Medical director responsibilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnew2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are med directors, what are your typical responsibilities?
I feel like I am being asked to do above and beyond what most med directors do - I am working on a significant qI project and apparently they want more quality improvement. I teach residents, have med students, patient satisfaction and scores have gone through the roof.
I am being told I have to do more.
What types of things do you guys do?
I feel that I go above and beyond.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve seen directors do as little as just sign pre-screens.

Others are involved in several Carf/JC certifications, QI projects, protocols, staff/patient education, marketing, physician coverage, etc.

Resident and student education doesn’t have anything to do with being a medical director. And every doctor has to have good patient satisfaction scores. I wouldn’t necessarily group those in with being a medical director.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently interviewed for a couple med director positions at IRFs and turned down those offers as it was too much outside time. One place estimated it was 40 hrs additional work per month. Ill list everything together as most things were at both and some were at just one, but I consider them all med director things.

Duties at those places included:
Organizing call schedule/coverage for all the physicians in dept
Marketing - which was meetings with doctors/admin other hospitals that sent the rehab hospital patients
Sitting on the committees for their certifications - for example, stroke, cardiac, hip, etc
Monthly facility/med exec meeting in person at site
Monthly regional meeting - phone/zoom call
Emergency coverage if doctor on call has issue
Assisting with any Quality Improvement Initiatives that involved physicians or assigning another physician to it if able.
Budget meetings
Working with hospital CEO and meetings as required for issues that occurred.
Assisting in recruitment of other physicians when openings arise
Working with other hospital departments on any JCAHO, CARF, etc audits/inspections

I think that covered most of the stuff that was reviewed with me although im sure there is other stuff here and there. Both jobs came with a lucrative stipend but in the end I wanted to spend more time with my kids. If single I probably would do or if kids were grown and out of house.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I recently interviewed for a couple med director positions at IRFs and turned down those offers as it was too much outside time. One place estimated it was 40 hrs additional work per month. Ill list everything together as most things were at both and some were at just one, but I consider them all med director things.

Duties at those places included:
Organizing call schedule/coverage for all the physicians in dept
Marketing - which was meetings with doctors/admin other hospitals that sent the rehab hospital patients
Sitting on the committees for their certifications - for example, stroke, cardiac, hip, etc
Monthly facility/med exec meeting in person at site
Monthly regional meeting - phone/zoom call
Emergency coverage if doctor on call has issue
Assisting with any Quality Improvement Initiatives that involved physicians or assigning another physician to it if able.
Budget meetings
Working with hospital CEO and meetings as required for issues that occurred.
Assisting in recruitment of other physicians when openings arise
Working with other hospital departments on any JCAHO, CARF, etc audits/inspections

I think that covered most of the stuff that was reviewed with me although im sure there is other stuff here and there. Both jobs came with a lucrative stipend but in the end I wanted to spend more time with my kids. If single I probably would do or if kids were grown and out of house.

What was the stipend?

But we all want to know

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I would not do it for less than 120k/year. All Physiatrist should value their time at $250-300/hr.

Reactions: 2 users
But we all want to know
I will say from the places I have seen they typically value our time at $160-200/hr and say the job takes 20-40 hrs a month. Whatever they say it is ALWAYS more time than that. In my opinion if I want more money I would rather take on more patients and not deal with the managerial headaches. Give me another admit and save me a multi hour board meeting.

Reactions: 1 users
I would not do it for less than 120k/year. All Physiatrist should value their time at $250-300/hr.
Size/type of the unit matters.

Medical director of a 14 bed unit vs a 40 bed freestanding rehab hospital is a huge difference in amount of work. At the latter, you're effectively the CMO, overseeing multiple committees, managing all the docs (including consulting docs, etc).

I agree, one should ideally be bringing in at least $200/hr.

Reactions: 1 users