Medical school international? Stay in Canada? Undergrad???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwinMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ! I'm an 11th grade Canadian high school student and hope to be a Doctor. I am from Toronto, Canada and have been trying to decide IF I should do an undergrad. The programs I have looked into like Atlantic Bridge's 6-year don't require an undergrad. But, should I do one for my self? Its a time in your life when you have fun and get a feel for being independent and meeting new people? Would it be a bad idea to miss out on this experience? I have 3 options that I have been flipping between

1. Go to a lower ranking school like York and get a Bachelor of Science with high grades in undergrad so I can go to a Med school in Canada or simply increase chances of getting accepted into a med school.

2. Go to MCGILL a high ranked school that is considered "the ivy league school of Canada" and get slightly lower grades in a more competitive environment, but will get an awesome experience in Montreal and a nice diploma that will set me apart from other applicants??? Also I would get either a Bachelor of the Arts or a Bachelor of Arts and Science

3. Go straight into med school through a 6-year program and skip undergrad and my MCATS (not required)

my average is a 90%

I did not take physics 11u, should I take it in the summer?

My grades have been consistent and I am part of many extracurricular s. I work at a gym, am President of my school newspaper, Secretary for my school's Red Cross club, have 225 volunteer hours, taught English in Taiwan as a volunteer, and partake in many other clubs and school events.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the university you go to means nothing. To get into McGill, I believe you need to have 86%+ in your pre-req science courses and at least a 90% overall. (this was about 3 years ago when I was applying). Get into uni and get the best marks possible, where you go doesn't matter if you plan to do medicine in Canada.

You might not even make it into McGill. Take Physics over the summer since its used in the MCAT. Don't choose option 3. I would choose option 2, don't go to York if you won't like it. Go to where you are happy living in. Prestige though, shouldn't factor into your decision, medical schools don't care where you did your undergrad, except maybe if you apply to the US.

McGill isn't as prestigious as you think, really its nothing compared to the Ivy League. A 90% is fairly easy to achieve in most high schools and McGill doesn't even require ECs or grades from Gr. 9-11.