Medical Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shabu2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in 6-yr OMFS programs!

1. I want to know if you guys had any problems getting your medical license in states requiring more than one pgy year (i.e. washington, nevada, etc), and what it took if your program only gives one year credit for gen surg.

2. Can you explain how programs like michigan, uconn, and harvard get two years pgy, and offical documents that ACGME has that validate this.

My GME office says no way since we are CODA, and not ACGME. We only get credit for one year....period. I say BS, but have nothing to back it up.

Members don't see this ad.

For those in 6-yr OMFS programs!

1. I want to know if you guys had any problems getting your medical license in states requiring more than one pgy year (i.e. washington, nevada, etc), and what it took if your program only gives one year credit for gen surg.

2. Can you explain how programs like michigan, uconn, and harvard get two years pgy, and offical documents that ACGME has that validate this.

My GME office says no way since we are CODA, and not ACGME. We only get credit for one year....period. I say BS, but have nothing to back it up.

I think that Harvard does 18 months of gen surg, which is why they get credited two years...

Your chairman needs to speak with the chairman of the department of surgery to try and facilitate things. Here, historically the chairman of surgery has signed off on an extra year as needed. This will be an interesting thing to follow going forward as MD's further try to protect their turf from us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs that give credit for 2 years of general surgery have the OMFS guys rotate as a 2nd year general surgery resident onto oral surgery for a few months...just like they rotate onto vascular, etc. So they get credit from both sides. At least that's how I understand it.

can you get a year of credit for a fellowship? My guess is you just have to swing it with the surgery department wherever you go.