medical school and settling down in AUS..how does that work for a US student???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nk2050

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering if i get into an australian medical school and marry someone in aus(my boyfriend is from aus)…so probably by the 2 or 3rd yr of the medical school i will get pr…what happens then? Will they kick me out? Do I have to reapply as a local student? What are my chances anyway? or should I get the pr first then apply to their med schools? Is this going to be harder for me to get in? I am a student/citizen from US … have 3.5 GPA and 34 on mcat… the bottom line is I wanna get married and settle down in aus…I am also determined to get into med school..i am just not sure how I should approach and which path will be the cheapest…thanks in advance for any adviceJ

Members don't see this ad.

Instead of going to this board email the schools to see if getting PR will get you kicked out if you go to a medical school in Australia as an international student.

So I was wondering if i get into an australian medical school and marry someone in aus(my boyfriend is from aus)…so probably by the 2 or 3rd yr of the medical school i will get pr…what happens then? Will they kick me out? Do I have to reapply as a local student? What are my chances anyway? or should I get the pr first then apply to their med schools? Is this going to be harder for me to get in? I am a student/citizen from US … have 3.5 GPA and 34 on mcat… the bottom line is I wanna get married and settle down in aus…I am also determined to get into med school..i am just not sure how I should approach and which path will be the cheapest…thanks in advance for any adviceJ

I'm actually in pretty much the exact situation as you are, except I'm from Canada. Please let me know if you find anything out about this, and I'll do the same for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on the school you go to, but for Sydney,... I quote...

There are three possible situations relating to the position of international applicants to the Medical Program who change their immigration status:

1. The applicant’s status changes before an offer is made.
If an international student is granted permanent resident status (or New Zealand citizenship) before an offer is made, his/her application will be void. He/she may re-apply for a domestic place in a subsequent intake.

2. An international student becomes a permanent resident of Australia (or a New Zealand citizen) after an offer is made and prior to enrolment.
An international student who is granted permanent residency (or New Zealand citizenship) after an offer is made and prior to enrolment must be re-assessed for admission into a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)*. For this purpose, a student is considered to have commenced his/her course at the date on which he/she attended enrolment for the course.

Eligibility for admission to a CSP is dependent upon:

• the standard of results achieved in the applicant's previous academic qualifications (and in any other entry requirement) relating to the course for which admission is sought being equivalent to that required by a domestic student to obtain a CSP in the course, and,
  • a CSP being available in the applied course.
If an applicant is not eligible for admission to a CSP in his/her applied course, the offer may be revoked and he/she may apply for admission to a course for which he/she meets the entry requirements for a CSP.

The date of becoming a permanent resident is the date stamped on the student’s passport or a "Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status" from the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC), not the date on which the application for status is made.

3. An international student becomes a permanent resident of Australia (or a New Zealand citizen) after enrolment.
An international student who is granted permanent residency (or New Zealand citizenship) after enrolment may, according to the Higher Education Support Act 2003, transfer to a Domestic Full Fee Paying place. If the student obtains Permanent Residency Status or advises the University after the census date, the student will be classified as an international student for the remainder of that semester. The student will be classified as permanent resident from the following semester or term.

* For the purposes of admission into the MBBS, students may be offered a standard CSP or a Bonded Medical Place (BMP) or Medical Rural Bonded Scholarship Scheme Places (MRBSS). The type of CSP offered will be based on the standard of the applicant’s academic qualifications and the availability of places. Further information about BMPs or MRBSS places can be obtained from http://www.health.gov.au/bmpscheme or http://www.health.gov.au/mrbscholarships.

This information can be found on the Sydney Medical School's website under:

Future Students>International Students> Offers, Quotas, Derferment, Transfer & Change of Immigration Status...

Hope that helps.

Yes you will have to be very careful with getting a PR while in medical school. Various schools have different policies so it depends on your school but here are the general policies:

1. Apply for a place as a local once you get your PR - if there's a spot you can transfer over, if not you lose your place

2. Your tuition is converted to full fee paying, so essentially nothing changes, except you have a good chance at getting an internship

3. You can not get a local spot, and you can't remain as an international - very rare, but I remember at least one undergraduate school having this policy - the only option is to then attempt to transfer to another school (as a local).

You seriously should contact the medical schools directly to find out what will happen if you do get PR while enrolled in medical school in Australia. Do not ever assume that you will be able to continue your studies if you get PR, there have been cases where students have been kicked out. So do not risk it, contact your school and get their policy in writing!!!

I can also guarantee you that it is much much harder to get into an Australian medical school as a local than it is as an international student.