Medical School in Germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtneel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can help!

Hi

Anybody who would like to have information concerning Medical School in Germany and what it details i can help.
I got accepted to the University of Mainz, in Mainz, Germany. I turned it down though and will be attending U of Miami for "Nurse Practitioner."

If you speak German and need some infos or help just email

Neelia :oops:)

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
Well yeah I have a question :confused: (check out my coolo icon there by me)

Why did you give up a whole medical degree to be a nurse practioner?

No, GEEZ P L E A S E don't nobody get offended or nuthin' - there's nothing wrong with being a nurse practitioner if that's what you want to be. But yeah I'm curious what made you make that decision...

I had many reasons for choosing not to go.. First I decided I was going to go to School to be a Nurse Practitioner before i got accepted. I talked to many people, including a current medical student at the University of Mainz. I then got accepting and even debated about changing my mind back and indeed go to med school. But i just decided it was not what i wanted to do.
Some reasons:
I went to school 5 years to get my Bachelors
Even though i speak fluent German it is still difficult to read and would take me longer than typical because of this fact.
It would be another 6 or more years here in the German University of lectures and classroom work before i could even do anything.
After that you do 1.5 years or so of internships/residencies
After that you have to work for several years with another doctor before you can actually practice alone
After that you can only practice medicine in Germany or perhaps other foreign countries.

I'm just ready to start doing something besides food service. I went to school for 5 years am and EMT and right now here in Germany i can't do anything medical.
I don't want to have to wait another 6+ years to have patient interaction.
My goal is to go into Medical Missions as a career and not spend the rest of my life in school. I weighed the options and i believe i can do medically all that i want to do as a nurse practitioner. Plus i can get started a lot faster "doing something" and into the mission field faster.

If you don't mind going to school for 12+ years and speak german i would certainly recommend a German University as they are basically tution free. Its about 200 dollars a semester for student fees. The hard part is getting accepted as there only abou t 18 places for foreigners.

Hope this helps
Neelia :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Very interesting post.

Good luck.:)

Hi there,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am currently working on my undergrad degree in Kinesiology with all of the pre-med requirements. I think I have a good chance of getting into med school here in the states; however I might need to move to Germany for family reasons. Does my undergrad count for anything when I go to Germany and when I want to apply to their med schools? and do I still have to go through all of the basic pre-reqs of bio, chem, etc.?? I just dont know if this would be a smart move especially since I know absolutely no German. So I would need a couple of years to get begin speaking it. Can you please advise me? thanks

Perhaps it would have been better to start a new thread than dredge up one that's almost six years old.

Post a new one with specific questions and I'll post my thoughts and experiences.

hi there,
i am studying medicine in italy, i wanted to ask you if you know any information about if its possible to make transfer from outside germany to germany to complete my studies there,if you know anyone that did something like this ..

thank you so much

Yes i'm pretty sure you can transfer from the EU. I believe you have to apply through the ZVS if you are EU. Just pick a University and look at the international portion of the homepage, all the important information should be there. If you can't read enough German to do that, then you probably want to consider another option because you need to be able to pass a language test to study in Germany.

Hello,

I graduated from Boston University with a degree in Health Science. I have fulfilled all the pre-requirements for most direct- entry Nursing programs that allows one to complete a Bachelors and Masters degree in three years. I was originally planning to be a Nurse Practitioner in the States, but I fell in love with (and in) Germany. I studied in Germany for 6 months as a Junior in college, and now I am back here again serving as an RA for American students who are currently studying abroad through the BU abroad program. I am almost fluent in German, and I plan to complete my second internship with two German Doctors here. I also recently became an EMT this past year in America. As of now, nurses in Germany do not function independently as healthcare givers, and I truly want to be autonomous in this profession. Does my Bachelors Degree in Health Science prepare me well enough to apply to a German medical school? Would I have to take more prerequisites before even applying? Would you suggest that someone in my position even try to do what I am pursuing? :confused: I need help, and since you seem to have a similar crossroads as I, maybe you could give me some advice?

Thank you in advance!

p.s.- if you give me some tips on how you became a Rettungssanitäterin in Germany, that would also be greatly appreciated!

i will be very grateful if someone could plz guide me. i have done a levels in bio, chem, phys, math, economics n critical thinking from england. now i really wanna apply to germany for medicine. however, the german pre-medical requirements (uni-assist) say that i need a language a level too. does that mean that i can not at all apply to germany now?

i will be very grateful if someone could plz guide me. i have done a levels in bio, chem, phys, math, economics n critical thinking from england. now i really wanna apply to germany for medicine. however, the german pre-medical requirements (uni-assist) say that i need a language a level too. does that mean that i can not at all apply to germany now?

What's the story with all the people who want to study in Germany, but don't want to learn the required language to study medicine in Germany? Furthermore, I have to question if people who are posting are even able to understand english well enough to understand the threads they are posting in and able to even see that their questions are not unique and they aren't special and that their questions have invariably been answered over and over and over again.