medical equipment for first year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows about things we might need for our first year. I am sure the school will let us know eventually, but are there things I can get now or must haves for medical school? I have heard things from people like I might need my own table for manipulation and other things. If this true? Also, I have the opportunity to buy some slightly used equipment, would this be a wise thing to do? If any one can shed some light on these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought maybe i might be able to get my hands on some good used stuff if i knew ahead of time. My mom thought she would help me out so for this past Christmas I received Netter's anatomy, a littman stethoscope, Merck medical reference, and Tabers medical encyclopedia. You gotta love your mom during times like these :clap:

Just buy a Stethascope. They'll try to sell you the Blood pressure cuff and the otoscope and the opthalmascope. Don't waste the money, in class you can borrow other peoples. And the clinics always have an oto/opthalmoscope and bp cuff. Only reason to get oto optho is if doing rural medicine. Also check internet for used books or a half price book store. Lots of good deals on study/review books. Also some of us have finished and sell books cheap. Don't need brandnew books, just ones that are not over highlighted. Ask upper classmen what they used, lots of times the booklist has lots more than is needed. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Stethoscope, sphygnomanometer, etc. don't cost much at all. You might as well get each if you have some spare cash. It's kind of fun and necessary to practice on friends and family. :)

What I'm wondering is how much a microscope costs, and where I can get one. My understanding is that OSU COM requires students to purchase their own.

I know some schools (DMU in particular) wants students to have an OMM table. I talked to someone at my interview who just went to Sam's and bought a massage table for cheaper (and it has more padding).
-Eric

We aren't required to have an OMT table, but a number of us did the Sam's thing.

We are, however, required to buy our own equipment: ophthalmoscope, otoscope, sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, laryngeal mirror, neuro hammer, tuning forks, & I can't remember what else. This gives us our own equipment to use in clinical skills lab & for our multiple rural rotations.

DrMom... How about microscopes. I read in OSUCOM's material they sent me that we have to purchase one. I cannot find one anywhere that would be adequate for med school.

Also wondering if Charlie the Chicken gets TB is a required text there. :D

jkhamlin, I think you've been reading too many of emc2's posts!! :laugh: :laugh:

Yep, gotta buy a microscope, but you should wait until you get assigned a second year mentor because they may be able to sell you theirs. No hurry at this point.

Yeah, I love my OPP table. That's how I make the big bucks in Medical School you know. I've set up "Naughty Scotty's Sensual Massage". Using my madd OPP skillz and some nice hot mineral oil, I'm rollin' in the dough. lol

Just make sure you clean the table off after each "treatment". :)