Medical Evaluation Board (Army): Plan "A" or "B"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time contributor but now I come for assistance: I have been told that by the end of the week an initiation for a medical discharge will take place after putting in a few years of active duty service as a pharmacy tech. This has come to a shock for myself but given the new guidelines for non-deployable status soldiers I shouldn't be this surprised. Though part of my condition is with my lower back and feet (jumping from a Blackhawk and rucking contributed to that) the diagnosis has come down to a mental behavioral health disorder. I have been told my "exit" time frame could be within the next 4-6 months.

With much discussion with the wife I have come up with 2 plans:

Plan A: Apply to pharmacy school for the 2019 cycle. I will utilize the post 9-11 GI Bill and have my PharmD completely paid for while slowly chipping away (intern job + disability rating + tax returns) on current undergrad loans which sits at 36k. I already have a B.S. with an emphasis in Biochemistry a few years back.

**Pros: Debt Free with streamline of income while in school
**Cons: Saturation (def. willing to move in any state. Im an outdoor fanatic and dont like living in the city).

Plan B: Here in southern TX, not more than a few miles from where I live, I can enroll for a DIY post bac for roughly 3 years, dedicate my 4th to the MCAT and apply for one more course at a CC to initiate the Academic Fresh Start for Texas schools. During which time I am close to the biggest burn institute hospital in the country and would like to continue my shadowing and still follow up on my own treatments as deemed necessary.

**Pros: Convenience of avoiding another move with wife and two kids, utilizing facilities at the VA depending how my current rating goes.
**Cons: Opportunity Cost (concerns the wife) and assumption of not only an accepted admissions to an MD/DO program, but accumulate student loans at a later time in life.

Background:
***2 year mission overseas (translator) for healthcare departments in the pacific (led me to healthcare)
***B.S. Biochemistry (still not all pre-reqs for medical school though) with a sGPA 3.55
***upon matriculation to Pharmacy or end of first semester in post bac I'll be 30 years old.
***Wife (Bachelors as a Social Worker) with a 4 year old (pre-k) and a 2 year old.

The plan was PA school later in life when my loans are 100% forgiven, but this hurdle came out of nowhere and since it cuts time off my commitment on the enlisted side (with now shadowing physicians and would you know it....love not just working with them but actually seeing what is being done) it has caused me to form another contingency. As for pharmacy school I once was a student years ago but unforeseen circumstances with spouse is what led me to join the military and leave school. Despite saturation, I still find tolerance in pharmacy. Yet, while working closely with physicians these past few years on outer clinics and shadowing, I feel like what I thought I would have hated years ago with MD/DO I now am absolutely intrigued with.

To avoid a longer post please ask additional questions and your thoughts. Going over this in my head so much it gives me a headache (that and stuck doing CQ and admin work for the next short-term stretch). Thanks in advance for any feedback. As a side note, my diagnosis will not hinder patient care or my schooling. That's another story for when another CQ night comes my way.

TLDR; undergoing medical discharge from military by end of year. Go back to pharmacy school with no extra debt on gi bill or push forward with med school after post bac in current location with wife and kids.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not military, but pharmacy and MD/DO are so different that I would say I would find it hard to believe one would have equal passion for both.

If you are really OK not pursuing the MD/DO and doing pharmacy, do that, hands down.

If medicine is really for you, if it is your calling, then all the considerations you have mentioned factoring in don't really matter, like money, moving, etc. Besides thinking about how this will affect your family, of course. If medicine is really for you, you will never be happy with pharm.

Honestly, reading your post, I can't tell which camp you are in. On one hand you are comparing pharm and physician in a way that doesn't strongly support going through the suffering of a physician career. Not seeing the level of commitment that is necessary for success. On the other hand, you seem to hint that MD/DO is your passion, one that you will not be happy without in pharm.

That you are hesitating in giving yourself over to this calling/passion, if that is what this is, is totally understandable. It is one of the hardest roads (I'm thinking of lots of military that say this), and it is always said that medicine is a cruel mistress when it comes to family. I always say you better enjoy your own suffering.

If you can't walk away from this, then you can't walk away, if that makes any sense. If you can walk away, you really should.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not military, but pharmacy and MD/DO are so different that I would say I would find it hard to believe one would have equal passion for both.

If you are really OK not pursuing the MD/DO and doing pharmacy, do that, hands down.

If medicine is really for you, if it is your calling, then all the considerations you have mentioned factoring in don't really matter, like money, moving, etc. Besides thinking about how this will affect your family, of course. If medicine is really for you, you will never be happy with pharm.

Honestly, reading your post, I can't tell which camp you are in. On one hand you are comparing pharm and physician in a way that doesn't strongly support going through the suffering of a physician career. Not seeing the level of commitment that is necessary for success. On the other hand, you seem to hint that MD/DO is your passion, one that you will not be happy without in pharm.

That you are hesitating in giving yourself over to this calling/passion, if that is what this is, is totally understandable. It is one of the hardest roads (I'm thinking of lots of military that say this), and it is always said that medicine is a cruel mistress when it comes to family. I always say you better enjoy your own suffering.

If you can't walk away from this, then you can't walk away, if that makes any sense. If you can walk away, you really should.

Truth be told my post (only second one I started over a 4 year span) is a 'round about way of leaving all possible facts on the table without my own "bias" wants just to make sure I'm deciding with a sound mind and not military-readiness mindset (may not make sense so I apologize) and that the best way to do that is instead of assuming, listen to what others will say and see if it really correlates to what I think. Well, you definitely hit the nail on the head. I as well think the comparison is not one at all. Not even my pros and cons are deciding factors I had to reach for straws trying to push my own wants aside.

Hands down it is the route with medicine and after finally putting out the facts in a written format there is still no comparison. I suppose I'm looking for a devils advocate to fight for each side to see everyone's take. In the end, its the best opportunities I can only get one chance at in life. Education is a religious (deep desiring) responsibility and though I will miss the comradery in the military, I'd like to focus my 80+ weeks from field and job training to medicinal studies and the divine laws/theories presented in and of itself.

I understand the logic of pick your poison. As fun as the military has been in keeping my family together (initially), its time to walk away while I still can (no more possible deployments, no more months away from home for training, time to sleep in same house as my family). I appreciate your comments (and they run very similar to my own self-thoughts which I LOVED to see).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you need 3 years of classes, year for MCAT studying and academic fresh start. I think you’re overestimating how much time it would take to get to MS1.

What basic prerequisites are you missing?
What is your cumulative gpa from all classes taken (there are spread sheets floating around for this)?

Why do you need 3 years of classes, year for MCAT studying and academic fresh start. I think you’re overestimating how much time it would take to get to MS1.

What basic prerequisites are you missing?
What is your cumulative gpa from all classes taken (there are spread sheets floating around for this)?

Appreciate the response:

cGPA 3.65 and sGPA 3.55

However, majority of my courses are outdated with gap years. Couple years of “fluff” classes since I did not claim a major until later down the line and with the military clashing on couple classes those courses ended up being repeats from a WF. Thus the school took the higher grade repeat ( making my grades realistically closer to a 3.2 - 3.3 range).

As for basic prereqs I would want (for schools I’m looking at) would be Genetics / lab, Immunology / lab, second semester course of physics / lab, and an anatomy course (some schools won’t accept my current anatomy since it was EXS not biology based). Of course when using AFS that’d include English and any “useful” science courses not utilize for gpa purposes.

When I say roughly 3 years of post bac (to help make myself clear) I’m keeping in mind I may not start my journey until April or Aug 2019 (~ 1 year from now) plus a 2 yr DIY to help capture outdated courses. When including MCAT study time-to-test-date-to-hopeful time of matriculation it would lead to the following cycle year. This puts me at 4 yrs from now. Realistically can be sooner but I’ll draw out longest time possible for any bumps along the road.

Generally most schools don’t care when you took your classes. Sounds like you have all your classes. Take your MCAT between now and next June and you can be in class summer 2020.

Reactions: 1 users
Generally.
I just quoted you to give you a high-five for completing MS1, if I'm not mistaken?! Hope it went very, very well for you (and am sure it did!).

Generally most schools don’t care when you took your classes. Sounds like you have all your classes. Take your MCAT between now and next June and you can be in class summer 2020.

Agree with this. No one cares how old your classes are except for a handful of schools. Just don’t apply there. Take any prereqs you still need (if any) and take the MCAT. Do tmdsas and apply broadly through amcas just for some more options. You’ll be fine. Focus on the MCAT.

Also, and I don’t know this for sure, but a lot of people on this forum say the pharmacy job market is horrible.

Agree with this. No one cares how old your classes are except for a handful of schools. Just don’t apply there. Take any prereqs you still need (if any) and take the MCAT. Do tmdsas and apply broadly through amcas just for some more options. You’ll be fine. Focus on the MCAT.

Also, and I don’t know this for sure, but a lot of people on this forum say the pharmacy job market is horrible.

Thanks for the response:

By end of year once I’m cleared I’m going to start with the MCAT preparation and take the next year closing small pre-reqs and go from there.

Despite a full-ride I can concur with certainty: Pharmacy is saturated and has evolved even from this past decade. Working close with some physicians on a team within the past couple of years and this past fiscal year of shadowing it definitely has awaken my sense of urgency to move forward on this journey. Thanks for the help

You mentioned something about taking immunology, A&P, etc. FWIW, neither immunology nor A&P are hard prerequisites, and since you're in TX, I can only imagine you'll be applying through TMDSAS (in addition to what you may do OOS). TMDSAS prereqs can be found at TMDSAS Medical: Education Requirements. Since I'm only familiar with TMDSAS I can't comment on OOS prereqs, so I would encourage you to check those out (if you haven't), too.

You mentioned something about taking immunology, A&P, etc. FWIW, neither immunology nor A&P are hard prerequisites, and since you're in TX, I can only imagine you'll be applying through TMDSAS (in addition to what you may do OOS). TMDSAS prereqs can be found at TMDSAS Medical: Education Requirements. Since I'm only familiar with TMDSAS I can't comment on OOS prereqs, so I would encourage you to check those out (if you haven't), too.

Thanks for the post:

Your right on point with the TMDSAS (which I have been using as my outline) for all TX schools. The lose-end pre-reqs are also for expanding my horizons and back-up plans through amcas. It seems like I should validate more faith in myself from military career to civilian-self-student mode and focus on the MCAT. I do appreciate the solidified reference link. It reassures me that I’ve found the right starting point by claiming TX as my state of residence before leaving active duty side. I already see small hopeful victories by doing this.

By end of year once I’m cleared I’m going to start with the MCAT preparation and take the next year closing small pre-reqs and go from there.

Sounds like a plan. Really nail those prereqs and don’t skimp on the MCAT prep. The time gets away from you faster than you think.

You may qualify for Chapter 31 Voc Rehab. If approved, you could have a full ride plus stipend (decent rate since you still have 9/11 eligibility). Also, is TX your home of record? Also, was Texas your home of record when you entered AD? If so, you would be eligible for Hazelwood.

You may qualify for Chapter 31 Voc Rehab. If approved, you could have a full ride plus stipend (decent rate since you still have 9/11 eligibility). Also, is TX your home of record? Also, was Texas your home of record when you entered AD? If so, you would be eligible for Hazelwood.

It’s anticipated I’ll qualify for Chapter 31 voc-rehab (waiting for rating currently) which I’ll definitely take advantage of considering I haven’t touched my post 9/11 GI bill...Unfortunately I do not qualify for Hazelwood since I enlisted from another state then later transferred TX as my state of residence. I never knew about the Hazelwood Act until after joining or else I would’ve moved in with extended family just for the enlistment!!

Thanks for the additional reference and looking out.

It’s anticipated I’ll qualify for Chapter 31 voc-rehab (waiting for rating currently) which I’ll definitely take advantage of considering I haven’t touched my post 9/11 GI bill...Unfortunately I do not qualify for Hazelwood since I enlisted from another state then later transferred TX as my state of residence. I never knew about the Hazelwood Act until after joining or else I would’ve moved in with extended family just for the enlistment!!

Thanks for the additional reference and looking out.

Glad to help, feel PM me if you have any direct Q's about Ch 31, I'm currently approved for med school.

Reactions: 2 users
Appreciate the response:

cGPA 3.65 and sGPA 3.55

However, majority of my courses are outdated with gap years. Couple years of “fluff” classes since I did not claim a major until later down the line and with the military clashing on couple classes those courses ended up being repeats from a WF. Thus the school took the higher grade repeat ( making my grades realistically closer to a 3.2 - 3.3 range).

As for basic prereqs I would want (for schools I’m looking at) would be Genetics / lab, Immunology / lab, second semester course of physics / lab, and an anatomy course (some schools won’t accept my current anatomy since it was EXS not biology based). Of course when using AFS that’d include English and any “useful” science courses not utilize for gpa purposes.

When I say roughly 3 years of post bac (to help make myself clear) I’m keeping in mind I may not start my journey until April or Aug 2019 (~ 1 year from now) plus a 2 yr DIY to help capture outdated courses. When including MCAT study time-to-test-date-to-hopeful time of matriculation it would lead to the following cycle year. This puts me at 4 yrs from now. Realistically can be sooner but I’ll draw out longest time possible for any bumps along the road.

Ok, I just finished my first set of board exams 2.5 weeks ago.

Basically, I was an active duty soldier 3-4 years ago and knocked out Physics, Anatomy, and Micro at the same time in 3 months. I was fortunate enough at the time to be off the list for NTC, so I took advantage of the down time then.

You don’t need 3 years. If you get your stuff in order, you will either be in PA school or med school in the next 12-24 months.

Forget pharmacy school. The bs isn’t worth it.

Finally, I highly recommend Chapter 31 for med school. Look into it.

As my closing follow-up: It’s still being discussed on the discharge and seems like I may just pull through on staying in with temporary contingencies (actually pleased for time being). This gives me a reality check of saving and taking advantage of what courses to consider. Appreciate the responses, and most definitely am saving my post 9/11 for when it matters most. My plan at this point (for my own sake) is once my obligation is up and debt free, utilize academic fresh start and move forward. Thanks for past responses.

As my closing follow-up: It’s still being discussed on the discharge and seems like I may just pull through on staying in with temporary contingencies (actually pleased for time being). This gives me a reality check of saving and taking advantage of what courses to consider. Appreciate the responses, and most definitely am saving my post 9/11 for when it matters most. My plan at this point (for my own sake) is once my obligation is up and debt free, utilize academic fresh start and move forward. Thanks for past responses.

Good luck! #SoldierMedic

Long time contributor but now I come for assistance: I have been told that by the end of the week an initiation for a medical discharge will take place after putting in a few years of active duty service as a pharmacy tech. This has come to a shock for myself but given the new guidelines for non-deployable status soldiers I shouldn't be this surprised. Though part of my condition is with my lower back and feet (jumping from a Blackhawk and rucking contributed to that) the diagnosis has come down to a mental behavioral health disorder. I have been told my "exit" time frame could be within the next 4-6 months.

With much discussion with the wife I have come up with 2 plans:

Plan A: Apply to pharmacy school for the 2019 cycle. I will utilize the post 9-11 GI Bill and have my PharmD completely paid for while slowly chipping away (intern job + disability rating + tax returns) on current undergrad loans which sits at 36k. I already have a B.S. with an emphasis in Biochemistry a few years back.

**Pros: Debt Free with streamline of income while in school
**Cons: Saturation (def. willing to move in any state. Im an outdoor fanatic and dont like living in the city).

Plan B: Here in southern TX, not more than a few miles from where I live, I can enroll for a DIY post bac for roughly 3 years, dedicate my 4th to the MCAT and apply for one more course at a CC to initiate the Academic Fresh Start for Texas schools. During which time I am close to the biggest burn institute hospital in the country and would like to continue my shadowing and still follow up on my own treatments as deemed necessary.

**Pros: Convenience of avoiding another move with wife and two kids, utilizing facilities at the VA depending how my current rating goes.
**Cons: Opportunity Cost (concerns the wife) and assumption of not only an accepted admissions to an MD/DO program, but accumulate student loans at a later time in life.

Background:
***2 year mission overseas (translator) for healthcare departments in the pacific (led me to healthcare)
***B.S. Biochemistry (still not all pre-reqs for medical school though) with a sGPA 3.55
***upon matriculation to Pharmacy or end of first semester in post bac I'll be 30 years old.
***Wife (Bachelors as a Social Worker) with a 4 year old (pre-k) and a 2 year old.

The plan was PA school later in life when my loans are 100% forgiven, but this hurdle came out of nowhere and since it cuts time off my commitment on the enlisted side (with now shadowing physicians and would you know it....love not just working with them but actually seeing what is being done) it has caused me to form another contingency. As for pharmacy school I once was a student years ago but unforeseen circumstances with spouse is what led me to join the military and leave school. Despite saturation, I still find tolerance in pharmacy. Yet, while working closely with physicians these past few years on outer clinics and shadowing, I feel like what I thought I would have hated years ago with MD/DO I now am absolutely intrigued with.

To avoid a longer post please ask additional questions and your thoughts. Going over this in my head so much it gives me a headache (that and stuck doing CQ and admin work for the next short-term stretch). Thanks in advance for any feedback. As a side note, my diagnosis will not hinder patient care or my schooling. That's another story for when another CQ night comes my way.

TLDR; undergoing medical discharge from military by end of year. Go back to pharmacy school with no extra debt on gi bill or push forward with med school after post bac in current location with wife and kids.

I'm an MSIV veteran who then went on to work as a pharmacy tech before entering med school. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about pharmacy vs medicine

Last edited: