medical school in canada and american residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I might be moving to Canada in a year or two. If I get accepted at a Candian med school which is an AAMC respresented school, would I be able to do residency in the US? Would I be considered as an FMG?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I might be moving to Canada in a year or two. If I get accepted at a Candian med school which is an AAMC respresented school, would I be able to do residency in the US? Would I be considered as an FMG?

YES!!!!! It's easier if you have a American citizenship already (because you dont have to worry about Visa issues). Check out Western Medical School Match list. Couple ppl have obtained residency in the US, and at prestigious residency programs such as Mayo, chicago hospitals.

Mind you though it's tough to get into Canadian med schools, even tougher if you are applying as an American.

YES!!!!! It's easier if you have a American citizenship already (because you dont have to worry about Visa issues). Check out Western Medical School Match list. Couple ppl have obtained residency in the US, and at prestigious residency programs such as Mayo, chicago hospitals.

Mind you though it's tough to get into Canadian med schools, even tougher if you are applying as an American.

Hey thanks a lot for the response!! But since I'm not an American I might have visa problems. But if I do medical school in Canada, I'm still an FMG, eh?

Would residencies done in Canada be accepted in the US?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks a lot for the response!! But since I'm not an American I might have visa problems. But if I do medical school in Canada, I'm still an FMG, eh?

Would residencies done in Canada be accepted in the US?

As all Canadian schools are licensed and accredited by the LCME, the same organization which licenses and accredits US med schools, no you will not be an FMG if you graduate from a Canadian school. However, you first have to work on being accepted to a Canadian school, which is a much harder feat than matching into a US residency program.

Residencies in Canada are sometimes accepted in the US, but the licensing boards are different for the two (unlike pre-residency medical education where the two are licensed by the same group), so you would have to take the US equivalent exams and even after that, it's state-specific whether or not US states will accept Canadian residencies, and specialty specific as well.

Best bet if you want to practice and do residency in the US would be to go to medical school and complete residency in the US. Especially if this is all pie-in-the-sky and you are neither Canadian nor American.

McGill used to have a list of residencies with reciprocity to the US. Might check to see if it's still around. I'm American, did med school in the US + residency and am now starting heme/onc fellowship back in the US.

jbish said:
Best bet if you want to practice and do residency in the US would be to go to medical school and complete residency in the US. Especially if this is all pie-in-the-sky and you are neither Canadian nor American.
I second this.