Medical Schools Losing Application Materials???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you had experience with medical schools losing your application materials? So far I've had 2 things come up missing which I know were sent and received.

Boston University misplaced my check. I sent it certified mail and when I track it online it says that it was received on September 22nd. I called them today and they have no record of it. They said to place a stop payment on that check and send another. But that costs $$$$ which needless to say is in short supply these days. Anyhow I think I'm going to send another check and hope the previous one doesnt magically appear.

Albert Einstein told me that one of my letters was missing. I know for a fact that all of them were sent together. I spoke with my advisor and she assured me they were. Apparently they misplaced one so now I'm having another sent.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? If so, how did you handle them?

Members don't see this ad.

I had one school lose some stuff, including my check.
I just sent another one, and am still hoping that the first doesn't get cashed!
Guess all you can do in these cases is suck it up and send another copy/check/letter/whatever.
At least you're on the ball and know stuff is missing, rather than assuming everything is OK and complete when it's not.

Vandy lost my secondary after I interviewed there. I was wondering why they hadn't filled me in about my status 2 months after the interview.

Luckily I make copies of everything I send and just faxed them a new copy. The time lag may have affected me though. I didn't get in. But then again, that was the first year I applied and my app just sucked anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern lost my secondary entirely, which was problematic since they have a strict deadline (two weeks after receipt). I ended up, after being on the phone with almost every day for half a month, sending in a new one along with a letter of explanation. They got that one, then about a week later they "found" the first one. Talk about a stressful month.

NYU and Mount Sinai lost my recommendation letters - or should I say shredded them??? Since my letters probably arrived before my application and they didnt think to open a folder like every other school should do. It's pretty frustrating :mad:

NYU also lost my LORs and transcript... and didn't notify me about them until almost two months later... :mad:

Yale was on strike for a while and lost my certification form and my check. Had to send in a new one.

uci lost one of the letters in my rec packet...had to resend it. drexel lost my whole rec packet, so had to resend that too. but my app's complete at both now, so i'm good to go=)

sorry it happened to you, best thing to do is just resend the stuff. it happens.

I had a school lose all of letters of recommendation along with my secondary. You think that they would be more careful dealing with people's future and all.....Maybe I just have an enemy in the admissions office.

Actually, other than the admission office losing stuff, beware of the postoffice people as well. I don't know if they are now all using emails to communicate with applicants, or if they still use snail mail. When I was applying 4 years ago, I got a call from UCSF one day asking why I hadn't replied to their interview invitation that was sent 2.5 months earlier and if I was still interested. I NEVER got the letter. I don't know if it was the post office or my dorm's mailroom. But the lesson is: check regularly, call them. You never know what you've missed, and they don't always call to check up on you.