Medical School Concerns ahhh!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmn623

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Toady is my first day in this forum and I am very excited because I have been trying for a long time now to collect information about studying Medicine in Ireland. I am an Irish native from Co. Roscommon but have lived in the United States for the majority of my life. I am in the process of earning a B.A. degree in Biology and would love to go to Medicinal School in Ireland for the simple reason that I love the country and I hope to move back and practice over there. I, however, am very concerned about getting in to school over there. I would love to go to school at Trinity or UCD but, as a sophomore in college, I only have a 3.2 GPA. I also don't have much medical experience having only worked in a nursing home as a dietary aide. However, I am starting volunteering at a hospital next semester and I am planning on becoming a Nursing Assistant this summer. Any idea on how hard it will be to get in with this GPA. My school is know for not inflating grades and if it would be hard to get into Med school there with this GPA I would consider transferring, but want this to be my last resort because I have made many great friends at my college. I would appreciate any advise, suggestions, comments etc. and sorry this is so long!!!
Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't be too overly worried about scores. Your 3.2 would probably be fine for now, but you have 1.5 years to boost that up even more. I also wouldn't be too concerned about doing all the traditional premed activities, but concentrate on the things you like and really have an interest in. They won't mind that you haven't worked in a hospital before, working as a dietary aide for a nursing home is also a good volunteer activity if you like it. hospital volunteering/shadowing is just good to see if you like that sort of environment, but don't feel you HAVE to. Another thing they like to see is some research, but they like to see people with different experiences from "the norm" and people who have real passion for whatever it is they do.

Thanks leorl!

And... to be a pain...I was also wondering if you know what kind of research they look for? Is this laboratory research? I really am adamant about working in the healthcare field and I was wondering, if I am not accepted by a Medical School, do they have Physician Assistant positions in Ireland and, if so, do you know if there is a demand for them? I know that the Physician's Assistants are becoming increasingly in demand in America and are very similar to Doctors. I'm trying to consider all of my possibilities and be realistic about the fact that I may not get into Med school. I just want to make sure that I will be able to practice in Ireland and that I leave my options open, should things not work according to plan.

I would appreciate any input that you have on these ?s ... Thanks again!
cmn623

Members don't see this ad :)
cmn623 said:
Thanks leorl!

And... to be a pain...I was also wondering if you know what kind of research they look for? Is this laboratory research? I really am adamant about working in the healthcare field and I was wondering, if I am not accepted by a Medical School, do they have Physician Assistant positions in Ireland and, if so, do you know if there is a demand for them? I know that the Physician's Assistants are becoming increasingly in demand in America and are very similar to Doctors. I'm trying to consider all of my possibilities and be realistic about the fact that I may not get into Med school. I just want to make sure that I will be able to practice in Ireland and that I leave my options open, should things not work according to plan.

I would appreciate any input that you have on these ?s ... Thanks again!
cmn623
Study hard and write the MCAT if you can. I bet if you break 30 on the MCAT you'll get into one of the Irish schools. Even without it, you've got a good chance.

Don't give up, if you want it bad enough some school will take you.

Well, at the moment, Trinity (and possibly UCD too?) do not require the MCAT, unless something is changing along with the curriculum changes. PA's don't really exist here unless you want to be a doc's personal assistant (secretary). The only healthcare options here are pretty much the traditional ones. About research, it can be either laboratory or clinical ;). I wouldn't look at the negative side of things - as I said, you still have a couple years to go and you aren't doing too badly at all. Just make sure that whatever it is that you do, you really enjoy and have a passion for.