Medical school loan complicated by marriage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okitaitsi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I would like to ask a question pertaining to EFC(expected family contribution) borrowing loans for medical school while married. My husband has a relatively high salary; however he is also paying for an expensive mortgage. Judging by our financial situation he is unlikely to be able to help out on my tuition. I'm wondering if anyone knows how this kind of situation plays out. Will the government expect my spouse to come up with a large chunk of money for my education? Do I have other options to get enough funds for medical school without my spouse chipping in?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

EFC has no bearing on the amount of loans you’ll be offered. Medical school students aren’t eligible for grants, where the EFC can be a factor.

EFC has no bearing on the amount of loans you’ll be offered. Medical school students aren’t eligible for grants, where the EFC can be a factor.

Which factors affect the amount of loans I can borrow? I was under the impression that if spouse makes money the loans aren't as generous.

Which factors affect the amount of loans I can borrow? I was under the impression that if spouse makes money the loans aren't as generous.
Some schools have need based aid and that can be affected by your spouse’s income, but you will be offered loans up to the school’s total cost of attendance regardless of income. Fill out the FAFSA and the Grad Plus Loan applications, and talk to your school’s financial aid office for more specifics.

My husband makes a high salary too, and I was just offered full tuition and cost of attendance in loans for the upcoming year.

Reactions: 1 user