Medical fun facts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kracin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Creating this thread for us to spread some interesting medical fun facts that can create interesting conversation amongst our non-medical friends

* The filet mignon is the psoas muscle

* Treatment for methanol poisoning is often the administration of ethanol

* the pain you feel in your shoulder while running is due to nerve impulses being sent to the diaphragm but getting misdirected to the shoulder

Would love to hear some of the ones you all have come up with

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Latanoprost glaucoma drops have a side effect of increasing eyelash thickness, length, and number. Some people even expressly take it for that purpose!

Reactions: 3 users
AT Still, the founder of Osteopathy, was an MD.

Michael Crichton, the best selling author of The Andromeda Strain and Jurassic Park, was a graduate of Harvard Medical school.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
- pee is stored in the balls
- mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell

• Haha
Reactions: 24 users
Robin Cook who wrote Coma was a Columbia P&S grad. He trained as a navy dive officer and worked with Jacques Cousteau before training as an ophthalmologist.

Reactions: 2 users
The tendinous intersections on the rectus abdominis muscle are responsible for the "six pack" and some people have 3 TI while others have 4. So an 8 pack isn't indicative of being more fit.

Reactions: 4 users
AT Still, the founder of Osteopathy, was an MD.

Michael Crichton, the best selling author of The Andromeda Strain and Jurassic Park, was a graduate of Harvard Medical school.

Crichton also had a big role in beginning the show ER

I've read that there's no record of him actually having an MD lol

To be fair this was in the age where you didn't necessarily have to go to a school to get an MD. You could simply apprentice your way into it. Medicine was way different in the late 1800s and it's really only within the last 100 years that medicine and medical training started really looking like what we have today.

My fun fact: the cranial bones move...

/s

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Crichton also had a big role in beginning the show ER
Very big. He originally wrote what would become the feature-length pilot episode as a movie. He gave it to Spielberg, but that guy wanted to adapt some book about dinosaurs instead.

Very big. He originally wrote what would become the feature-length pilot episode as a movie. He gave it to Spielberg, but that guy wanted to adapt some book about dinosaurs instead.

Yesss that’s right. I forgot about that.
Im rewatching the series now hahah

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair this was in the age where you didn't necessarily have to go to a school to get an MD. You could simply apprentice your way into it. Medicine was way different in the late 1800s and it's really only within the last 100 years that medicine and medical training started really looking like what we have today.

My fun fact: the cranial bones move...

/s
In the gevitz book there’s a part about him claiming he did go to a university to get an MD. The university denied it. BUT maybe that was bc he was starting his own degree and acknowledging him as an alum was bad PR.

fun fact: literally almost all of medicine can be explained by having a thorough understanding of anatomy and biochemistry...and nobody cares about those two classes.

Reactions: 1 users
When a kidney transplant is performed they don't remove the old kidneys. They just plop that bad boy in there ureter and all.

Ken Jeong, ( Leslie Chow) from the Hangover movie series is an MD. He received his MD from Duke.

Fun fact
Pre eclampsia cannot be studied in the lab because no animal model exists. Humans are the only mammals that experience it.( I believe there have been a few rare reports of apes being pre eclamptic, but I cannot elaborate)

You first develop antibodies to other blood types not because your immune system says "ew, bad" to blood but because of gut bacteria expressing epitopes that produce antibodies that are also reactive to other blood types (molecular mimicry). Blew my mind when I read that in the micro book.

The risk of HIV transmission from a single episode of consensual vaginal intercourse with an HIV infected man is estimated at 0.1%. It is 2% for anal intercourse.

One more: you have to drink your own pee as a fetus because it helps your lungs develop properly (fetal breathing movements), and if you can't drink your own pee bc there isn't enough, your lungs may be underdeveloped AND your face may look abnormal.

You first develop antibodies to other blood types not because your immune system says "ew, bad" to blood but because of gut bacteria expressing epitopes that produce antibodies that are also reactive to other blood types (molecular mimicry). Blew my mind when I read that in the micro book.

Do you remember the book name? I'd like to share that with someone.

One more: you have to drink your own pee as a fetus because it helps your lungs develop properly (fetal breathing movements), and if you can't drink your own pee bc there isn't enough, your lungs may be underdeveloped AND your face may look abnormal.

Potter sequence bruh