Medical Insurance in the USA for Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been on my mind lately since I'll be losing my coverage in a few months (turning 25 under parental plan).

What are all of you doing, purchasing health insurance through a US company, professional association, gambling that you''ll have no health problems/emergencies?

All of the plans from US companies I've looked at seem a little pricey for the limited benefits provided.

The solution I'm thinking of is taking out a multi-trip travel insurance plan from HSBC Canada (best deal I've found so far). For multiple trips up to 95days in length it is $180/yr, for 125days $289/yr. These are with $250 deductible.

Covers the following:
Medical Services
* Up to $5 million coverage for emergency medical treatment (including hospital, physician, x-ray, lab work, diagnostic services)
* Private duty nursing
* Ambulance services
* Prescription drugs
* Emergency dental treatment

Medical assistance services
* Direct payment to hospitals (where applicable)
* Multilingual assistance
* Contact with family, personal physician and/or employer as appropriate

Non-medical services
* Emergency transportation returning to Canada
* Return of traveling companion when Insured medically transported home
* Return of vehicle or airfare home in event of medical emergency
* Repatriation in case of Insured's death

Members don't see this ad.

Just be careful when you talk about Medical Insurance Coverage purchased for travel in the US.

First off be clear that it's for EMERGENCY use only, IF you have an existing medical condition and you need standard maintenance of your condition FORGET IT! It's not covered.

Secondly be prepared to make a HEFTY DEPOSIT at the door for treatment, that deposits is going to be big and is not uncommon to be in the tens of thousands of dollars. Now don't get me wrong, if you turn up at an ER and are just this side of death they aren't going to twaddle over the deposit, but once you're out of the woods . . . cometh the bill collectors. And just in case you try to pull a bunk without paying . . Hospitals have ways of collecting bad debts. They employ vast armies of nasty but effective bill collectors.

Ok so you travel down to the US from Canada the land of the best health care system going. Your Health Plan will cover you in the US . . .BUT . . only to the amounts that the Plan will pay to Canadian Hospitals . . you get stuck for the difference. And believe me that can be a whopping big bill.

Don't get me wrong, what we do here in the US is top of the line medical care, no corners cut . But be aware that it cost's money to deliver that level of care and down here it comes out of YOUR pocket not the Government's.

Let's hope for a change here so that one day both our Health Care systems mesh and that the only pocket that gets tapped IS the governments . . National Healthcare with no boundaries ROCKS !

Just be careful when you talk about Medical Insurance Coverage purchased for travel in the US.

First off be clear that it's for EMERGENCY use only, IF you have an existing medical condition and you need standard maintenance of your condition FORGET IT! It's not covered.

Secondly be prepared to make a HEFTY DEPOSIT at the door for treatment, that deposits is going to be big and is not uncommon to be in the tens of thousands of dollars. Now don't get me wrong, if you turn up at an ER and are just this side of death they aren't going to twaddle over the deposit, but once you're out of the woods . . . cometh the bill collectors. And just in case you try to pull a bunk without paying . . Hospitals have ways of collecting bad debts. They employ vast armies of nasty but effective bill collectors.

Ok so you travel down to the US from Canada the land of the best health care system going. Your Health Plan will cover you in the US . . .BUT . . only to the amounts that the Plan will pay to Canadian Hospitals . . you get stuck for the difference. And believe me that can be a whopping big bill.

Don't get me wrong, what we do here in the US is top of the line medical care, no corners cut . But be aware that it cost's money to deliver that level of care and down here it comes out of YOUR pocket not the Government's.

Let's hope for a change here so that one day both our Health Care systems mesh and that the only pocket that gets tapped IS the governments . . National Healthcare with no boundaries ROCKS !

Yes, I'm aware that it is only for Emergency coverage, thats all I need considering if I need general/preventative care it will be cheaper to pay cash than to have an $1000/yr plan with a $1000 deductible.

You make alot of very important points that any Canadian should know before travelling to the USA. even for short visits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the fine print on the insurance coverage. Travel insurance companies love to find exclusions to not cover you and the fact that you're "living" in the US and not just travelling might count as an exclusion.

Read the fine print on the insurance coverage. Travel insurance companies love to find exclusions to not cover you and the fact that you're "living" in the US and not just travelling might count as an exclusion.

Good point. I just read their fine print over, can't find any exclusions. The only one that would come close is the a provision that excludes benefits if you misrepresent eligibility - mainly this eligibility requirement: "You are a Canadian resident, and you are insured or eligible for benefits under the government health insurance plan of the province or territory in which you reside."

I'm still a Canadian resident, and I'm still insure by OHIP.

I would write to the company and get a reply in writing that says you would not be deemed ineligible given your specific situation. I have a feeling they won't cover you - they always have an excuse.

Hi, every one this site is more useful to ust o have one of the popular in home daycare businesses. Many people think all you have to do is love kids and have a home. But to have a successful day care insurance, it takes a little more than that. it is provided that health insurance and with an medical insurance in the usa for Canadians.http://www.daycaresurvey.com/