Medical school scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ketu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there med schools that provide scholarships to incoming students that covers annual tuition?
I know some of them do:
Columbia
NYU
Weill Cornell
UCLA(few merit based)

*I'm thinking of creating a comprehensive list.

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford, Yale

Also keep in mind that schools like Cornell, Columbia, and Stanford only offer need-based aid. So you have to qualify in order to receive it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there med schools that provide scholarships to incoming students that covers annual tuition
I know some of them do:
Columbia
NYU
Weill Cornell
UCLA(few merit based)

*I'm thinking of creating a comprehensive list.

You really need two separate lists, one for Need-based aid and the other for Merit-based aid scholarships.

In case you didn’t know, government loans are able to be taken to cover the full COA determined by each school. So, partial scholarships of either type are still highly desirable, not just full-tuition ones.

You really need two separate lists, one for Need-based aid and the other for Merit-based aid scholarships.

In case you didn’t know, government loans are able to be taken to cover the full COA determined by each school. So, partial scholarships of either type are still highly desirable, not just full-tuition ones.
There is one more category, recruitment aid 😀

Also, Columbia does give merit / recruitment aid, at least up to ~1/2 tuition, but I am not sure whether it goes up to full tuition.

Last edited:
I go to a completely average state MD school, and was pleasantly surprised to receive scholarship monies every year here that I did not expect.
I don’t fit any of the typical demographics of those who receive random scholarships (at my school that includes being from a rural town, URM etc) but still got a little every year.

my advice is to apply to the schools you want to get into and once you have the acceptances ask questions of current students at each school what the situation is and use that to help your decision.

Ignore my advice if you are an NYU-caliber applicant looking for full rides.

Reactions: 4 users
Chicago has ~$8M set aside to distribute to a class of 90 each year - common to get half/75%/100% tuition scholarships if accepted. They're also very good at negotiating competing offers (even from lower ranked programs).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Johns Hopkins gives extremely generous need-based (not merit-based) aid. They calculate COA - EFC - $20.5k unit loan, and the remainder is a need-based scholarship. Since the non-tuition aspects of the cost of attendance (budget for housing/food/etc.) exceed $20.5k, someone with little-to-no expected family contribution could theoretically receive a need-based scholarship that exceeds the cost of tuition. (Another way of putting this is that if every medical student's family contributed as much as their EFC was calculated to be, then no medical student would need to take out more than $20.5k in loans per year.) Hopkins is also generous in its calculation of EFC; my EFC as calculated by Hopkins was lower than at the other institutions I was accepted to. They heavily factor if you have any sibling(s) in college for whom your family is also paying tuition, for example.

University of Maryland SOM offers full-tuition merit-based scholarships to competitive applicants (anecdotally, 95th+ MCAT percentile).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Military Scholarships are also available. National Guard too with much less commitment. Here in NJ they cover full tuition rather. DM me for more details

anecdotal to me
University central Florida- 100% of students get a scholarship
Florida State University- probably have to be instate tho
Georgetown- Stuart scholarship...have to be URm tho

OUWB in Michigan- 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% as far as I know. All merit-based, recruitment aid. They are new so they need to recruit people.

Penn State has a need-based loan program where you can borrow from the school without interest rate while you are in school and only start getting interest once you graduate. Better than the federal loan rn

Stanford has need-based and merit-based scholarship.

UVA offers need-based scholarships up to half tuition costs for low EFC. They also offer merit scholarships up to half tuition costs. They also have a primary care track scholarship program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you are an under-represented minority there are many scholarships available at schools and in the community. Many medical schools also have URM scholarships. There are a limited number of merit based scholarships - you need to be extremely desirable (URM and/or High MCAT etc) to the school. Some schools have full tuition for everyone - Cleveland Clinic CWRU and I think NYU. There may be more now. Many also have generous financial aid - like Harvard where there is no family contribution if you make under a certain amount. Just keep in mind that even if you are completely on your own, financial aide in Medical School considers your parents income. There are nowhere near the number of scholarships as there are for undergrad. It is very, very disappointing.

Geisinger offers some full tuition merit scholarships that sometimes have mission fit or donor set criteria (geographic, financial need, etc) in addition to their primary care scholar program that is more of a taxed loan forgiveness than scholarship.

also NYU Long Island is a newer 3 year school with full tuition + residency spot but is also “primary care” focused.

Last edited:
I’ve heard of nearly all Texas schools giving up to full tuition to strong applicants. Difficult to predict who will get them
Do you have any idea if these are typically offered after interviews or following the match when you are already accepted?

University of Minnesota offers a small number of merit-based full-tuition scholarships.

Emory University School of Medicine also offers four Woodruff Fellowships each year that cover full cost of tuition as well as a small stipend to help with living expenses.

Neither of these scholarships require a separate application

Chicago has ~$8M set aside to distribute to a class of 90 each year - common to get half/75%/100% tuition scholarships if accepted. They're also very good at negotiating competing offers (even from lower ranked programs).
By this math, they could give all 90 students full tuition for about $6M. What do they do with the extra money?
with the $8M they could almost give all 90 full COA.

By this math, they could give all 90 students full tuition for about $6M. What do they do with the extra money?
with the $8M they could almost give all 90 full COA.
I think the $8M is distributed for all 4 years. COA is roughly 360-400K over 4 years for a given student. Pritzker only gives a max scholarship of 100% tuition (which would be about ~$270K over 4 years).

so the $8M, if used only for full tuition scholarships, could only cover about 30 students. I’m not sure where the 8M number is from, but I recall seeing it somewhere.

anecdotal to me
University central Florida- 100% of students get a scholarship
Florida State University- probably have to be instate tho
Georgetown- Stuart scholarship...have to be URm tho
Do you happen to have any idea of the amount of scholarship those at UCF have received?