Medical Mission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbtk18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about participating in a medical mission trip to TOGO, Africa in september.

Anyone know how much admission commitees weigh trips like this??

Members don't see this ad.

DO IT!!!!! like you, I was a reapplicant to medical school, with a yr to buff up my app. I went on a two wk med. mission trip to Venezuela and had the most amazing experience of my life. On the interview trail this trip provided me with many stories and chances to show my dedication to the medical profession. This is one big thing ad-coms are looking for, they want to know that you want it, b/c med school is f'ing hard and if you are just there b/c you thought it sounded cool, you won't last. Not just for admission purposes though, this trip will let you see the power of health care, you will gain a newfound appreciation for the profession, as well as how lucky we are in this country to have access(albeit some more than others) to health care.

So go, not only for your app(which is important), but for the experiences you will have, and the growth for you personally.

So yes, I feel my trip had a big impact on my being accepted to med school.

what organization are you going through? and does anyone know of any good organizations that give opportunities like this for students?

lakersbaby said:
what organization are you going through? and does anyone know of any good organizations that give opportunities like this for students?

Dr. Bus should never have taken Kobe out of high school.

Ahem......... As for groups who do this sort of thing, I happen to represent one - called Innovative Humanitarian Solutions. We serve God and man by finding the most messed up areas of the world and doing medical missions there! It is hard but is unbelievably rewarding and I think it will be a good boost for applicants to med school like myself.

Anywho, our website is www.innovativehs.net. Don Heath is the person you may contact or myself, Jeff Cokenour at [email protected]. I think Don is in Pakistan right now, and sometimes depending upon where in the country we are at, email isn't accessible.

We have ongoing work in Karachi, Eritrea, Lhasa, Tibet as well as Tripoli, Baghdad, Delhi, Morroco, Nepal. Darfur and a few other spots.

There are many groups going to these countries, but please, before you select one, find one that has a track record of producing results and not just taking time and money away from others. like in all human endeavors there are some who are just in it for the money and this harms the legitimate groups immensely (Mr. Putin has disallowed many good NGO's because of a few bad one's).

Love to hear from you!!

Blessings,

Sporky.