Medical Device Research/ Engineering and Trying to Find Grant $$ for it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StevenRF

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a good place to search for grant money for medical device research for a student? Everything I've seen so far that are "open" grants for the topic of your choice always seem to have numerous exclusions, one of which being no device R&D. The closest I've found was money for radiology, since there is a lot of algorithmic work for the scan analysis, but everything else is the typical bench work. Would it be wiser to look toward industry? I know their are summer internships at most biotechs but I have never heard of anything longitudinal not involving full time employment.

Anyway for background, MSII planning for surgery and MD/MBA so I can practice and develop equipment/start a company. Did a couple years of BME research in undergrad, and I want to get back into it. In the process of finding a mentor and looking for funding.

Members don't see this ad.

OREF (Ortho Research & Ed Fund) has small grants for students. You could easily propose designing and testing a device as a project through them.