'Medical' Experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCawyer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Years ago, when I opted to pursue my med/premed career, I considered it a given that being a nurse would be a helluvan assett as an applicant. Admittedly, the committee could be especially sensitive to an 'I know it all already' attitude; however, each of the six physicians that I am familiar with that began as nurses are exceptional practitioners. Is it true that my balloon is to be considered officially busted? Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Could you give some more background? I'm not really sure what your talking about in the above post..???

Thanks.

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net
http://www.medicalstudent.net

JCawyer,
I think I understand what you are saying here. You work as a nurse, right? I also work as a nurse along with pursing my degree in Genetics to evenually go to medical school. I think you are right about the "know it all" attitude, if you have it loose it. As a nurse you are well experienced in the medical field and are exposed to many things. However, there is alway room to learn. Besides a doc, as you know, is waaaay different than a nurse. Somethings are the same though, and that would be the patient. I also know several docs that began as a nurse and they are wonderful at what they do. When interviewing have the attitude that: I worked as a nurse and experienced these awesome things, but remember the reason why you want to be a doc. As a nurse you are involved in the patients line of care a great deal, but a doc is a caregiver, a director, a problem solver and an artist. I think though you have the right idea. Sounds like you are proud to be a nurse and are greatful to experience the involvement that you have, but something is driving you to pursue a docs career. Good luck, I think you have the right idea.

i understand where you are coming from, i am a paramedic in oklahoma and currently attending pre-med classes. a lot of the doctors i work with are currently or have served on the interview board for O.U.. it is my understanding that most of them feel like the experience of working in medicine far outways the possibilty for an attitude. your interview will be the key deciding factor in their final decision.