Medical school or practicing medicine in the UK (from US)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doublepeak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my last year of undergraduate at a university in the US. I am a US citizen. I have submitted my application to a few US medical schools. However, I was looking into applying to schools in the UK because I much prefer a socialized medical system, and my fiance wants to work in international development (and the UK has much more employment and schooling oppurtunities in that field). My fiance has dual UK/US citizenship but is a resident of only the US while I have no other ties to the UK. After we get married (next May) and being in Britian, his parents said that it would be straightforward to obtain citizenship.

It seems as most US students want to go to medical school in the UK and eventually return to the US to do residencies, etc. But, if I got accepted into a UK school I would want to stay in Britian.

My questions:
1) How competitive is it to get into a British medical school in their graduate entry program (I have only found a couple of them)? I would prefer to be in England. I have a 3.85 GPA in chemistry and exercise physiology double major. I completed general honors requirements for my school. Whenever I look online I am confused with the A-level, etc examinations that I am unfamiliar with. It will cost a lot of money and effort for me to apply because I would have to fly in for interviews, take different examination, etc. so I don't want to waste it if I only have a small chance.
2)Many schools seem to prefer international applicants from countries without medical schools. Is this true? Would I be better off just getting a M.D. in the US and then settling in the UK later if I choose to? Where could I find information regarding the process of postgraduate training and foreign medical students practicing in the UK.

Thank you for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

The UK graduate entry courses are very competitive and I know that many are only open to UK residents, so it is best to check befor applying. Warwick Medical School do take so overseas students I believe, so that may be worth pursuing. I think you are right about UK medical schools views to overseas students though, most come from commonwealth countries or underdeveloped countries with no/ poor medical education facilities.

I am sorry but I have no knowledge of US college exams so you will be best asking individual medical schools if your grades are suitable for entry.

The General Medical Council (GMC) have information on how foreign medical graduates may get registered to practice and pursue postgraduate qualifications in the UK.

A-level examinations are done in the final year of high-school. To my knowledge, they are for entry into college (or a 6 year medical program).

As for the process and eligibility to become a UK citizen by marriage, check out the home offices website on citizenship (you might have to live in the UK for a while before you can apply).

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/british_citizenship/english/homepage.html

B. Requirements for a person applying as the husband or wife of a British citizen

6. The person applying must:

a. be 18 or over;

b. not be of unsound mind;

c. be of good character;

d. have sufficient knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic (see note 1);

e. be married to a British citizen on the date the application is received; and

f. either meet the residential requirements set out in paragraph 7 and 8 below, or be married to a British citizen who is working abroad, or is likely soon to be posted abroad, in Crown service under the Government of the United Kingdom (see Note 2) or the government of a qualifying territory (see Note 6) or in service specially designated under section 2(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981, and who was recruited in the United Kingdom to that service (see paragraph 9 below).

7. The residential requirements are that:

a. the person applying was in the United Kingdom (see Note 3) at the beginning of the three-year period that ended on the date the application is received;

b. on the date the application is received, the applicant's stay in the United Kingdom is not subject to any time limit under the immigration laws (see Note 5);

c. in the three-year period, he or she was not outside the United Kingdom for more than 270 days (see Note 4);

d. in the last 12 months of that three-year period, he or she was not outside the United Kingdom for more than 90 days; and

e. he or she was not, at any time in that three-year period, in the United Kingdom in breach of the immigration laws.