Medical Laboratory Scientists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if the wrong area, but I really didn't know where else to post.

I've been working in the lab for a couple of years now and interested in becoming a Medical laboratory scientist or Medical Tech. First off I honestly don't know the difference between the two. It seems interchangeable at some locations.
So what do I need to do to make this happen? I have a bachelors in biology. Would I need to take any more classes or just pass the entrance exam (if there is one)?

Please help as I would love to make this move, but having trouble on gaining info about the position.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if the wrong area, but I really didn't know where else to post.

I've been working in the lab for a couple of years now and interested in becoming a Medical laboratory scientist or Medical Tech. First off I honestly don't know the difference between the two. It seems interchangeable at some locations.
So what do I need to do to make this happen? I have a bachelors in biology. Would I need to take any more classes or just pass the entrance exam (if there is one)?

Please help as I would love to make this move, but having trouble on gaining info about the position.

You have to go to an accredited MLS school, take licensing exams and purchase your MLS license. Since you already have a bachelor's degree in biology, it should be easier for you to get accepted. I was previously in this program before deciding to switch gears and attempt medical school. Best friend of mine just graduated last year from a school in TX and is now licensed. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
So a microbiologist spot opened. Talking to the manager there she asked about my bachelors. She said one of her employees had a bachelors in chem and then was able to do bench rotations to be eligible for the exam and then studied for the exam by herself, passed and was hired. She recommended I follow up with ASCP, but their website is not that straightforward, at least at first glance. Where can I find or can anyone tell me what is all required for me to be qualified for the microbio tech positions?