Medical school application-is it worth it with my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarah9t3

Reaction score
Hello all!

I graduated with a Bachelors of Science degree with a cumulative and science GPA of below a 2.75 (sorry I can't find the exact numbers).

I recently graduated with a Master's of science in Biological Sciences with a 3.75 science and 3.9 non-science.

My question to the forum is: with the several rejections I'm getting already, was applying worth it? I didn't realize that so many schools have a minimum GPA requirement for undergrad and that some combine my GPA's in turn lowering my graduate statistics drastically.

Other than trying to get an amazing MCAT score (which I haven't taken yet- due to COVID-19) is there anything else I need to do to increase my chances at admissions into medical school?

Thank you for any advice!!

Sarah

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take enough undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . Otherwise you will be screened out at many schools. A sGPA of 2.75 is not competitive at any MD or DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out Goro’s guide for reinvention. You probably need to take a couple semesters of science courses to boost your GPA.
You need to take enough undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . Otherwise you will be screened out at many schools. A sGPA of 2.75 is not competitive at any MD or DO school.
Is 36 credits of science only courses not enough?

Is 36 credits of science only courses not enough?
If you score 514+ on the MCAT you could receive some DO interviews and perhaps even some MD schools. Do not expect success with a sGPA of 2.75 though. Why are you even applying without a MCAT score ?

your masters results are great! But,
You cannot apply to medical schools without an MCAT score, unless explicitly stated that they are waiving the MCAT for this cycle.
You should apply with an undergraduate cumulative and science GPA above 3.0

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all!

I graduated with a Bachelors of Science degree with a cumulative and science GPA of below a 2.75 (sorry I can't find the exact numbers).

I recently graduated with a Master's of science in Biological Sciences with a 3.75 science and 3.9 non-science.

My question to the forum is: with the several rejections I'm getting already, was applying worth it? I didn't realize that so many schools have a minimum GPA requirement for undergrad and that some combine my GPA's in turn lowering my graduate statistics drastically.

Other than trying to get an amazing MCAT score (which I haven't taken yet- due to COVID-19) is there anything else I need to do to increase my chances at admissions into medical school?

Thank you for any advice!!

Sarah
Yes, it will be worth applying with a good MCAT score. Was your MS an SMP or research MS?

Yes, it will be worth applying with a good MCAT score. Was your MS an SMP or research MS?

In this case would you advise someone like this (providing they had a good MCAT) to reach out to schools? Will this help get them past the auto-screens? (Or is this not a common practice?)