medical examination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbyrd85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain what the process of physical check-up is ? I'm referring to physical-checkup needed before submitting my application for NAVY HPSP.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please explain what the process of physical check-up is ? I'm referring to physical-checkup needed before submitting my application for NAVY HPSP.
thanks

I take it that your referring to the fact that you need a medical waiver?? Possibly in regard to a pre-existing injury/medical condition. If so, they schedule an appt for you with a physician to evaluate your condition. They determine if it is something that will have a serious negative impact on your ability to perform within your profession or meet physical requirements associated with being in the armed forces.

I take it that your referring to the fact that you need a medical waiver?? Possibly in regard to a pre-existing injury/medical condition. If so, they schedule an appt for you with a physician to evaluate your condition. They determine if it is something that will have a serious negative impact on your ability to perform within your profession or meet physical requirements associated with being in the armed forces.
No i dont have any pre-existing conditions, but they are still sending me for physical check-ups (memps it's called I guess)

Members don't see this ad :)
No i dont have any pre-existing conditions, but they are still sending me for physical check-ups (memps it's called I guess)

Ahh, ya it's just a physical that everyone has to go through. They check your hearing, eyes, urine test, duck-walk in your underwear, spread your butt cheeks, etc. Basically making sure you don't have any physical problems that would keep you from serving, hence the name "physical".

i loved doing the duck walk.

do they check for tooth cavity??

Last edited:
Agreed. Your standard physical is in order. Basically you go to the doctor and if you are somewhat reasonably healthy you are fit to proceed with the application. Good luck!

Agreed. Your standard physical is in order. Basically you go to the doctor and if you are somewhat reasonably healthy you are fit to proceed with the application. Good luck!
do they check for tooth cavity??

No, they dont check for tooth cavity

when do you have to do the pushups + crunches + 1.5 mile run test?

This is depend you that what you need check up or not. If you are well and want to check up than you have to general physician doctor and get help. General check up is the necessary we should take one or two times in years.

Hmm can you go into detail about the medical waivers for a pre-existing medical condition? If you are able to have one, what restrictions are in place? This is in reference to the Army (not sure if they are different for other military).

Hmm can you go into detail about the medical waivers for a pre-existing medical condition? If you are able to have one, what restrictions are in place? This is in reference to the Army (not sure if they are different for other military).

I really think it's dependant on what the condition is. Mine was regarding a previous surgery and screw placed in my wrist and the screening was performed by a local civilian physician. They basically took some x-rays and checked my range of motion. The physician really didn't explain what the criteria was, he just gave me a piece of paper that said I was granted a medical waiver.

I really think it's dependent on what the condition is. Mine was regarding a previous surgery and screw placed in my wrist and the screening was performed by a local civilian physician. They basically took some x-rays and checked my range of motion. The physician really didn't explain what the criteria was, he just gave me a piece of paper that said I was granted a medical waiver.

I'm gonna have to check on this with my army MD friends, but this is how it works...

If you have a preexisting condition that could potentially affect your performance in the military, you need to see an authorized military doctor. If after the examination the doc determines that your condition will not impair you in your field, you get the waiver.

Once you're in, and you develop another condition, or your existing condition worsens and starts to affect you, you'd need to get something called a "medical profile" which basically is an excuse slip from the doctor that excludes you from doing certain physical tasks.

For example, a had a friend who had sever asthma (preexisting condition) and (I assume) she was given a waiver. While in the military her condition worsened to the point where she needed surgery. She could not wear a gas mask properly, so she was given a permanent medical profile saying she cannot wear a gas mask. And of course because she can't wear a gas mask, she was exempt from deployment.

The most common profiles I've seen issued are "No running for the APFT" due to bad back or knees, in which case these soldiers do the 2 mile powerwalk instead of the run.

I had pretty bad eyes and while I was worse than the automatic waiver I was within the waiverable limits. The PA that did my physical wrote 'wavier recommended' but I still had to see an ophthalmologist. I went to my eye doctor at home and he was able to write a letter, waiver got cleared. I don't think it has to be a military doctor, they just approve it in the end.

And what exactly is the duck walk?

And what exactly is the duck walk?

They do a whole bunch of range of motion tests to make sure you can contort within normal limits.

The duck walk exercise is squatting down, grabbing your ankles and walking across the room about 20 feet. Its funny watching a group of grown people doing this racing across the room.