Army Medic Merit Badges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What sort of merit badges, certifications, training, etc. help medics (particularly the junior enlisted) advance in their career? I know the senior enlisted folks are going to be more useful to guide them, but I feel like I should be at least somewhat in tune with how to help them succeed.

Members don't see this ad.

By career advancement do you mean promotion?

Career advancement (aka promotion) is mostly determined by time in service, being a good "airman", and ass kissing. Unfortunately clinical certifications and training play little if any role beyond the basic stuff that's required. I don't think anyone cared that I had done ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, ABLS, etc... Its almost comical looking back now.

For the most part, the .mil only wants to train competent medics in the easiest and cheapest way possible.

At least that was my experience in the AF.

There are different rules for NG vs AR vs AD for promotions so some of these may not be pertinent to your particular environment however, in general, for enlisted, the best way to advance in their careers is:

college credit or distance learning for promotion points (ACES)
excellent PT scores
marksmanship scores
Excellent NCOER/SNCOER (evaluation reports)
NCO professional development- WLC and the like
Other army schools such as Airborne /Air assault/ expert field medic or possibly even secondary MOS schools
Time in service / time in grade
Awards / ribbons such as ACOM, AAM, bronze star, purple heart, good conduct, combat medic / action badge, etc. Even certificate of appreciation may count.

The majority of these things are self-driven items and unfortunately, there's not a whole lot you can do to facilitate an individual's career advancement other than provide positive mentorship, encouragement, and ensure the unit administrators are getting their jobs done effectively.

**former NG 68W NCO**

The one thing a lot of high speed soldiers without a lot time in service lack is awards. Certificates of achievement are worth 5 promotion points, AAMs 15, ARCOMs 20, driver and mechanic badge 10 (125 possible for SGT, 165 for SSG). If you want to help you could try and identify things they've done that merit recommendation for one of these awards and write them up. Everything else they really need to do on their own (PT, college, marksmanship, military education).