Medical School Admissions: How can I improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've been thinking about trying to get into a MD/PhD program for a while now, but I don't know if I stand a chance or not. I was hoping I could get some advice here.

I'm majoring in biomedical engineering from UT. Unfortunately, my GPA is on the low side. Due to some personal issues and the difficulty of my courses, I fell extremely behind in my school work, so my GPA dropped from a 3.8 to a 3.2 over the past two semesters. I think I can manage to bring it up to a 3.4 before I apply, but that's still a little low.

However, I do have extensive research experience for an undergraduate. I will have 8 semesters of research in a neuroengineering lab by the time I apply as well as one, probably two publications in which I'll be first author. Both my research mentor (a post-doc), and the professor in charge of my lab are known for writing phenomenal letters of recommendation. I've won an award for my current project as well. I also had a summer internship at an institution for neurosurgery at a local hospital in which I shadowed some well-known surgeons.

I also have over a 100 hours of volunteering at a blood bank, and although I've yet to take the MCAT, I scored a 34 on a practice exam. I have some other less outstanding extra-curricular activities as well.

So, given the following, should I even bother applying or should I simply apply to a MD or PhD program? Do I even stand a chance of getting accepted into a regular MD program?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated as a biomedical engineer with a less than desirable GPA. I plan to get a masters to raise my gpa, but do not know what to get it in. If I go the engineering route and do not get into medical school, I am essentially hedging medical school and can go all out engineering. Whereas, if I go the masters in medical sciences route, that will be a large expense with seemingly little reward if I don't get into medical school. Obviously, the medical sciences route is more of a feeder program for medical schools and I want to give myself the best chances of getting in, I just don't know HOW MUCH MORE it will improve my chances versus an advanced engineering degree. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thank you for your inquiry. It is decision time for you. Med programs received many applications from engineering majors and, in truth, if you can find an engineer that can interact with humans you probably have a very special doctor. To become eligible for a look from medical schools they really want to see the motivation. That motivation is mostly composed of a consistent history of medical clinical volunteering, ditto for consistency of community service volunteering, team work/leadership skills, some physician shadowing, and some basic science research is helpful (but not required for most programs.) Throw those things together with some solid semesters of full-time basic science course work and a solid MCAT and you will be a completitive applicant for most programs. Upon entering a basic science degree program work closely with that school's prehealth advising office and the MSAR book which they should have available to you. I wish you well.

I am still a freshmen at UMBC and am majoring in Bio BS. My main problem is that my first semester i slacked off a recieved a 1.7 and as a result of that was put on academic probahtion. Since then i have fixed my self up and currently have a 4.0 in my second semester. I just took finals and am sure i did well enough to keep my 4.0 for this semester. I am not a stupid kid i just slacked off at the wrong time. how are my chances for med-school if i keep gettin 4.0's n my semesters and score well on the MCAT?

You can overcome a bad early semester or year, but you cannot afford to set a pattern of occassionally slacking. Med programs will often look at the academic progression of an applicant and will also provide a place for you to explain that rough period on the supplemental application. Your mission now is to continue the strong academics and score well on the MCAT. You also must show a strong motivation for medicine by consistently volunteering in a clinical medical and also community service environment, do some physician shadowing, display teamwork and leadership skills, and also participate in some basic science lab research (not a requirement, but helpful for most programs.)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all, a big hobby of mine has been playing online poker and i know when must non poker players here that an immediate negative connotation is attached with that and with gambling, but i'm actually pretty good bc I put in alot of time reading and understanding the game.... and in some respects it is similar to medicine in that your using incomplete data to make decisions, and trying to decipher patterns.... and my opinion is that gambling is what you do for leisure but playing poker is aobut creating edges..... anyway i'm concerned about when being asked about my hobbies/ interests that I can't mention this because in most of my experiences, the negative connotation associated with gambling takes over.... what are your opiinions about mentioning playing poker as a hobby. I was thinking about saying I like games of strategy that involve heavy decision making and include cards game as an example and not give poker as the major example but mix it in w/ card games and a couple other of my strategy games interests... wat is your opinion on this?

Greatly appreciated for all your answers

Thank you for this inquiry. My opinion is that this can be a touchy subject which will lead others to perceptions regardless of what you say when you describe your motivations. I think that there is more chance of risk rather than reward in relation to medical school admissions. If you feel that you must discuss it at all maybe consider calling it stragetic gaming and focus on the challenges involved without speaking of poker/gambling.

Dear AdComms,

I have applied to only a few school this year in TX as a nonresident (I will become a resident in a couple of months, but I am geographically constrained, so I couldn't apply elsewhere), and have received no interviews. My MCAT score is a 29Q (BS 9, VR 10, PS 10), undergrad cGPA is 3.74, sGPA is 3.63, grad GPA is 3.64. I have a BS and MS in math (but was premed). I have lots of research and volunteer experience. I am working, but have not been able to land a health-related job.

Since I most likely will not get into schools by the fall, I have been thinking of applying to MPH programs so that I can do something health-related in the time that I am waiting to get into med school. I am just not sure if this will improve my application at all. I was wondering if there any other suggestions on how I could improve it. Should I re-take the MCAT and take more science courses? I'm not sure if re-taking would be the best solution for me because I didn't get above a 29 on practice exams the first time (and studying was basically all I was doing for several months).

Thanks so much for your time!

Thank you for your inquiry. The Texas system is a little different, but my perception is that your numbers are competitive to be selected for an interview. If you were listed as a TX resident and did not get selected there must be some other problem. If you were not listed as a TX resident and will meet the requirement soon, you should work with the application service to change that field in your application and contact programs to let them know that you will be a TX resident before the class matriculates.

While you did mention academics which appear to be competitive, you did not mention the EC's. To be an overall competitive applicant you should display a consistent motivation for medicine by volunteering in a medical clinical environment, consistent community service, some physician shadowing, teamwork/leadership skills and often some basic science research is helpful. Examine your application for these things and contact some med admissions folks in close proximity to you for a visit to see what they think of your application. If all that you say about your application is true, and you applied earlier in the cycle and have no interviews, it is curious why you have not received some interviews. Maybe your essays, LOR's, bad semester, light science loads, residency status, or something similar is putting the programs off??

You make it seem that retaking the MCAT is risky and a 29 isnt too far off the mark, so too is your GPA. An MPH is a good complimentary degree for the MD, but is not good for proving basic science academic deficiencies. In your case it would be a decent option and when possible, mix in some basic science course work to continue to show strength there.

Your first action should be to go visit and get an opinion from the program that you have applied to. I hope that this helps.

As we all do I have a story of my own and will try to make it quick, I am 24 in my last semester as a undergraduate and will finish with a 2.9 GPA with a B.A. in Health and Nutrition. Previously, I decided to do nursing because I knew I loved medicine ultimately transferring to another school. While doing nursing, I was working two jobs and doing clinical in my junior and got totally burned out leaving my old school in 2006 with F’s and a 2.3 GPA. I managed to get into another school not looking at the programs offered, only the fact that this was a school my aunt graduated from. I knew my heart was in medicine, so I decided to major in Health and Nutrition because I thought this was the best route to take at the time. Still confused about the direction I should go, I met with an pre-med advisor of the school I transferred to who told me I was not good enough to go into medicine, from then I lost my confidence and just wanted to finish my degree and would hopefully figure out which direction for me was best. Not until recently did I realize that it was crazy of me to allow someone’s opinion dictate my future, even though I allowed my grade to slip I soon believe I deserved and was good enough to go into the field of medicine. Every time I am at a doctor’s office, no matter if it is for a dentist or to see my primary care physician, I feel at home and I’m reassured medicine and helping other is where my heart is.
I am at a crossroad because I am not sure which direction I should go at this point…
1.) I was looking into going to PA school because of my grades and the time.
or
2.) Looking at my options for Medical School, I’m not sure what to do.
I do have some science classes I have taken, but not enough to take the MCAT. I am not sure if it is wise to go into a post baccalaureate program because my GPA does not meet medical school requirements. I am hoping you are able to give me some advice as to what may be my best option at this point.
Thank you in advance .
SweetPea J

Well SweetPea you are at a time and place where you must make a decision. If you want a job in health care and can become a PA go for it. PA's or nurses are in great demand and are important to the HC system. In many cases, with some experience, they work very independently under the direction of a doctor. That may be the quickest and most guaranteed way for you to fulfill your desires.

Entry to medical schools is very competitive and you must come strong and motivated. A medical program is going to see your up's and down's and wonder about your academic ability to complete the program. If you decide that you want to take a shot at becoming a doctor, and with your history, you must do it in a very focused way that will leave no doubt as to your motivations and academic viability. How? Well first you must enter into a full-time academic degree-seeking program that is focused on the basic sciences. You have no margin for error so the grades must be strong and you must follow this up with a strong (30+?) MCAT. My thoughts would be to obtain a second bachelors degree (~60hrs) mostly in unique basic science course work, dont repeat course work unless you can justify to build that strong foundation. While doing this you should also demonstrate the motivations by consistently volunteering in a medical clinical environment, consistently volunteer in community service, demonstrate teamwork/leadership, and if possible also particiapte in some basic science lab research (not a requirement for most programs.) Remember that doing all of this makes you a more competitive applicant, but does not guarantee you anything. I hope that this gives you something to consider.

I am a semi-graduated Harvard student who majored in Neurobiology who really would like to get into any medical school as soon as possible. So I’m wondering what I can do to strengthen my application as I know I seriously screwed myself over as an undergrad.

A quick run-down of my GPA according to the AMCAS calculator:

Frosh: BCMP 2.1 – Overall 2.4
Soph: BCMP 2.82 – Overall 2.76
Junior: BCMP 2.68 – Overall 2.71
Senior: BCMP 1.5 – Overall 2.56
Total: BCMP 2.43, Overall 2.62

My MCAT score from Jan 2010 was
.(VR):. 13 Percentile Range: 98.3 - 99.7
.(PS):. 07 Percentile Range: 23.9 - 40.9
.(WS):. O Percentile Range: 40.2 - 52.9
.(BS):. 10 Percentile Range: 57.7 - 77.0
.Total Score:. 30O Percentile Range: 73.8 - 79.0

EC's (during College):
- Shadowed anesthesiologists in the US (this was what confirmed my desire to become a doc)
- Ran/organized a sports/cultural club (this was incredibly time intensive and involved a lot of business savvy skills)
- Volunteer tutoring ESL for elderly Chinese
- led small groups for Christian organization

My GPA was severely affected by medical issues (including diagnosis of manic-depression as well as misdiagnoses leading to…interesting events). One of these interesting events also included an episode of serious lapse in judgment in forging a doctors’ note (desperate times, my senior spring was kind of a blur of chaos and pain), which led to an academic probation (which is why I’m “graduated” but will not receive my diploma until 2011). Have now gotten myself properly diagnosed and treated and am now happily working as a medical admin assistant in a hematology/oncology dept, so lots of patient contact.

In my heart of hearts, I really want to be a doctor – I’ve gone through a series of medical mysteries, and each time, it has confirmed my desires to become a doctor. Shadowing the anesthesiologists was one of the best times of my life (despite getting up at 5am every day to do this).
My question now is – I know my undergrad career was seriously fail. But I’m also confident in my abilities to complete medical school successfully and well…if I’m given the chance. I know I’m a bright student …Harvard was just…a bad time for me, what with medical and personal issues…but I know they’ve been dealt with and treated now and I’m looking for a fresh start. But I know that my record is enough for adcoms to toss aside….so how do I get past the starting gate?

Should I retake my MCATs? …to be frank, they were taken while I was ill and I’m certain my PS score can be improved, if not the others as well. But I’m not sure how retaking MCATs is looked upon?

What else can I do to present myself as a viable applicant?

….or am I seriously a lost cause….?

I apologize for the long post – and thank you for your time and advice. My parents don’t know English, and I really am not sure where else to turn.

Well Baron D.V. so far the only thing that makes me think that you can make yourself a competitive applicant is your MCAT score which does show some potential. So with that I am going to say that you fit in the group that can do it if you really want to, but it will take some really hard work and motivation because it will not be easy. It will take absolute focus because you cannot afford ANY more slip-ups. For brevity's sake I will not go into all of the discussion. I'll just lay it out and you will have to decide whether it is worth it, especially if the outcome will not be guaranteed.

You must display strong academics in the basic science discipline. This means full-time loads at a four-year institution. You will have to work with an advisor to see if there is enough unique basic science work for you to enter into a second BS in a basic science area. You may retake course work only if you need it to build a solid foundation for academic success. If this is possible then the second BS (~60 hrs) is the starting point. IF you do well it still may not be enough so you will have to follow with a strong effort in a MS degree in a basic science discipline (not MPH.) When ready retake the MCAT.

During this time you must also build a case for medical motivation. That means a consistent history of medical clinical vol and some physician shadowing. You must also build a strong resume of consistent community service volunteering, teamwork/leadership skills, and also some basic science lab research (not required, but helpful).

Do all of this under the guidance of a good prehealth advisor. Ever with all of this there is no guarantee, but you should get into the interview pool. You cant afford any blemishes from this point on. You should also ensure that you have not violated the law in any way that might keep you from being considered for a state license to practice medicine.

This is your decision and will require intense focus. I hope that this helps.

Mentors,

I've read your advice stating that I should approach a doctor for shadowing only if I, or someone that I know, has some sort of ties with him/her. Well, I am aspiring to be a forensic pathologist, and I am certain no one I know knows an actual pathologist. Is it then not alright to cold-call for shadowing?

Or would it be alright to shadow a specialty unrelated to my ambitions?

It is possible to cold call and be successful to obtain a shadowing experience, but more often than not you get those opportunities via building relationships while doing medical volunteering in a place where physicians are present. Maybe volunteering at a ME's office would put you in that position?

A non-traditional issue…

B.S. in Aeronautical Science (2006)
OA GPA: 3.51
BCMP: 3.55
Post Bach GPA (75credit hours): 3.74
Post Bach BCMP (60 credit hours): 3.72 (C+ in Calc 2, B+ in org chm, B in org chm 2, B+ in micro bio, all else are A’s including some upper level courses)
All post-bach work was done at a state college (recently upgraded from community college): if that makes a difference

Work: ~33hrs/wk
-11 hours supplemental instruction leader for anatomy & physiology
-22 hours valet (pay is good and flexible hours are great for college student who has bills)

Recent EC’s
-Research experience (’09) helping a student on his masters’ research project in a lab (bacteria)
-VP of Rotaract club (’10-‘11)
-pre-AMSA member (’09-’11)

Volunteer
-2009: Full week at Camp Boggy Creek as a Cabin Counselor for children with illnesses & disabilities
-2011: -a weekend (maybe two) back at Camp Boggy Creek
-hospital (hopefully starting by mid to late January) for at least 4hrs/wk

I’m scheduled to take the MCAT in late April. I’m planning to apply early this year. I know there is room for improvement in my application but need a bit of direction due to the time crunch I put myself in here. This semester I’ve dropped down from my full time status that I’ve held throughout my entire post bach in order to study for the MCAT. I’m taking 2 courses (statistics, & English 2), working the same hours, volunteering a few hours through the week and a few weekends in the spring. I have been given the opportunity to start my own research project pretty much at anytime at the school. There is also a good chance I can find a position as an adjunct professor for Anatomy & Physiology perhaps starting this summer. If I understand correctly teaching is looked highly upon?

I understand the “motivation” part of my application is lacking, would my time/efforts be best spent volunteering more hours at the hospital (clinical setting), or perhaps shadowing? More time at the camp? Maybe it’s also worth mentioning here that the Rotaract club I help run was founded on the purpose of personal leadership development and giving back to the community, where we have projects that do just that (including opportunities for community volunteerism.)

I have some research background and can probably talk for a little bit about the project I was working on, but nothing I can really say was my own that I achieved. Though I don’t think starting my own research project would get me published anytime soon. I originally wanted to apply for an MD/PhD program, but was discouraged after finding out that my GPA is nowhere near competitive enough.

Maybe it’s trivial but I was the band captain in High School. During my bachelors: I co-founded a club, and held multiple officer positions in a separate club. Just this past semester I’ve been asked by the club advisor & a club officer to take an officer position in the pre-AMSA club. Also been asked by the President & VP of SGA to step on board as a senator for SGA. Should I consider these leadership positions as an application booster, or do I already have enough leadership to fill in this category and concentrate on something else?

Where should my time and efforts be directed as I currently stand? Are there areas that I’ve overlooked that are vital?

Also, how much does debt play a role in admissions if at all? I took out a hefty chunk doing my bachelors now I’m in the hole roughly $180k.

Maybe I’m asking for too much at once here, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks ahead of time.

A non-traditional issue…

B.S. in Aeronautical Science (2006)
OA GPA: 3.51
BCMP: 3.55
Post Bach GPA (75credit hours): 3.74
Post Bach BCMP (60 credit hours): 3.72 (C+ in Calc 2, B+ in org chm, B in org chm 2, B+ in micro bio, all else are A’s including some upper level courses)
All post-bach work was done at a state college (recently upgraded from community college): if that makes a difference

Work: ~33hrs/wk
-11 hours supplemental instruction leader for anatomy & physiology
-22 hours valet (pay is good and flexible hours are great for college student who has bills)

Recent EC’s
-Research experience (’09) helping a student on his masters’ research project in a lab (bacteria)
-VP of Rotaract club (’10-‘11)
-pre-AMSA member (’09-’11)

Volunteer
-2009: Full week at Camp Boggy Creek as a Cabin Counselor for children with illnesses & disabilities
-2011: -a weekend (maybe two) back at Camp Boggy Creek
-hospital (hopefully starting by mid to late January) for at least 4hrs/wk

I’m scheduled to take the MCAT in late April. I’m planning to apply early this year. I know there is room for improvement in my application but need a bit of direction due to the time crunch I put myself in here. This semester I’ve dropped down from my full time status that I’ve held throughout my entire post bach in order to study for the MCAT. I’m taking 2 courses (statistics, & English 2), working the same hours, volunteering a few hours through the week and a few weekends in the spring. I have been given the opportunity to start my own research project pretty much at anytime at the school. There is also a good chance I can find a position as an adjunct professor for Anatomy & Physiology perhaps starting this summer. If I understand correctly teaching is looked highly upon?

I understand the “motivation” part of my application is lacking, would my time/efforts be best spent volunteering more hours at the hospital (clinical setting), or perhaps shadowing? More time at the camp? Maybe it’s also worth mentioning here that the Rotaract club I help run was founded on the purpose of personal leadership development and giving back to the community, where we have projects that do just that (including opportunities for community volunteerism.)

I have some research background and can probably talk for a little bit about the project I was working on, but nothing I can really say was my own that I achieved. Though I don’t think starting my own research project would get me published anytime soon. I originally wanted to apply for an MD/PhD program, but was discouraged after finding out that my GPA is nowhere near competitive enough.

Maybe it’s trivial but I was the band captain in High School. During my bachelors: I co-founded a club, and held multiple officer positions in a separate club. Just this past semester I’ve been asked by the club advisor & a club officer to take an officer position in the pre-AMSA club. Also been asked by the President & VP of SGA to step on board as a senator for SGA. Should I consider these leadership positions as an application booster, or do I already have enough leadership to fill in this category and concentrate on something else?

Where should my time and efforts be directed as I currently stand? Are there areas that I’ve overlooked that are vital?

Also, how much does debt play a role in admissions if at all? I took out a hefty chunk doing my bachelors now I’m in the hole roughly $180k.

Maybe I’m asking for too much at once here, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks ahead of time.

REL,

I've had not much success at recieving interviews this application cycle. I did not expect to get into the Ivy League Universities, but felt that I would atleast receive several interviews from my IS Florida schools. Can you take a look at the information I've provided below, and ask any additional questions, to give me a rough(or better) estimate/reason why I am not more successful?
I attend USF Undergrad
3.88 Overall GPA, 3.86 Science/Math
34P MCAT 13/15PS 8/15VR 13/15BS
Working in Biophysics lab (no published papers) that deals with the electric field and manipulating the sodium/potassium pump function for over a year
Significant Hospital volunteering continued from high school.
Semester volunteering at a local community food bank (reaching out to disadvantaged people)
Semester volunteering at YMCA afterschool program @ an Elementary School (leadership/mentor role)
Over 75+ Hours (Perhaps even over a 100 now) Shadowing various physicians in 4 different hospitals and one surgery center
One unfortunate draw-back that I am embarassed about is that I was originally charged with a automobile related misdemeanor, that was later reduced to a traffic offense(non-criminal) in court. This incident took place in Fall/07.

Thanks for your guidance.

Hi Mentors,

I am a very, very distressed freshman! I am at a UC that is without a pre-med advising committee and I will be the first in my family to apply to medical school (if I make it through!). Naturally, I have been running around like a headless chicken getting fragmented advice from a variety of sources--mostly upperclassmen science majors, pre-health peer advising, science major advising, and a UCSF faculty member that was on the admissions committee for a decade or so (but I feel like I am bothering him too much so I am so happy I found this beautiful website).

My current situation goes something like this. I am an intended art major (will declare Fall 2011) and am concurrently taking the pre-med requirements. I just finished my first semester and I have only taken Gen Chem so far and earned an A-. Additionally, I am on the organization committee for an annual Poverty & Homelessness Symposium, a member of Chicanos for Health Education Club, a volunteer at a Church outreach program that has a monthly community dinner for the homeless, and work part-time. This has all worked great for me and I genuinely have enjoyed all of my activities and experiences thus far.

On the flip side, I took 9 units of breadth reqs as P/NP. Both my grandparents, who raised me, died in this past semester and I was extremely overwhelmed with grief and stress. Was this a horrible mistake? I fear that this might show that I am unable to handle difficult situations. On the other hand, I literally have spent hundreds of hours in emergency rooms, ICUs, hospitals, rehab centers, etc. with my grandparents. My dissatisfaction with the service and treatment at many of these places is largely my reason for wanting to pursue medicine. Is this legitimate experience, or should I still look into volunteering in these places to get a more "clinical," perspective? Any input on this would be lovely!

This next semester and my upcoming semesters are what I am nervous about. I am interviewing for a neuroscience research position beginning this next semester that requires a 2 hour daily commitment. Although the research position is up in the air, I do intend to actively seek out a research position that interests me. Also, I arranged to shadow a neurologist at UCSF (if our schedules work out). These all seem like great opportunities that I am really stoked about. Yet, I have come to terms with the fact that there literally is not enough time in the day to do everything.

So, here come my questions. Is shadowing a surgeon more valuable than research experience? Is it too early/ever too early to be shadowing/doing research? Is it confusing to adcoms why I would be an art major while being heavily involved in research or does it simply show I have a variety of interests? Would completing a possible artist-activism internship further confuse adcoms or show a variety of interests? Will/how will my art major be questioned? If the purpose of clinical experiences is to gain insight into patient care, can I use my experience with my grandparents? Is the order and timing of classes taken considered heavily, (for I plan to take labs separately from the classes due to scheduling conflicts)? Lastly, as a minority student, will I be looked down upon for being involved in activities that focus on minorities (ex: the Chicano club)?

I would deeply appreciate any guidance with these questions.

Thank you so much for your time.

I am in the brunt of the application process right now. I have a 3.6 GPA with a double major and received a 31M on the MCAT. I have plenty of patient care experience, and a good amount of research as well. The only part I might be lacking in is community service.
I applied to about 12 schools, ranging from SUNY schools, NYMC, BU, NYU, UR, Brown, as well as a couple in PA. So far I have had only one interview (BU) in which I just received a rejection. I have also received rejections from about 4 other schools, but they were mostly reach schools anyways.
I was wondering if there is anything I should be doing to try and get more interviews, and if you think my chances of getting in somewhere are still good. I have been thinking about possibly applying to one or 2 DO schools such as PCOM whose application period is still open. Do you think that because I am just using the DO schools as a backup will cause them to overlook my application and will just be a waste of money? or should I give it a shot?
Also, in the case that I do not get in anywhere this year, I have been thinking of applying to a post bacc at Drexel and reapplying to MD schools next year. How much will the post bacc improve my chances of getting into a school next year?

Thanks for the help!

Mentors,

Currently I am a pre-medical student at an accredited liberal arts college in Nebraska. My major is in the biological sciences with a minor in philosophy. However my dilemma is that from the time I started college level work to my graduation date it will have taken me a total of seven years, albeit I took two semesters off (not concurrent). Furthermore, my college career has taken me to four different schools. I started out at a community college where I had a horrendous first quarter with D's in College Algebra and English Composition, and a B in Intro to Psych. My second quarter at that school however I received a 4.0 for the term and retook my college algebra course - earning an A in it.

Subsequently I took a semester off for personal reasons and then resumed study at the community college in the town in which I moved to. Here I completed my Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees in 18 months with a 4.0 GPA (this includes a retake of English Comp. in which I earned an A+) while being presented with nationally recognized scholarships - one of which required me to fly to Phoenix, AZ in order to receive the award.

Upon graduation I transferred to the school I am at currently where I did a year of coursework receiving a 3.606 GPA for the year. Unfortunately during the following fall semester I had an onset of severe anxiety and depression that precipitated my withdrawal from classes. During this semester I underwent therapy and decided to take a couple of non-science related courses at a college near my parent's house. After overcoming my battle with anxiety and depression I re-enrolled in classes at the liberal arts institution that I was at and resumed my study in the biological sciences. Now I am even being nominated for a prestigious scholarship at my school for those interested in the field of psychiatry or investigative neuroscience.

As I mentioned above this will mean a total of seven years of study to complete my bachelor's degree. Yet I will have accumulated 180+ credits by the time I graduate that will draw from experiences in a myriad of disciplines as well as have a strong concentration in the sciences. Assuming I finish strong and graduate with at least 3.8 GPA cumulative GPA (It is 3.83 currently) and have no grade lower than a B in science or math courses besides the original D in College Algebra during my first term of college, what are my chances of entrance into medical school?

Beyond my GPA I will have had a good amount of service work and leadership experience with the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society while working on my Associate of Arts/Science degrees at the community college I attended in which I helped out with environmental, campus and community initiatives. And I plan to start doing work that promotes mental well-being and eradication of stigmas for people with mental illness. In going through issues of anxiety and depression myself it has reaffirmed my interest in medicine and in specific psychiatry because I want to be able to help alleviate the suffering that I know a lot of people are stricken with.

So say I graduate with a 3.8 GPA and score 30+ on my MCAT, have outstanding letters of recommendation, positive community experiences, and am able to convey my desire to be a compassionate psychiatrist, do I have a realistic chance at becoming a Doctor despite the obvious red-flags of having been at four different colleges and taken seven years from start to completion to finish my degree? What's more is that will a stigma be placed on me for having been a community college student? My goal would be to apply for admission in the fall of 2013 after having graduated that May.

Thank you for your time and consideration, I truly appreciate it.

Mentors,

Just a little about me:I have graduated, and I know that currently I would not be a competitive applicant. (I recently received a rejection letter from a post-bacc program saying my GPA was too low for them).
cGPA: 2.75
sGPA: 2.71
I am currently studying for the MCAT. Also, I volunteer at the local rural hospital and am in the process of becoming a volunteer EMT for my rural fire department.
My questions are:
Should I pursue a masters degree or would it be more beneficial to take undergrad classes as a non-degree seeking student?
Basically, I am willing to do whatever it takes to prove that I can be a successful student. I am just having trouble figuring which path would be most beneficial to raise my gpa.
Thanks for your advice!

I have not done much research, although I am currently working on a paper on an infant mental health project I did with several of my colleagues and will submit it to a social work journal.

Hello Mentors,

I graduated on 2009 with BS in Nursing with a 3.4 gpa: with 1 C and 1 C+ in two nursing classes. I'm now working full time as a registered nurse in a hospital, and also working on my postbacc in which am now taking gen. chem II (chem I already taken in my undergrad with A-) and bio animal function. And will do orgo I and physics I in Fall '11. And orgo II and physics II in Spring '12. Took calc I last semester with a D+!!!!!!!!! (hyperventilating) which really ruined my gpa down to 3.1! And will be retaking it this summer. Then do MCAT and med school application that same year (hoping to get into a medical shool by year '13 :scared:) But will push it a year if my gpa is not as strong as it should be. That being said, would my chem I, taken almost 5 years ago with A-, be an obstacle in applying to med school? And how would D+ in my calc reflect my chances??

Thanks!

Hi,
I have several questions regarding my situation. I am a US citizen who didn't grow up in the states and I'm currently studying at a canadian university. I am in my second year majoring in Kinesiology (bachelor of Science specialized Honours which I don't think being honours has that much of impact) and my stats are:
Over all GPA - 3.76 (with the hope of getting it to 3.8 for this year)
BCPM GPA - 3.60 ( isn't it low?! because most of the science courses I took I ended up with B+ such as biochem, organic, general chem, biology, anatomy, human physiology while I got A?A+s in psychology, piano, health and fitness research methods;it makes me worried that my science courses are not straight A's)
I haven't taken the MCAT yet...I think I should be taking it at the end of this summer.
Volunteer experience: Volunteering in a surgery Clinic at a hospital ( lots of direct patient contact)
Leadership: Peer mentor for first year students
EC: I love playing piano( for which I also took a third level course and I ended up with A+).. I also played at several fundraising recitals at my country for patients suffering from cancer but it was during my highschool( I don't know If I should even mention that or not?)
Research experience: I don't have an official experience; I'm just currently volunteering in a kinesiology laboratory but I am not doing the actual research I'm just preparing material for other masters or doctorate students but i am certainly willing to take an independent study course sometimes during next year or this summer(which depends since I also applied to several other research internships here in toronto and i'll see what would happen with those).I also applied for johns hopkins summer research internship but I was rejected:(.

My Questions:
1)Do you think being a US citizen studying abroad raises some flags for the admission and hinder their decision?
2)Do you think my science background is weak and what should I do about it?
3)for fullfilling the research requirement is it sufficient to do independent study courses(research practium)? I am planning to do 2 with my science profs and one with a nonscience prof(for the fact that most medical schools look at having a balance between science and non-science courses; thereafter I'll be taking further courses such as applied ethics, social science and humanities)
4)having a kinesiology background wouldn't admissions look at applicants differently(in a negative way)?

I mean I really need some feedback about my situation...Since it helps me to try harder to make my application more stronger....
Any input is appreciated...
best of luck for everyone..
:)

I am currently in my Senior year about to graduate in August with my bachelors in Nursing. About a month ago, after a while really thinking about things, I decided that I would like to try to go on to med school. Hoping for some advice on where to go from here. Here is my current situation:

I will be starting my med-school prereqs my final semester of nursing school by taking general chemistry I. I currently have a 4.0 for all classes I have taken; nursing prereqs, nursing school, and other classes just for personal interest. I feel that I will probably do well with the sciences as I have always been strong in math and have also taken physics back when I was in high school.

I am a married father of a 17 month old and I currently work as a nurse extern. I will have 9 months of working as an extern before I graduate. I will most likely get hired on as an RN at this same hospital, probably start working sometime in late September or early October. I will be working as an RN, while continuing to take a couple sciences in the fall. Sometime early next year I will be deploying overseas with my National Guard unit. I would like to at least take an online organic chemistry class while deployed. Any ideas on how this would be viewed? After around a year I will return and have one last semester to finish my sciences while I go back to work as an RN. From there, study for the MCAT and start applying.

Prior to starting college, I was active duty infantry for 3 1/2 years and deployed to Baghdad for 15 months. I figure I should probably consider this employment, even though I was a Sergent and Team Leader and gained valuable leadership experience. I also have a certain military schooling and duty that I believe I could list on its own for leadership as well. Any thoughts on this?

Volunteer work includes helping to found an organization that helps soldiers bring their unit mascots (dog or cat) that they "adopted"/found while in Iraq back to the U.S. My dog I have was actually the first to come home as a result of this organization and I continue to work with them 3 years later. I plan to start working out being able to shadow various physicians in certain areas. Any ideas on how much time I should try and spend with each physician and how much time is good to have total, keeping in mind I will be working as an RN and going to school still.

For hobbies I enjoy playing hockey and also have a passion for writing. I kept a very extensive blog while deployed in Baghdad and I am in the process of turning all that material in to a book.

Finally I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa and I am about to be inducted in to Sigma Theta Tao (international nursing honor society).

So I am really knew to looking in to what I should be doing to help my chances of getting in to med school. I have spent quite a bit of time on here trying to learn as much as I can and I just have questions about what you guys think of what I have so far, and what areas you would suggest I try and work on. Thank you very much!

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding re-application. I am wondering what I need to do to improve my application this year (I am 23 yrs. old).

I have a 30 MCAT (10 on each section) and I have two bachelors degrees, a 3.6 gpa in Biochemistry (I completed the honors program in this degree and also wrote a microbiology thesis that is 46 pages) I have a 3.91 gpa in a Liberal Arts degree.

I have done a year and a half of research, including a full summer almost full time (with zero publications). I have worked three summers as a CNA. I have two years of in depth leadership experience with Alpha Epsilon Delta. I have ~200 hours volunteer work with Hospice and the Hospital as well. I have around 30 hours of physician shadowing, so not super impressive as far as that goes.

I applied to fourteen schools this year: I got an interview at the University of Utah, Duke, Wright State in Ohio, and Medical College of Wisconsin. I got rejected at Utah, Rejected at Duke, Waitlist in Ohio, and am interviewing in Wisconsin on Friday (for a waitlist position).

I have been out of school for a year and have been working as a CNA for Hospice as well as at an assisted living facility.

Everybody tells me different things: Some people tell me that I should go serve disadvantaged people in Africa- they say an experience like this will make my application stand out. I really would love to travel and experience different cultures, but it might be expensive if I have to re-apply.

Other people tell me that I need to re-take my MCAT because it is only an average score. And yet others tell me that I need to do more physician shadowing and get a letter of recommendation from a physician.

I am scared to re-take the MCAT again, because I will want to start studying now and take it in August- however this will delay my application for schools with rolling admissions. I think I can get a better score if I study really hard. My application was not fully processed last year until August 11th- due to transcripts.

I know that this year I will apply earlier, apply more broadly to more schools, and definately do more physician shadowing. I want to include all the amazing experiences that I have had as a CNA with dying patients in my personal statements as well to show how I have matured as a person and what I have learned about working with people who are sick. I would appreciate any advice on the best angle to tackle this re-application! What things have I not considered? Thank you so much!

Also, what are my chances of getting into schools the second time around?

Status
Not open for further replies.