you just say 7/8th white? :laugh:

Here are some stats:

GPA <3.0 (just under)
sci GPA 2.6
MCAT 33
research (national conference poster presentation)
volunteer
shadowing
1/8th native american

I'm guessing based on this thread US MD's are out....

Questions:
1) What about US DO's? Is there even a remote chance?

2) Are there any other foreign medical schools where this has a fighting chance? Europe? Caribbean? Israel?

3) Will native american status compensate at US DO's?

Do you have a reservation number? I'm not sure how med schools work but for native americans applying to undergrad schools you're required to put in a reservation number so that fake 'native americans' are weeded out. If you are 7/8 white and have no cultural ties I'm sure that claiming that you are native american will get you nowhere. It could even hurt you because interviewers could interpret you checking that box as trying to work the system. Instead of relying on an extremely small part of your DNA to get into med school you should try to fix your GPA and prove that you can actually handle coursework.

Not for me, no idea what a reservation number is, i'm 8/8ths cauc, curious about a neighbor applying

*IF* they have a reservation number, they *might* have a tiny chance, but with a 2.6 sGPA, it's going to be very tiny. If they're determined to go to a US med school, they pretty much HAVE to look into an SMP to have any sort of realistic chance.

1/8th native american?? My cat is > 1/8th native american. LOL Why don't you just say 7/8th white? :laugh:

1/8 native american should be enough to qualify for tribal membership if you can document. This might help....but I still think you need >3.0 even for D.O. How many units have you completed?

Try Princeton Medical School. Since no one applies there, you should be able to get in. 1/0 = Infinity percent.

Do you have a reservation number? I'm not sure how med schools work but for native americans applying to undergrad schools you're required to put in a reservation number so that fake 'native americans' are weeded out. If you are 7/8 white and have no cultural ties I'm sure that claiming that you are native american will get you nowhere. It could even hurt you because interviewers could interpret you checking that box as trying to work the system. Instead of relying on an extremely small part of your DNA to get into med school you should try to fix your GPA and prove that you can actually handle coursework.

What school do you go to? Not to be a stalker weirdo, but I notice that you live near me. :laugh:

Become part of a tribe to significantly up your chances. Depending on where you apply, they may ask you to prove your 1/8th heritage. If the rest of your background isn't disadvantaged, you might be hurting yourself instead of helping. Keep in mind that when someone is talking about being Native American, it usually implies poverty, reservation life and affiliation with a tribe or First Nation.

Barring that, you are ****ed. The under-3.0 acceptance rate is in the teens-single digits and represents people with significant connections (aka daddy bought the medical school a new hospital wing). The chances of your average pre-medical student getting accepted with a sub 3.0 is essentially nil.

Best case scenario, a medical school might accept 10% of it's applicants. However, those are often the high powered programs, such as WashU, which are self-selecting for high achieving students (>3.8 GPA, >34 MCAT). Your average school is between 4% and 7% acceptance rate.

DO schools, but honestly that low you will have a hard chance getting in anywhere.